point of view

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for those who sell chins, do you sell them teenagers? or only adults. what is your resoning for this? i am asking this because in more than a year i am going to get a chinchilla. ive already done research for months and plan to until i get my chinchilla, and after i get him/her also. i am 16. does it depend on the teen?

I am 16 also, and I sell to kids over 12, but their parents MUST be with them. There is usually a verbal agreement that the adult takes responsibility of the chin.

We do sell to minors, but we do have to talk to the parents as well as the minor. We have a form that new-potential-owners fill out, and in the case of selling to a minor, the minor has to fill out the form, and the parent does as well. Doesn't matter if the minor is 17 and turning 18 in a month or if they're younger, this way, we know the parent has knowledge of chin care as well as the minor. We also talk to the parents about chin care and verify that the minor is allowed to have the chin, about temperature of the house, that kind of stuff. That way there's no surprise when someone young shows up with a chin one day.

It somewhat does depend on the teen. If someone comes to me talking about buying a chin and appears to be intelligent and mature, then we proceed with the above. But if I get an email or call from someone who's acting immature or asking me, well how can I hide the chin from my parents, how can I convince them? Like I have no problem giving information, but I'm not too fond of people trying to finagle their parents into letting them have a pet after the parents say no. But in that case, even if we did get to talking with the parents, that's typically when it would come out that the parents don't want the kid to have the chin... and when they say that, that's the end of it.

We have sold to families that have small children, like 9 or so I believe, but that chinchilla was being bought as a family pet, not a pet specifically for the 9 yr old (and the mom was going to take responsibility for all the care). The youngest I've sold a chin, where it's going to be the kid's pet, is 13, and I think that's a good age as the youngest I'd sell a chin to (with parental consent).

Last edited:
Ill be responsible for them but my parents will be there supporting me the whole time. ive owned pets and taken care of them since i was 10. ive had rodents, reptiles, fish, and amphibians as pets all taken well care of. im getting a job when i get my drivers liscense (about a year) so i will have plenty of money to take care of him/her. it will be about 20 hours a week at minimum wage so ill have a few hundred dollars a month, if im doing my math right.

Last edited:
We do sell to minors, but we do have to talk to the parents as well as the minor. We have a form that new-potential-owners fill out, and in the case of selling to a minor, the minor has to fill out the form, and the parent does as well. Doesn't matter if the minor is 17 and turning 18 in a month or if they're younger, this way, we know the parent has knowledge of chin care as well as the minor. We also talk to the parents about chin care and verify that the minor is allowed to have the chin, about temperature of the house, that kind of stuff. That way there's no surprise when someone young shows up with a chin one day.

It somewhat does depend on the teen. If someone comes to me talking about buying a chin and appears to be intelligent and mature, then we proceed with the above. But if I get an email or call from someone who's acting immature or asking me, well how can I hide the chin from my parents, how can I convince them? Like I have no problem giving information, but I'm not too fond of people trying to finagle their parents into letting them have a pet after the parents say no. But in that case, even if we did get to talking with the parents, that's typically when it would come out that the parents don't want the kid to have the chin... and when they say that, that's the end of it.

We have sold to families that have small children, like 9 or so I believe, but that chinchilla was being bought as a family pet, not a pet specifically for the 9 yr old (and the mom was going to take responsibility for all the care). The youngest I've sold a chin, where it's going to be the kid's pet, is 13, and I think that's a good age as the youngest I'd sell a chin to (with parental consent).

thank you. i am really looking to get a chinchilla from essentia since she is in my area, and i would love the chance to give a chinchilla a great home. but it said on her website that she will only adopt them out to adults :cry3:

Not exactly on the topic here, but I got my first chin when I was eight. It was from my neighbor, but I did an excellent job of caring for her, and she is still with me today, I understand what you mean by no younger then thirteen, but I think it should be based more on circumstance. (I do agree with the idea of not to minors, but with soome circumstances to be made for children younger, my first chin was mine from when I was eight and I had very little help with her)

I decide who I sell to on a case by case basis. anyone living with their parents must have parental permission. if they are 10 or 90 if you live under someone elses roof they have a say. that is somewhat hypicritcal of me being that my mom and I had my dad thinking I had 3 in his house when I had 30 LOL... I know the trouble though it can bring without someones permission. Heck I even get my husbands ok..or at least warn him when I bring a new animal in. He pays the bills. The person who pays the bills gets more say IMPO

I do not decide based on age though. I gave my nephew a pair of males when he was 6 for christmas (with his parents ok) he is now 9 will be 10 and is still a great chinchilla owner. I have refused to sell to people in thier 40s because they have no sense of responsibility

Very few rescues will rehome a chin to a kid and I don't blame them a bit. You can say you will care for them until you are blue in the face, then comes a boyfriend and college, marriage and kids. Rescue chins are already in a crappy situation because someone dumped them or mistreated them. They don't need to be put with someone else who will only end up rehoming them a little ways down the road.

Yes, I know, not all adults are wonderful, and teenagers are responsible. I've heard it all before. I live with it and know teenagers very well first hand. In "general" an adult who owns their own home, a steady job, etc., etc. is going to win hands down over a kid, I don't care how mature and involved you profess to be.

Bottom line is, it's Crysta's business who she rehomes to and it isn't something that needs to be open for discussion on CnH. If you have an issue with it, talk to Crysta. I reserve the right to sell or NOT sell to anybody and I don't care who discusses it, likes it, or resents it. The chins in my care are my responsibility and I decide where they go - not public opinion.

You took the words right out of my mouth Peggy (Tunes). My own daughter was heavy into all my animals until she reached 15. Then she changed dramatically. Now at 22 years she is coming back to her animal loving roots lol

For anyone looking to adopt from me, let me explain that policy a little further. I don't adopt out to minors, without talking to their parents first, ever. Too many kids try to sneak animals into their home, and I have a no sneaking policy. :p Now, I will adopt out to a parent with minors. I have someone coming to look at a chinchilla tomorrow for her 14 yr old daughter. The daughter and the mother will be taking care of the chinchilla together (as in the mother is ok with taking the chinchilla to the vet, purchasing items for the chinchilla, etc.). I have no problems with adopting out to minors, they just need to take the right steps and have their parents contact me. Just as an FYI, it's like this with pet stores too. I haven't been to a pet store that will sell to a minor without a parent being there.

Last edited:
ok thanks that clears things up and make me feel better. tunes im sorry for the misunderstanding. i think i may have worded what i wanted to say wrong so thats all on me and i understand. i agree if someone doesnt want to adopt out to someone they dont have to. its their choice and i wont hold it against them. you make a great point, i know many teens that i wouldnt suggest should get a chin. ive asked myself the where will i be in 10 years question. and the answer is hopefully i will be finishing up college, my mom and i talked about it and we both agree that i should go to community college for a few years before i go to a university so that i can save up for an appartment. while im at the community college i will be living where im living now, the community college is about an half an hour from my house so there wont be a problem there. also i would never get rid of a pet (pets are like family to me) over a boy friend. ive dumped a boy for my family and ill do it again. if he doesnt like chinchillas oh well its not up to him. and i dont see getting married or having kids as an excuse to get rid of a chin. im good at time management so the chin will always have proper care and an hour a day of playtime. trust me ive thought of this all. i think about this everyday. also my parents say that as long as i pay for it and i still want one as bad as i do now (even after more than a year) than there is no problem with it. but i do agree with you tunes, not all teens can be trusted and havent thought about where they will be in a few years. and shelters and breeders have every right to not adopt a chin out if they dont feel the person adopting the chin will be a good owner. thanks for the response crysta, when i went on your website and saw that i literally had a heart attack. its nice to know that i interperted (dont think i spelled that right) it wrong.

Latest posts

Back