Please help with introductions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FutureDVM

I decided to try and introduce Einstein and BamBam last night, but unfortunately things didn't go too well :(. I tried to read as many different threads as possible before introducing them, and I decided to try doing playtime in the bathroom. Everything started off okay, but then they started kacking at each other and this quickly escalated into chasing and fur-slipping. I was originally thinking Einstein would be the one to watch more closely, since he's quite a bit larger than BamBam, but it was actually BamBam who ended up being the more aggressive one.

After about 5 minutes, I decided to separate them, because I was getting really nervous that one of them would get injured. Einstein also seemed to be pretty freaked out about BamBam chasing him, and I didn't want to continue to stress him out.

After doing a search on the forum, I've noticed a lot of threads suggesting that doing playtime in a large area isn't the best idea, because there's more room for chasing to occur. I'm just wondering where I should go from here. I do have a small guinea pig sized cage that I use during cleaning. I was thinking about possibly using this, since they still have room to move around, but there isn't very much room for chasing. I've also read about allowing the chins into each other's cages so that they can get used to each other's scent. Do you think this is a good idea?

As I said, I just really don't know where to go from here, and I want to do things as safely as possible. Any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated!

There are many methods for introducing chins. I do not recommend introducing them during playtime for the reason you experienced. I have had good success after cleaning a cage and then putting both chins into the cage. I give them a dust bath to share, chew toys and a place or 2 to hide in and see what happens. I recommend doing this early in the morning when most chins are sleeping. You must observe the chins at all times when introducing with this method.

I usually just put them in together and watch them for a little bit. I have had luck so far knock on wood (taps on head). I had 2 bonded females that were together for 2 years that started to squabble yesterday morning. I pulled both out put vanilla on their noses and put them in a show cage. I kept them in there for about a 1/2 hr. I put them back in their original cage. I realized that the white and the another white in the cage next were trying to talk to each other. I then put a cardboard between them which also helped. I also give a speech to them saying they better get along or they will get pelted.

I'm just curious fairly new chin owner but what does the vanilla on their nose do?

I only had to introduce once. Did cage in cage method and once I let them all have the cage I put vanilla on everyone's nose and base of the tail....

I'm just curious fairly new chin owner but what does the vanilla on their nose do?

I don't think I've ever seen the exact reasoning. I figure it dulls everyone's sense of smell so the 'new' chin's scent isn't over powering. Someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though :)

It's supposed to mask the smell of the other chin.

Introductions are stressful! I've only had success twice. For me, I tried to intro two chins and I experienced just what you did, a ton of chasing and fur pulling. One chin (the smaller one too) was trying to mount the other to show dominance but the bigger girl was scared and would run away, slipping fur. So, I decided that they just needed to work out their dominance without the bigger chin running away. I did a smoosh intro, which some people recommend. I used a show cage (which is really tiny, can only fit two chins with basically no room to move around) which forced the two chins to be next to each other but not be able to fight. The smaller chin would mount the bigger one and work it out, but the bigger one couldn't run away.

Having a new, neutral cage might work for you too. Put a dust bath in there, and some new toys, and they may figure it out. Fur pulling is normal and will happen. It's if you see real biting and blood that it's gone too far.

I'm not sure if this will help, but it's what I've experienced.

I always switch cages a few times. That way they can get used to eachothers smell without the other chin being there. Cage them close together or do the cage in a cage. That way the can see, smell, and talk to one another without potentally hurting eachother. After aweek or 2 if things are going well, I hourghly clean the cage your are gonna use, so there are no smells and no chin can claim it as their house. Please do the cage part in the morning on a day you will be home so you can watch just in case they don't get along. Good luck!

Thank you all very much for the advice. I really appreciate all of the suggestions. I will be sure to keep everyone updated on how the intros go.

Back