Playtime - out of cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingola

Ingola
Hi!
How many of you let their chins out of the cage and how often?
I never let my chin out and I wish I could. I am just scared she won't go back in and I will not be able to catch her.
I only scratch her and hold her for 5 mins but I don't think that's enough. She doesn't like being held too long. Or picked up.
Thank you for your answers...

How does your chin get exercise?

I let mine out each night for 1-3 hours, depending on what she wants to do, and how much time I have for her. I totally feel your anxiety about not being able to catch her. But with mine, I just learned that if I leave the door open, she will go back in her cage when she is ready. I've had no issue. Another way is to offer a dust bath, and most chins go straight in for that.

If you don't have a wheel, you probably need to let your chin out for exercise. Otherwise she might suffer psychologically and physically. They need to stretch their legs, zoom around, jump, and explore Just like they would in the wild.

Yep, everyday for usually around an hour. My girls go back in when they're ready. You need to make sure when you do have playtime it's in a chin safe area.

What I have done in the past is to use a step stool, so my chins can hop in and out of their cages at will and put a playpen around the cage. This does not mean that they don't need to be supervised during playtime, it just lets them control when to go back in their cages. Sometimes you can lure them in with (healthy) treats- apple sticks or a shredded wheat square.

I disagree that chins need an hour or three hours of play per night. I have 20ish chins and do not have the time to get them out to run every night. They get out a couple of times per week for 1/2 hour and they are happy and healthy. In the summer, I may let them out less, depending upon humidity levels. I think a wheel in the cage is a good idea as well as a way to burn off some of that crazy energy.

These days my chins are used to being handled by me, so most are pretty easy to get back in their cages.

I would take things slowly if you decide to let your chin out to play. It will get easier as you handle him/her more. Try not to beat yourself up about the lack of playtime. As long as there is room in the cage to run around a bit, it will be okay.

I disagree that chins need an hour or three hours of play per night.

I was not telling OP that they need to let them out for 1-3 hours, I was merely answering the OP's question of how long and often I let them out.

Having the time and ability to do so is a good thing, is it not?

There are a lot of ranchers and larger breeders that do not let their chins out for playtime. They handle the chins and they keep them happy, but they don't have the desire or time for out of the cage playtime. It does not impact the chins' happiness in any way.

Chinchillas will get enough exercise regardless of getting out of their cages or having wheels. They do not atrophy or develop other issues simply because they do not get out. For the most part chins see their cages as safe, comfortable places to be. It isn't torture to keep them inside. No one should make other chin owners feel that way if their chinchillas do not get out.

None of my chins get out every day. There are a lot of chinchillas here and that would be absolutely impossible. Some chins get out four to five times a week, some get less and some do not want to come out for playtime. I raise chins for pets so I have to allow them to understand about getting out of the cage. That means that I must take them out and let them run in preparation for a new home, I don't want them to stress out.

As for the amount of time out of the cage, they don't need an extended period of time out. 15 minutes will usually suffice, more than 30 to 45 minutes isn't necessary. They are most active the first 10 to 15 minutes of being out...after that they are just looking for things to chew and destroy and to escape to non-chin parts of the home. Too much playtime for younger and some older chins can result in instances of hypoglycemia, as well.

I don't think you are doing the wrong thing keeping the chin in the cage and handling her a bit here and there. If that works for you and your chin is a good pet for you, it's fine. Most people want to take the chins out and let them play and that's alright, too. You need to do what you are comfortable with doing!

One thing that I would recommend is trying to handle her more and more and get her used to it. Before letting a chin out to play regularly it is so important to have the trust of that animal. If you have a fearful chin that doesn't want you to touch it at all, it will be very difficult to wrangle that chin and get it back in the cage when playtime is over.

I was not telling OP that they need to let them out for 1-3 hours, I was merely answering the OP's question of how long and often I let them out.

Having the time and ability to do so is a good thing, is it not?

I am sorry, that was not directed at you. There are a number of people who say they feel very guilty or give up their chins because they lack the time to get them out to play every night. I was just pointing out that you can have a healthy chin when letting them out less.

It is wonderful if you can do so, of course.

:)

My bad. I keep forgetting that what applies to other pets and rodents does not necessarily apply to chins. Carry on!

Thank you so much everyone for all your response :)
I did forget to mention that my chin has 2 level cage and a wheel in it. I just really wish I can have her run around my living room like other people seem to do.

I used to take her her to the bathroom before I bought this large cage. But not now.

I let my chin out most days for around an hour. I pick her up and let her play around in my hallway (the only place I have that can be completely chin-proofed), then pick her back up to put her back in. Her cage is in my bedroom, which is unchinproofed, so there's no option for letting her go back on her own. It sounds like, since your chinchilla allows you to hold her, that this might work for you as well. I have a baby gate blocking off the door-less end of the hallway, but stay near it so she doesn't jump over it. Your cage looks pretty nicely decked-out with fun things to do, too. :)

Lately our chinchillas have learned to stay on the couch for play time but before that we had a play pen. To be honest they seemed to like it better than being out in a big space. We had to reinforce the bottom of ours but it worked really well.

First of all, I love the layout of your cage and all of the accessories! My chins have playtime every night, no matter how tired I might be. They really need and enjoy it. We chin-proofed our bedroom and are currently working on an out of cage play area in there, but we also take them in the bathroom from time to time for a change of scenery. I don't know about you guys, but my girl Kana gets especially angry if I don't get them out! Heehee

Latest posts

Back