Playtime is too fun and petstore scarred him. Suggestions?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BaxterJoy

My husband and I have had our chinchilla, Baxter, for month now, and we LOVE him! We got him from a pet store (which I know is not "recommended" but we just couldn't leave him there!). Just bare with me. I want to say all that I can...

I’m happy to say that most of Baxter’s adjustments have been coming along really well. He's drinking and eating healthy, pooping healthy, and becoming more and more comfortable. He has come to relish his daily play time outside his cage which is evident in his constant wall surfing and popcorning and all the happy sounds. Now that some wonderful adjustments are underway, I’m still faced with my current dilemma.

I’m having a little bit of trouble settling on a method of getting him back in his cage after his play time is over. For almost everything else, I’ve been able to find helpful answers. However, everything I’ve read about “coaxing” your chinchilla back into his cage hasn’t really worked with Baxter. He’s too smart for his own good!! It’s like he knows the difference between when we’re just offering him a treat or dust bath out of love, and when we’re doing it to get him back in his home! I’m SURE that it’s because of his year long stay at the petstore that he still has a lot of anxiety about being held, caught, or even handled. The reason I say this is because I saw an example of why that might be on the day before we bought him! I actually told the guy who was “helping” us at the petstore to “Put the chinchilla down and leave him alone!” The guy had chased Baxter around his home until he pinned him up against the corner in order to catch him and once he did, he stood there in front of us holding Baxter in the air, gripping his body while all four of Baxter’s little legs were flailing. It was awful! I know he didn't get much time to play while he was there which is probably why he LOVES it SOOOO much.

I’ve read a thousand different things about handling your chinchilla without causing stress – everything from “give a previously traumatized chinchilla ‘holding therapy’ for five to ten minutes a day no matter what to instill trust” to “be patient and let him come to you – never ever make advances toward him in order to build trust.” We’ve built enough trust with him in the last month that he now feels comfortable jumping on us, sniffing us, he doesn’t run and hide when we’re near him (unless he senses that play time is over), climbing all over us, or accepting treats which is all a huge improvement even from a couple of weeks ago. He lets us give him oodles of attention and affection while he’s IN his cage – he even comes up against the side of the cage seeking it. At first, when we tried to encourage him into our hands from the cage, he’d give a series of pressure bites to let us know he was annoyed, and then he would try to find a way to get down out of the cage by himself. We keep his cage in our bedroom, which unfortunately is not very chin proof with all it’s nuks and crannies and hidaways under the bed. So to this point, every night, we have just made a pathway leading to his chin-safe play area in the livingroom using things like a guitar case, a laundry basket, and computer bag. Building something every night is an inconvient alternative, but I really have been doing everything I can think of to avoid association with life at the petstore. I’m hopful that things will continue to improve over time, and that this part is included in that, but as of now, I’m still waiting to find an easier way to get him back in his cage without stressing him out! We’ve tried to aviod “catching” him, and when it’s a last resort, we make sure to give him a treat once we’re holding him, we hold him a bit giving him lots of gentle affection, and to calm him down before returning him to his cage. The last few nights, I’ve taken the opportunity to pick him up on one of his many hops on my lap. Even this doesn’t sit well with me because I have to do it so quickly and I hate the thought of startling him or possibly discouraging him from jumping onto our laps at all. Help! Maybe it's just a matter of time? I really don't want to be counter-productive, you know?

How big is his cage? Does it sit on the floor so that he can jump back in? That's what I always did with my girls. I just waited for them to hop back in their cage at some point in time and shut the door.
Now that I don't have a chin specific room I use a cat carrier to bring them to the bathroom. And when we're done with playtime I herd them into the cat carrier.
Is the cage small enough that you could transport it to the bathroom for playtime? That way you're in a smaller space so he's more forced to be near you and you won't have to chase him all over the place.

I also recommend giving him a way to get in and out of his cage on his own at playtime. If his cage is at floor level, just open the door. At some point he will go back in and you can just lock him up whenever you want to.
I have Ferret Nation 142's and I bought a set of doggy steps, they fit perfectly under the first level. I let them out, they run around for an hour or so, and then they go back in on their own and I close the door.

The key to getting him to WANT to go back in, is to save his once a day treat for after playtime. I keep oats and crushed rosehips in a little treat jar, and my girls know that they get a babyspoonful of that mixture every night after playtime.

At first, all I had to do was shake the jar and they would FLY back into the cage, but we have been doing this so long now, that all I have to do is walk towards the drawer I keep the treat jar in, and they ZOOM back inside!

:laughitup:

I know you said you weren't keen on the dustbath thing, but I use 1 gallon pickle jars, and the chins can't resist them! They know they're protected on all sides, and climb right in!

Phoenix is somewhat spoiled.. but he has a ramp that allows him to go back and forth when he's ready. The girls are a different story altogether! :p

I know how you feel... I tried everything too. I wound up deciding that I would leave the bath on the floor, a carrier out and open to play in and the cage door opened and whenever they went in one of the above I would bring them back. Also, I sometimes put an apple stick in the carrier so that during playtime they find it and then think there will be more and go in and then I can close it when playtime is over

I know you said you weren't keen on the dustbath thing, but I use 1 gallon pickle jars, and the chins can't resist them! They know they're protected on all sides, and climb right in!

hahah! that is exactly what I do! they hope right in =D

I use a mix of everything to get the girls back in... I have an 142 and the girls are able to get in and out of their cage at all times during playtime, so often they go back in on their own after they have worn themselves out (of course this is the best) Now when I don't have an unlimited amount of time and the girls haven't gone back in, the tricks come out :) Dust bath works for Mitzie, not for Maddie. Mitzie will jump in and I can put the bath house in the cage and just remove it after she has jumped out. Mitzie will also fall for the "pvc tube" trick, I put it in front of her, she will go into it and quickly (ninja style) I put my hand on the other end so she can't get out and I just place the tube into the cage and remove it after she comes out. Now Maddie, doesn't fall for these tricks (no matter how ninja like I am) she must have a sixth chin sense.... but Maddie can be tricked by "follow the rosehip", I just hold a rosehip and lead her into the cage (somehow her sixth chin sense is disabled by rosehips) Above all, I try and reward the girls once they get into their cage. While they are out of their cage, I often act like Santa Claus and add apple sticks around their cage, bamboo shedders, willow balls etc so that when they get into their cage it is exciting for them to forage around, I do the same thing with treats such as oats and rosehips (if I haven't used the rosehip trick on Maddie), now I don't give these after every playtime since they get playtime almost every night but if they are going to get oats, it is not until after playtime.

Good luck, chins are tricky little fuzzyballs :thumbsup:

THANK YOU! Everyone was really helpful. I'm seriously considering get a big jar for his dustbath instead of a bowl. Also, we've been talking about moving his cage in light of what everyone has been saying. The place we would move it wouldn't be too drastic of a change for him and it would be so much easier to just let him out and wait till he goes back in. So I think we'll do all of the above! His cage is in our bedroom at the moment and it's just way too complicated of a room to let him out in. He found his way under the bed last night, and with all the storage bins and wires, it was quite an ordeal to get him out without traumatizing him! Not fun. So thank you everyone for all your help! :)

I have two playpens (for a bigger play area) attached to my chin's cage so she can come and go as she pleases, and she is in a safe environment. I used to give her free reign of the house and she was so quick to chomp into everything. So for me, the playpen works best.

I have a small carrier for Sidney Crosby that we use to take her to the vet so when we take her to the bathroom she just jumps in that and we take her....when shes ready she will go back in the carrier or we "persuade" her to get back into it and take her back to her cage....it works great! I would love for Sidney to just let me pick her up and take her (my last chin was 14 and she would just jump into my hands when I would try to pick her up) but I dont' want to ruin anything!

Latest posts

Back