Pinning of broken leg: 10 months later with X-Rays

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieP

I wanted to share my experience dealing with a broken leg of a chinchilla.
BOWZER was born on 7/10/2009 so we got the Super Pet cage that has 1/2" bar spacing for him and Momma to live in. It came with the DEATH WHEEL (obviously I didn’t know any better). Needless to say, I believe the wheel was the cause. On 9/10/2009 during playtime I noticed his leg dangling behind him.
Dr. Dailey gave us the option of an amputation or pinning. I decided to have BOWZER's leg pinned as I felt it would be better for him as far as being able to live like a normal chinchilla.

These are the X-rays immediately after the procedure: A syringe was used to keep the external fixator pins in place. His whole leg was then bandaged.

54790932.jpg

1withcasing.jpg

bowzercast.jpg

6 Weeks later to check the progress: We waited another 2-3 weeks before removing the external pins.

85513558.jpg

28317604.jpg

Part 2

It took just a few weeks for BOWZER to regain full function of his leg. A few months later we noticed that his leg has been gradually getting fatter. Here are the X-rays/pictures from last night:

imag0272.jpg

imag0268o.jpg
]

imag0269p.jpg

today1x.jpg

today2.jpg

You can see that his tibia is curved. This is not a problem. I was told that his tarsus has some irregularities and this is causing the ‘fat leg.’ Dr. Dailey said there were still growth plates present when the pins were put in so maybe the joint formed irregular due to that.

BOWZER runs, jumps, stands, and scratches perfectly normal with this leg, so at this point nothing is wrong. I have a lot of respect for Dr. Dailey for doing this.

If anyone has any questions, comments, or suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Last edited:
Wow! I'm so glad that Bowzer's surgery was successful! He is such a cutie, I really like the picture of him in the carrier.

As for medical advice... I got nothing.

Dr. Dailey seems to have done a great job. I live not too far from you. I use Eastern Shore Exotic Vet Center in Falls Church (Vienna?), VA for my chins. Where is Dr. Dailey located? I would like to check his/her office out sometimes. I don't have a broken leg chin, thank God..., but just so that I know, if you don't mind, could you tell me about how much the pinning cost you?
I recently threw away four death wheels thanks to advices that I had received on this forum. My chins now have great wheels from Chinchillas.com.

Dr. Dailey seems to have done a great job. I live not too far from you. I use Eastern Shore Exotic Vet Center in Falls Church (Vienna?), VA for my chins. Where is Dr. Dailey located? I would like to check his/her office out sometimes. I don't have a broken leg chin, thank God..., but just so that I know, if you don't mind, could you tell me about how much the pinning cost you?
I recently threw away four death wheels thanks to advices that I had received on this forum. My chins now have great wheels from Chinchillas.com.

I don't think he is technically an 'exotics vet' but nonetheless he did good. He is older and owns 3 large practices around here. The one that I initially brought BOWZER to sent us to his location since they thought he was the most capable to do this. His website is on the X-rays.

Cost? Let me brace myself! The actual procedure was almost $1200 but follow-ups added a few hundred to that. All-in-all with emergency vet (did nothing), regular vet (pain meds), and Dr. Dailey's procedure and FUs, the total cost of this was around $1800. Honestly, I have no regrets.

To everyone who is familar with bone structure:
In the areas circled in red in the images below, what do you think? What is up with the sliver of bone on the 2nd picture? I cannot find any images of a normal tarsus. Does anybody have any?

I'm jealous of everyone that has vets that allow them to have copies of xrays.. My vet tells me that they are properly of the clinic and won't give me a copy. pfft.

I'm glad to see that all is going well!

I cant help on the tarsus issues, i dont have xrays of any. Is it swollen at all? or does he show pain when you touch it? It could just be the way the bone has grown considering he had surgery. With animals and humans, a common thing to happen is for a fracture to grow back on its own because it was overseen. I've seen many cases like this with cats(i work at a vet). It shouldnt cause any pain, its just how to bone fused the fracture together.
I can believe how much healthier this guy looks! He has filled out so much and he was got so much more darker from that first pic. I'm glad everything is better, its probably a good time for you to take a breather, vet bills are disgusting! we all hate them!!!

I don't think he is technically an 'exotics vet' but nonetheless he did good. He is older and owns 3 large practices around here. The one that I initially brought BOWZER to sent us to his location since they thought he was the most capable to do this. His website is on the X-rays.

Cost? Let me brace myself! The actual procedure was almost $1200 but follow-ups added a few hundred to that. All-in-all with emergency vet (did nothing), regular vet (pain meds), and Dr. Dailey's procedure and FUs, the total cost of this was around $1800. Honestly, I have no regrets.

For a cutie like him, yes, it was worth it. You are a great chin owner. A shock treatment over two nights for a chin of mine would have cost me about $850. But, he passed away afte the first night. So, they refunded me and ended up cost me $450 or so. I would have given what I had for his life....

your vet sounds great and im glad hes doing better. i think it was a good choice to get the pinning procedure done, now he can run around and be a normal chinchilla. hope everything keeps going uphill for you

Latest posts

Back