Picky eater

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What exactly is in the pellets? Chins are notorious for picking out the junk and eating it and leaving the healthy stuff. If you are feeding a nutritious pellet food, then there really shouldn't be any type of junk in it..just pellets is all. What food are you feeding?

if you're using nutraphase, i recommend switching to mazuri, it's about the same price and much more nutritious, and kishi switched with no problems at all, no squishy poos, and she loved it and seemed much more energetic after the switch :)
now i don't know if that's the norm, but it was a good selling point for me!

If you're feeding a pellet with treats in it, that's why. If you put a plate of broccoli and candy in front of a child, they're most likely going to eat the candy and leave the broccoli. Same thing with pellets mixed in.

Any pellet with something mixed in is not good for chins. You need to switch to an all pellet diet. Good brands include Oxbow, Mazuri, APD, Tradition, and some rabbit pellets such as Nutrena, and I forget the initials of the other one. Both Oxbow and Mazuri can be found in many pet stores and also some feed stores. The pellets with treats in them can lead to health problems.

and I forget the initials of the other one.

PRCS=Purina Rabbit Chow Show

I agree with the above. There shouldn't be things for him to pick through in the food. Oxbow and other feeds we recommend on the board are readily available in Canada. They aren't nearly as cheap, but what healthy food is? I would do a cold turkey switch to a straight pellet diet ASAP.

i just want to agree with what everyone else is saying. once you take a look at what chins can/cant eat, you'll see that most of the "treats" in the pellets are extremely unneccessary and potentially harmful.

when you go to pets mart, or any other pet store and check out the prices of mazuri and oxbow, you may get a bit discouraged. i remember that i thought it was absolutely ridiculous to pay $16.99 for 5lbs of oxbow. now i buy from another member on here (sandi) and get the same amount for 10 bucks (including shipping).

browse through the forum and get to know the people who sell feed. guaranteed its healthier and cheaper!

i just want to say that i agree with all the above. try switching to a healthier brand (like the ones listed above) you can get it cheaper from many people on here

Latest posts

Back