Physician's Assistants?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pricklesnquills

Anyone on here a PA or even a NP? I'm considering going to school for that and I'd like to hear what you think of it and if you have any regrets, advice or tips?

Wow, a PA is a pretty nice job. Basically takes the place of a Physician in the event they are not available. You can write prescriptions and so on.

I went to school to become a vet tech and currently in Vet school. I know, no help to you.

I guess just research in each field and it never hurts to go into places, call, or email people and ask someone about their job. You can learn a lot that way. You have time to research until you finish high school.

Just do something you love. No since in being stuck in a career that you hate.

I started researching and calling people in the field I was interested in way into my freshman year, my school even offered medical classes.

You can also talk with your counselor at school and ask if they can give you some information on that field, or they might even tell you there are classes to take at your school to see if you even like it.

Good luck in whichever you choose. Both are very good careers.

My sister was a P.A. for 10 years. She went to the University of Florida in Gainesville, which apparently has the best P.A. program around.

She loved her work, but one day decided, as she tells it, that if she "Wanted to practice gold standard medicine, she would have to go to medical school and become a doctor".

As a "non-traditional student" (age 50) she did, in fact return to medical school and is now in her first year of residency in Columbia, MO.

Wow, a PA is a pretty nice job. Basically takes the place of a Physician in the event they are not available. You can write prescriptions and so on.

Not necessarily. You can only do this under a doctor's supervision, and sometimes you have to run every single thing through a doctor before you can write the prescription or give the orders. I used to work in a clinic with several PAs and they all had to get permission from their docs while you sat there waiting. I now transcribe for hospitals, and everything has to be signed off on by a doctor. You don't replace the doctor, you work in conjunction with him. If he's not there, you have to get another physician's signature.

It seems to me that the CPNP goes almost the same length of time as a physician does. I always wondered why they just didn't become a doctor instead. They have to know almost as much, but their privileges are restricted because they aren't an official MD, DO, etc.

Peggy,
I know people who are vet techs and they have told me that although they could've become a vet, they chose to be a tech because you are not solely in charge of someone's life. The big blame goes to the doctor. Surgery, okaying or writing Rx's, and diagnosis, all on the doctors shoulders.

This might be a big one for many of them as well. I'm currently in school for my RN, after I get that and my kids are older I might take some more classes and go for my BSN. Honestly I'm appalled at how many people in the program don't care, and are just barely getting by, and that's all they care about. One lady in my AnP class even asked what the min. to pass was because that's what she was shooting for. I offered to help her study and she was like, no I don't have time. I've been a single parent working and going to school full time, but you MAKE time to study somehow. Is she going to be able to make time to help a person in need, is she going to be able to make time to get those pain meds for my daughter who's in pain, or make time to bring those test results for my husband... That's not a nurse I'd want, and it's not a single case, a lot of them are like that. I got an 87 on my last test and I was devastated that I didn't do better. Not saying everyone is going to be an A student... but at least they should try to do the best they can, not just barely pass. I could keep going but that's a rant for another time. I told my husband I was going to write to the nursing program director with my concern about this being a common thing, but he said it'd probably just cause problems. I guess my theory is if I'm going to bother to do something.. I'm going to give it everything I can. Why waste my time on anything less? Right now.. I'm going to study parts of bones I'll probably never need to know again, but I'm aiming for a 90% or better, if I can remember how to spell them all I'll be doing good!

Last edited:
I don't know Cathy.. bones creep me out! I certainly don't plan on working in radiology or orthopedics!! But I'm sure it's something I'll get over eventually! When I worked with the vet I remember watching him do knee surgeries... The part I hated the worse was when he drilled through the bone.

Before making a decision between Physician's Assistant and Nurse Practicioner really look into each. I don't know much about them but I have worked with people going into each of those fields and there are some things a PA can do that a NP cannot and vice versa. Try to decide what you would like to do and see which profession best fits your career ideals.

I believe one major difference is a PA must always work under a physician and a Nurse Practicioner is able to work on his/her own.

Maybe this will help...............

http://www.wapa.org/pdfs/np-pa_chart.pdf

Latest posts

Back