Petsmart sold me a severely underweight chinchilla, their "vet" didn't realize that.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshesR

Petsmart sold me a severely underweight chinchilla, their "vet" didn't realize that.

First of all, Max is doing MUCH better than he was, but I just wanted to share my experience here because I thought it was completely unbelievable. I've heard horror stories about pet stores before but I thought "Surely that won't happen to me!" ಠ_ಠ

Also, I did not realize he was underweight because he is the first chinchilla I have ever owned, he seemed active and he was still eating. I was completely clueless as well. But I'm not the store selling the animal, and I'm not the vet saying that I'm qualified to assure someone that their chinchilla is healthy.
I'm just glad that I brought him to a better vet, and now I'm going to buy a scale to keep track of his weight in the future as well since I know now that it's a great indicator of whether or not they're getting sick.

This is what I emailed to Petsmart corporate (names removed for posting here). There is a tl;dr!

On March 6th, 2013 I purchased a chinchilla from Petmart.
On March 11th, 2013 I observed him have five seizures late in the day. On March 12th 2013 I returned him to Petsmart early in the day in order to have him looked at by the vets at Banfield. Before I returned him I called and asked if the vets there were used to looking at chinchillas. I was told yes, they do examine chinchillas. At 6:30 that evening I called to see if I could pick him up. I was told that the vet had not examined him yet and would call me back in 25 minutes. I did not receive a call so I called back at 7:30 and I was told that the vet was not finished with him but would be finished by 9:00 when the store closed.

I went to pick him up and the store manager working that evening told me that she owns chinchillas and that the vet at Banfield did not know what was causing his seizures. I was told I could return him but I didn’t want to and took him home. He did not get any better and in fact got worse so on March 22nd I took him to another vet who examined him.

She told me that he was severely underweight and this is what caused his seizures. He had actually gained weight while in my care at this point. She ran some tests and determined he also had coccidia. She told me that he had been very ill for a while because of the condition that he was in. Later that same day (March 22nd) I called the Petsmart that I purchased him from and explained the situation and was told that I would be reimbursed for the cost of the vet bill.

On March 23rd I went to Petsmart and was told by a different manager that I was not likely to be reimbursed for the vet bill and I could have just brought him back to be examined by the Banfield vet again or returned him to the store. I told her that when I had him examined five days after I bought him I was told that the vet was unaware of what could be causing his seizures, which was my motivation for taking him to another vet. I told her that the vet had told me he was severely underweight and that was what had caused them.

I asked her what tests were run on him while he was being seen by Banfield and was told that no tests were performed and he was just observed. I was told that because he wasn’t observed having any seizures at that time, no tests were run. I asked her if he was weighed. She assured me that he was weighed. I asked her how the vet could weigh him but not identify that he was severely underweight. She said she didn’t know.

I asked if there was any paperwork documenting his vet visit and she told me that she could show me the paperwork. Then she told me that they did not have the paperwork and when she asked Banfield if they had the record of it they said that their computers were down so they could not access the information. The manager told me the name of the vet who saw him that day.

I was very confused as to why she would know which vet saw him, that he was weighed, and that no tests were performed without having any access to the paperwork. I am also very confused as to why my chinchilla could have been so severely underweight without that being identified by any of the Petsmart staff or Banfield staff. He weighed 264 grams at the time of the vet examination on the 22nd.
I also told her that he had been housed with one of their other chinchillas at the time who was still in the store, and since he had coccidia they might want to examine that chinchilla as well as the two new chinchillas who were there in the same cage with that one on the 23rd.

If I had known that he could have been so sick and was not examined thoroughly when I brought him back to the vet at Banfield on the 12th I would have simply taken him to another vet immediately. This was why I asked on the phone before I even brought him in if those vets were familiar with chinchillas. I’m very disappointed that he was so ill when I purchased him, that he was not examined thoroughly when I returned him on the 12th, and that I was not able to access any of his paperwork on the 23rd to see exactly what was actually done for him while he was in the care of the veterinarian other than simply being observed.

TL;DR: Petsmart almost starved my chinchilla to death before I purchased him, then asked me twice if I wanted to just return him. Their "vet" didn't know anything about chinchillas and couldn't tell me why he was having seizures five days after I bought him. It was because he weighed about half of what he should weigh. He also came with parasites! Then I took him to a vet who owns chinchillas herself and now he's on the mend.

:( :( :(

Gosh. I am so sorry you had to go through this. I thought the sick animal wouldn't happen to me either.

I bought from a two-store chain pet store and my little boy was very ill. Giardia and very thin. Vet bills $550, on top of $170+ for purchase and cage, etc Tried to get my money back from the owner for the purchase since he was sold sick, and I even provided copies of my vet bills. He told me I could return, but I wouldn't and could never. He then said the vet I see "doesn't know anything" and refused to refund.

I know it's very disheartening to go through this. Joey is now almost 2, (got him when he was about 5 months), and he's healthy, happy and at a good weight! Hang in there. I'm always so sad seeing the PetSmart or PetValue chins. I wish I could adopt them all and make them happy and healthy. :( It's awful.

Just wanted to update Petsmart actually agreed to reimburse me for the vet bills which is surprising. Max is still gaining weight and he loves his medicine which is great. I really hope I can get him 100% healthy and hopefully he won't have too many problems down the line :(

Good for you for continuing to bring it up to PetSmart corporate. I firmly believe that they shouldn't sell animals that the vets aren't prepared to care for.

I'm glad they reimbursed you!

Just a fyi, if you wanted to make a complaint about Banfield, they are owned by an entirely different corporate office than Petsmart.

Glad you got your money back :))

I am glad you were reimbursed and even more glad that you took your chinchilla to another vet to be examined! You didn't just return him (I don't blame anyone that does that, but who knows what and if they do anything about it). You took responsibility and took care of him.

The reason I say, "who knows if they did anything about it" is because I know a few people who used to work at Pet Supplies Plus and some of those stories are horrifying to say the least. They just didn't care much. I can't say that Petsmart is the same way, but I've seen stuff on the internet about where Petsmart and other chain stores get their pets and it's quite disturbing. You can't believe everything on the internet though. Personally, I would rather not purchase a pet or supplies at these chain stores. Sometimes, I have no choice (Hay and fish supplies). Plus, you can get chinchilla supplies online from vendors here and rescues for a lot less- and it's way better quality!

I am really happy everything worked out though and I hope your little chin keeps getting better! :)

That disgusts me. PetSmart has no idea what they are doing and I wish they would just admit fault sometimes. Some of the people that work there will stare at you like you are an awful individual because your chin is sick, or in our case, the chin we bought had congenital heart failure, as did his brother.

I am glad everything got figured out. Keep us updated and keep Max healthy!

What Banfield did is actually pretty serious. As far as I'm aware they're required by law to keep all information on file when they see a patient. Get on their corporate office about that and find out who the regulator for vets is in your state.

Good on you for getting him healthy and keeping on Petsmart :)

What a terrible situation. Those stores are only as good or as bad as the particular manager there. They're too big to be monitored.

I went to PetSmart when I was interested in getting a chinchilla...They told me the chins they had were probably about 4-6 months old (which was probably accurate)....Anyway, I came back a few days later to buy some supplies, and one of the clerks said "One of the chins here died the other day. I'm so sad!" The poor chin died at 5 months old...I can't imagine how uncared-for those poor little things are ): So glad I got my chins from a rescuer....

If people did not buy pets from Petsmart, there would be no profit and it soon would stop selling live animals, people have themselves to blame.

Petsmart has recently started opening "test" stores that sell only fish. Hopefully the entire company follows. Petsmart does not make much money off their live animal sales to begin with, so it's something that could be totally possible.

2 of the petcos around me have stopped carrying chins cause they can't sell them. They have cut way back on their ferrets as well. I'm hoping all the stores start cutting back on selling animals like that and force people to go to breeders.

first of all I hope he's doing better that is a VERY lucky boy to have been rescued by you!!

and now for the most part I 99.9% agree with everyone, but SOME petsmarts ARE good still. I have two local ones, run by the same guy. I used to go in, and see these chins in the glass cages, with plastic crap wheels, plastic igloo, plastic water bottle, etc. and they couldn't even tell me what the food was, it was bulk from corporate :(
well, one day I went in, and there were these two little babies is the case, and well, being friends with the staff, and everything we got to chatting about how disgusting the poor things care was :( I ended up playing with the two, well It was a little boy and a girl. (too young to breed only 10 weeks) and the boy had a sneeze/ cough, we bought him, got him his care, and he turned out fine, a employee took home the baby girl, and got her care as well, they both had respiratory infections. petsmart wouldn't give me a penny. BUT they did something in MY eyes SOOO much better, the manager requested to talk to me, apparently after seing me in anf talking about how is was animal cruelty, etc. he made an executive decision, that them and their sister store would no longer be carrying chinchillas!! as YES they CAN make that decision!
I haven't seen a chinchilla in that store for 4 months or so now, and it is VERY nice to see!! They couldn't give what they needed so opted to instead not carry them. the staff do not recomend anything plastic for the people looking for chin stuff, and almost immediately recommend modifying a CN cage! which well, it makes them more money in the end!! the stuff safer for chins, versus the plastic IS more expensive! and the wood houses will still need to be replaced faster than a plastic one even!! they recomend oxbow over junk stuff, and are an AMAZING team!! YES most pets marts are crap, but you do get the rare one that brightens your day :)

Another good little tid bit is Petsmart as a company is switching all their small animal food to Oxbow.

D.Who is right, many of the employees of Petsmarts have good intentions, they may just be misinformed.

Back