Pet Store hedgie

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgie_kid

Slave to 1 Prickly Pig
We have a pretty lame pet store in a nearby mall that sells hedgehogs. I did buy Hot Dog from the place but they had just recently received the hedgehogs and they were all but babies. When I bought Hot Dog, she was in the very back of the pet store but as I am walking into the pet store I see a sign that says"Baby hedgehogs for $150." And sure enough, there were five hedgehogs showcased in the front store window! If they were going to showcase anything, couldn't it at least be something easier to take care of like a gerbil or something? It's just ridiculous. So I'm leaving the store and I see a hedgehog on its back in a total ball. By total ball, I mean NO FUR VISABLE! In addition to that, the hedgehog is violently shaking back and forth on its back! Anyone know what this is? Other than this, I just wanted to vent my anger.:hair:

That's very frustrating! Those 5 hedgies shouldn't be all in the same cage if they are different genders, which I'm guessing they are, and it probably wasn't a proper cage. The one in a ball was probably scared to death and in desperate need of some privacy and love. The pet store I got Maserati from was not taking proper care of their hogs, so I went in one afternoon when it wasn't busy and asked to hold one. The guy was really nice, and could tell from the way I handled the hedgehogs that I owned one. So, I proceeded to ask (just a simple polite conversation, nothing accusing at all) about food, gender, etc. and explained that they had the hogs sexed wrong and how to do it properly, that they really needed better food, a hidey place, a wheel, etc. Like I said I was super nice about it and the guy really just had no clue about proper care. I left a pamphlet and waited about a couple weeks to come back. Nothing changed, of course, so I reported them to the USDA (they weren't licensed for exotics) and now they haven't carried hedgehogs in months. Unfortunately, they are still keeping chins and ferrets in cages that are too small even for hedgies, so I am about to go in and have another chat or something. But at least they don't carry hedgehogs anymore.

All that to say, you might want to go in and have a friendly chat with them, and see if anything comes of it, or at least offer to leave care pamphlets for potential buyers.

That's very frustrating! Those 5 hedgies shouldn't be all in the same cage if they are different genders, which I'm guessing they are, and it probably wasn't a proper cage. The one in a ball was probably scared to death and in desperate need of some privacy and love. The pet store I got Maserati from was not taking proper care of their hogs, so I went in one afternoon when it wasn't busy and asked to hold one. The guy was really nice, and could tell from the way I handled the hedgehogs that I owned one. So, I proceeded to ask (just a simple polite conversation, nothing accusing at all) about food, gender, etc. and explained that they had the hogs sexed wrong and how to do it properly, that they really needed better food, a hidey place, a wheel, etc. Like I said I was super nice about it and the guy really just had no clue about proper care. I left a pamphlet and waited about a couple weeks to come back. Nothing changed, of course, so I reported them to the USDA (they weren't licensed for exotics) and now they haven't carried hedgehogs in months. Unfortunately, they are still keeping chins and ferrets in cages that are too small even for hedgies, so I am about to go in and have another chat or something. But at least they don't carry hedgehogs anymore.

All that to say, you might want to go in and have a friendly chat with them, and see if anything comes of it, or at least offer to leave care pamphlets for potential buyers.

Wouldn't chins be considered exotic?

Wouldn't chins be considered exotic?

Chinchillas are considered "non-dangerous pet type animals" by the USDA and pet stores that sell only non-dangerous pet type animals are exempt from licensing requirements.

Last edited:
That's aweful!
Poor babies weren't given privacy or proper care!
They aren't like mice, Hedgies like love and alone time!
>[

Latest posts

Back