Pet Store Food

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kara315

Is there any good food for them at pet stores such as petsmart? I've been looking around on here and hearing about alot of products not being good for them, even if they have a chinchilla on the package or say chinchilla on the package. Are there any good types of food for them at petsmart? Just looking online at petsmart the three they seem to have there and in store are the Kaytee Timothy Complete Chinchilla Food, Kaytee Fiesta Chinchilla Food, All Living Things™ Chinchilla Daily Diet. Any of those good for them.

If not what do you use? such as for the pellets/treats. I might go look around at smaller petstores, but if anyone goes to petsmart specifically, what do you get there?

I know it's the owners responsibility to know all about your chin etc....and I know no one here owns the stores so you might not know lol, but it's frustrating for them to have things saying they are for chinchilla's and coming on here and reading from people who know what they are doing that certain things aren't good for them, such as fruit or certain fruit and in the store they have dried fruit or fruit pieces, mostly papya with a chinchilla on the package, you'd think a brand wouldn't sell something for a specific animal if it wasn't too good for them.(Sorry just a little venting/talking on)

Most Petsmart sell Mazuri and some sell Oxbow - the rest of the chows are junk. Both Mazuri and Oxbow are good pellets. Don't buy ANY treats from a pet store. Spoon size shredded wheat is an acceptable treat. Also all the chin safe wood they can eat is a wonderful treat

As far as PetSmart goes, they always have Oxbow Chinchilla diet and some stores had Mazuri, although I haven't seen any at my local PS lately. All of the foods you mentioned above are not the good quality diet we would recommend. The pellets should not contain treats of any kind.

I do buy from PS, but only the (oxbow) hay. I have 22 chins, so I get Purina Rabbit Chow Show in 50 lb. bags from the local feed store. As Shooper mentioned above, a feed store may be your best option.

Many products which are advertised for chins are not good for them at all, making education sites like this (and research) so important. I'm glad you found us. :)

I'm glad I did too. Its not even that I just got my Chins, I've had them for almost six years and did a ton of research then about them to go over it with my parents before I got them. This is one, if not only site i've seen that has been discussing how most petsmart products for them are not good and has really opened my eyes. I've never had a problem with my chins, never once been sick etc...while using these foods, but once I found this site and started reading, i'd much rather switch them to much better food then continuing to give them not so good food just because they've been lucky so far.

I will definatly look at the pellets people mentioned....and might look at smaller petstores that aren't chain stores.

What are some good treats to give them once and awhile with the pellets? I saw a couple from others such as rose hips. Any others?
I'm worried I won't find good hay for them, I've seen on other sites people get them from local producers or soemthing since they are healthier, but don't think I have anyone close enough.

It would be so much easier if petstores had all the good stuff lol.

Thanks for all the replies though, I'm definatly glad they will be eating healthier. I'm hoping to find the brands tomorrow at petsmart that were mentioned(Fingers crossed).

Should I slowly change their food to the oxbow or does it not really matter since the current food is the bad good? I read people slowly switched foods, mixing them before they were use to the new food, but since the food has alot of junk in it, would it be better to just give them the healthier food all at once, or just slowly change it like most?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alot of people recommend a "cold switch", especially if the original food is full of junk and not good. If they won't eat the new pellets, you could always try taking only the pellets out of the old food and mixing it in.

Oxbow hay is good. If your chin will eat it Kaytee timothy it is ok - not the best but if you can't find anything else than it is better than nothing

Ok I will try the cold switch first and if it doesn't work try the other way. I'll definatly look for Oxbow hay while out and see what they have.
I really appreciate all the help, I'm sure Tigger and Eeyore will in the long run too lol.
Thanks guys!:thumbsup:

Petsmarts in southern California don't carry for chins anymore, much to my dismay. Interesting that they carry it for ferrets though and they are illegal in California. Go figure. My chins don't like oxbow; so I order Mazuri from the classified section. Several breeders/chin suppliers will sell it by the pound. The only drag is paying shipping. I'm trying to find someone in socal that sells it so I can drive there and pick it up. However with gas prices, maybe shipping is cheaper. Lol

For people that are closer to me in Arizona I can get very cheap shipping. Kara, maybe if you find someone selling food close to you, you could get a really good price even with shipping. I know that if I send someone 15 lbs of pellets the shipping is $10.85 ($24.65 total), it is less than half of the cost of the petstore even with the shipping. For people close to me sometimes I can send 10 lbs for $5.66 ($14.86 total), or 20 lbs for $8.18 ($26.18 total) for the shipping.

Petsmart and other petstores charge quite a bit for small amounts of food. You are really just paying for the "convenience" and for the fancy printed packaging. If you buy from one of the sellers on this forum, you are helping a small business or a rescue even with your purchase. :) And...saving a ton of money while doing so....

Even with shipping,buying by the pound online is cheaper than petsmart for mazuri. I believe a 2 1/2 pound bag was around 9 bucks at petsmart, which is so overpriced. Just find someone who sells it by the flat rate box.

I'd look for feed stores as well. I can get 25lbs of Mazuri for like $16.99 at a local feed store and it would feed several chins for a decent amount of time. When I bought the 2.5lb bags I was spending over half that for way less food. Now I am on Oxbow with the girls and got my feed store to order me in 10lb bags. I will pay $14.99 for Oxbow though as it is quite a deal more expensive than Mazuri. I'd heard mixed reviews on Mazuri so I decided the girls should be on Oxbow since they are so young. When they are older I might try them on Mazuri since I can get it for so much cheaper.

Back