Pet Store Chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErinsChins

Just out of curiosity, where do pet stores get their chins? Or rather, where do suppliers get their chins.

I ask because a friend of mine owns a pet store and says that all of their chins come in with pedigrees. I am pretty sure she gets from sunpets and somewhere else also. They always seem to be quality chins and she has offered me many times. She will get them at wholesale value for like $40 or something. I just wanted to know a little more about this.

Most pet stores get their chins from wholesalers. The wholesaler goes around the country to various ranches and breeders and buys up the chins, then takes them back to their place for distribution.

I highly doubt that they have a clue where their chins come from. I suppose it's possible if a local breeder is selling to them, but even then it's doubtful the pet store would give out pedigrees. If they did, you could go straight to the breeder next time and cut out the pet store as the middleman, thereby causing them to lose profits.

PetSmart gets their chins from a local distributor. I don't know if they breed on site or not, but it's within the state and they don't come with any information on them what so ever! It's really anyones guess as to age and what kind of health issues or temperament the animal has.

Most pet stores get their chins from wholesalers. The wholesaler goes around the country to various ranches and breeders and buys up the chins, then takes them back to their place for distribution.

I highly doubt that they have a clue where their chins come from. I suppose it's possible if a local breeder is selling to them, but even then it's doubtful the pet store would give out pedigrees. If they did, you could go straight to the breeder next time and cut out the pet store as the middleman, thereby causing them to lose profits.

That's what I was thinking. Are these chins still considered unhealthy poss. malo etc? I've just never heard of a pet store receiving pedigrees. Of course, this woman is a pathological liar and also breeds the animals in the store (which i'm sure has to be illegal, especially the gliders)

PetSmart gets their chins from a local distributor. I don't know if they breed on site or not, but it's within the state and they don't come with any information on them what so ever! It's really anyones guess as to age and what kind of health issues or temperament the animal has.

The local distributor is the wholesaler...he goes around to breeders throughout the country and buys up the animals then distributes them. The distributor does not breed on site he buys the animals from breeders and distributes them.

People seem to have the impression that every chin from a pet store is a maloccluding, fur chewing, heart murmuring, schizophrenic beast of an animal. That's not true. They also seem to think that breeders deliberately breed this specific type of animal to go to pet stores - again, not true.

I know I've said this on here a couple times, but I'll repeat it. Here's how it works:

A wholesaler is contacted by a company, like Petsmart or Petco (who, by the way, do not get their chins strictly from in state). They tell the wholesaler they need X amount of chins. The wholesaler contacts the people he buys from, generally large ranchers because they have a large number of offspring. He goes to the ranch, and the rancher starts pulling out chins. Sometimes they are just 6 week old babies from under mom, sometimes they are older chins that were unable to be sold or used, but they are small so they pass as "young" chins. You could literally be sitting on the next grand show champion animal. There's no way for a breeder to know when he pulls a young kit and hands it over.

The wholesaler then takes them back to his place, puts them in holding pens in preparation for shipping them to the various companies, who then divvy them up between their stores. At that point, I doubt he knows where they come from, and he surely can't tell age, birthdate, pedigree or anything else, because he never receives it.

I totally understand Peggy's explanation about what quality or not,.. the petstore chin may or may not be. I think they must be at greater risk of some other illnesses though having been kept around so many other species right? I know at some petsores here bunnies are kept right next to or above the chinnies.

In Quebec, most pet stores get their chins either from:

A- A local 'breeder' ( a family with 2 chins that let's 'nature' do its work - as in leaving a couple together all year round, or any 'hobby breeders' that don't know much about breeding)

B- A big huge farm around Montreal area that sells chins (they also don't have any ped and no clue about healthy breeding, most of the chins do have malo or heart murmurs)

So either way, pet store chinchillas in Quebec are off a bad start... And I have every reason to think it is the same way mostly everywhere.

Although, I DO know of an excellent breeder that will sell his chins to pet stores. But from that point on, if you don't have the pedigree in your hands, how do you know you are breeding well??

I totally understand Peggy's explanation about what quality or not,.. the petstore chin may or may not be. I think they must be at greater risk of some other illnesses though having been kept around so many other species right? I know at some petsores here bunnies are kept right next to or above the chinnies.

thats a good point

There was a petstore in my neighborhood we used to go to while they weren't the best I liked them better than the big chains. We purchased our first ever chin from them and I think we got lucky he's very well mannered, tame, healthy, good weight size nice teeth the works. So a few months later we got to know him better we went back to the same store and i fell in love with a mosaic chin that was just begging me to take her home.

Anyways a few months later this was the sweetest chin ever she followed us around laid on us and was very interested in everything. Then she started to loose weight constantly drooling respiratory infections all kinds of problems. We took her to animal 911, ness exotics, she was on pain medication got nebulizer treatments everything. I must of spent almost 2k trying to save my little maroos. In the end she had a genetic disorder and ended not being able to regenerate red blood cells.

Putting her down was one of the saddest moments ever. Yet, our other chin is perfectly healthy. But after that experience we went to a breeder to get our little boo's instead.

BTW the pet store bought chins from their customers who bred them at home. FYI

If I remember correct, only USDA breeders can sell wholesale to pet stores, if that is true then your pet store broke the law and should be reported.

If I remember correct, only USDA breeders can sell wholesale to pet stores, if that is true then your pet store broke the law and should be reported.

Anybody can sell any animal to pet stores. You don't need to be USDA certified. I'm thinking you are supposed to be USDA certified if you sell over X amount of money to pet stores a year. Or it might be if you sell X amount you have to declare yourself a broker. I can't remember how that goes.

Peggy is correct. I have two locally owned pet stores here that are constantly contacting me asking if they can purchase my rescues, or if I breed. I called the USDA because I wanted to get these people off my back but they basically said the same thing as Peggy. They didn't give me a # (or they may have and I just don't remember, it's been awhile), or an amount, but I know just a few animals can be sold to petstores legally.

Anybody can sell any animal to pet stores. You don't need to be USDA certified. I'm thinking you are supposed to be USDA certified if you sell over X amount of money to pet stores a year. Or it might be if you sell X amount you have to declare yourself a broker. I can't remember how that goes.

There are different classes of licenses depending on what you do. For instance breeders who sell just to distributors are Class A. Distributors are a different class as are exhibitors. Fees are paid based on your dollar volume although you also have to track number of animals sold.

Here are some stats from their site.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_welfare/inspections_type.shtml

And if you go to the bottom of that link, you can review reports for people that are USDA certified. They're public information.

I believe it's still current that you must have a USDA license if you sell over $500 per year in animals to pet stores and/or distributors. For chins, $50 would be on the low end for what a distributor would pay, so by selling just 10 chins, you would need a USDA license. Distributors are regularly inspected as are breeders (at least once a year but also more often in unannounced inspections). Distributors must show that anyone supplying them more than $500 in animals is USDA licensed, so they'll require it of their breeders -- and they'll rarely work with small breeders. Responsible pet stores will also ensure they buy from USDA licensed breeders if they buy more than $500 a year, but not all are responsible.

And at least in Southern California, the distributors have the animals shipped in (for the Petcos and Petsmarts) or pick up from local breeders (for many independent pet stores). Once the distributor has the animals, they transport them via air conditioned panel or other vans to the various stores on a given route. The route will generally run once or more often twice a week. Stores place orders based on need.

Petsmart has been the exception. Our animals have been trucked in by Rainbow World Exotics in Texas. The trucks leave that facility and go on multi-day runs hitting our stores well into the run. I'm told they have switched to a rather poor local distributor instead, and that distributor has many if not most of their animals shipped in by plane.

And yes, your big distributors merge animals from dozens of breeders who have sent animals to smaller distributors who then send them to larger distributors. You can see the networks through some of the CDC reports when there are disease break-outs that affect humans.

I've been to a number of smallish distributors (mostly Petco or independent distributors), and the best of them keep animals of different species apart and even keep animals of the same species but from different breeders apart. Then, if there is a disease breakout, they know the source. Your distributors range from very good to very poor just as your pet stores do.

On the delivery trucks, though, you will see all animals kept in separate bins or boxes, but disease could spread. Expect giardia in any animal coming from the commercial breeding system. It just won't flare up until the animal is stressed.

And no, even the small local distributors who buy from local breeders and focus on quality animals don't get pedigrees and don't track which animals belong to which pedigrees. I'm told there are a few pet stores who actually fly in their animals from top show breeders (not in chins that I know of) and request pedigrees on each animal. Those animals (hamsters in the case I best know) are sold for a premium, and the purchasers tend to really value quality. Their volume is of course low.

Linda

For chins, $50 would be on the low end for what a distributor would pay, so by selling just 10 chins, you would need a USDA license.

$50.00 would be on the high end of what a broker would pay. I'm pretty sure standards are $25.00 and mutations are $40.00.

Latest posts

Back