Pet store chinchilla food prices

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local feed store often breaks down the 50lb bags of Mazuri and sells them in 10lb or 5 lb incriments. They often do it with other brands too. May be something you want to look into. I just didn't think of that sooner because I go through 5olb every 2 weeks LOL

My feed store orders me Mazuri whenever I ask them to and it only costs about $17 per 25lb bag. Considering it's only a 5 minute drive and that much lasts me quite a while, it's definitely worth it :) I'm not sure how much I should be paying for hay though. Feed store hay is a large bag (not sure of the weight - maybe 10lb?) for about $10... Is this expensive? Certainly cheaper than Kaytee!

I order a 50# bag of Tradition every 3 months from Ryerson's. I pay $14 plus shipping and it is way cheaper than the prices of feed at the pet stores around here.

I quit buying Mazuri when it hit $17 for a 25 lb. bag - found Tradition for $13 for a 50 lb. bag, and my chins gained 15-20%!
I'd never go back!

where do you get tradition for 13 for 50lbs?

Ryerson's carries tradition..$13 for 50lbs not counting shipping. I ordered 50lbs of dust today and 2lbs of their supplement. My shipping was $17.

Even when I only had two chins, I ordered my feed online. It is rediculous(sp?) what the pet stores charge and you have no idea how old the food is either.

I order 50lbs from Ryerson's every 3-4 months. It costs me about $40 with shipping and it always has a mill date within the last month. I thought about switching to Mazuri because I could get it local and I thought it would be cheaper. It's only about $6 less and shipping to my door is actually more convenient for me.

SierrasMom, I bought 50lbs at a time when I had 5 chins and that would last about 5 months. It is my understanding that Tradition is good for 6 months so, as long as you get a fresh bag you'll be good.

Last edited:
I just wanted to post my prices I buy a 50lb bag of food for usually $15-18. I am lucky to live in a farming community and I get a bale (size of horse bales)of Timothy for $6. I have a drum container for it and it stays fresh for quite a while. I was blown away at the hay prices that I saw in the stores. A tiny little bag of it was $8. I did want to ad that you need to be looking at mill and freshness dates on bags of food. I was just buying Mazuri from a local petwarehouse store and I don't know what prompted me to look one day, but I found that the bags were over 6 mos out of date. I switched foods that month and my chins all gained 15% and more of their body weight. Food needs to be fresh, it's very important for healthy happy chins. Especially if you are breeding, you won't recognize your chins when you start feeding good fresh pellets. That's my chinfomercial, feed fresh pellets. He he he. - Jessica

I wish we would get PANR for $15-18 a bag! I'm paying about $22 a bag now, and the prices just keeping going up. We do have a mill that's not far away. I blame it all on those rabbit people around here keeping the prices up! :SarcasmOn:

I'm glad I did all my research before going out to buy a chinchilla. I immediately started buying food from my breeder, PANR. I don't think I have ever gotten anything for my chin at the petstore besides lava bites.

Back