Pet store chinchilla food prices

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essentia

Jax Chinchilla Rescue
I now see why people feed crap food to their chins. I went to PetSmart today to grab some bedding. It's been forever since I have been there, but it's close to my job. I was looking at the chinchilla food and was appalled by the prices. $10.99 for a 2.5lb. bag of Mazuri. Seriously?! I buy a 25 lb. bag for $20.00. I feel so sorry for people who don't know better. They pay more for Kaytee than they would to just order online, but they probably don't know this when they see the prices of the good chin food in the pet store. I find it ridiculous that it is cheaper to buy online and pay shipping than it is to just go to your local pet store.

Just had to rant.

Yeah pet stores are a rip off. I drive about 20 miles one way to a feed store to get my mazuri..but its $17 for a 25lb bag. Well worth the drive for that price.

yea, in the beginning, i didn't know any better! i was spending 8 dollars for a 2.5lb of mazuri!! luckily, i found this forum and i realized that i can get it for SOOO much cheaper and saved SOO much money!!! all the money that i saved i put into a new FN and other cute accessories for my babies!! =)

I quit buying Mazuri when it hit $17 for a 25 lb. bag - found Tradition for $13 for a 50 lb. bag, and my chins gained 15-20%!
I'd never go back!

It's not just food. I ran out of dust, and hadn't gotten my order of blue cloud. So I went to Petco to get some dust to hold us over. It was $10 for 2.5 oz! That's twice as much as blue cloud online!

I quit buying Mazuri when it hit $17 for a 25 lb. bag - found Tradition for $13 for a 50 lb. bag, and my chins gained 15-20%!
I'd never go back!
Wow! I will have to check in to that. I don't know if I can get that in my area. I am just afraid that with only 6 chins the 50lb bag would go "bad" before I could use it all.

I'm the same way. I was buying Oxbow hay and pellets at local pet stores, but the prices just kept going up. I went to a feed store and they ordered me a 50lb bag of pellets and 9lb bag of hay. I only have four chins, but the prices I paid and how much I will save in the long run is soooo worth it!

50lb bag of Nutrina here $12 after tax and delivery to my house. I do not go to pet stores for very much

Until I found this amazing forum, I was buying Mazuri from Petsmart at 9.00 for a 2.5lb bag. I went there this weekend for dog food and the price went up! Plus I didnt know there was a difference with dust. i was ONLY buying Kaytee and Sunseed or Sun something! Thank God I found awesome people here like WWW.QUALITYMUTATIONCHINCHILLAS.COM who has GREAT customer service and Carise from forchinatechins who has awesome variety that I can buy from.

Wow! I will have to check in to that. I don't know if I can get that in my area. I am just afraid that with only 6 chins the 50lb bag would go "bad" before I could use it all.

You can always donate to a local rescue. I use PANR and pay $15.00 for 50 lbs (depends on when, sometimes it goes up to around $18 for 50). When I wasn't rescuing I would buy a 50 lb. bag and donate the extra to a bunny rescue in the area.

Even with donating I was still paying less than I would have buying it in smaller bags at the pet store.

at my local pet stores the only kinda food they have is like in a green bag and has peas and carrots and stuff like that in it. i now feed them panr and its cheaper :)

I am happy that petsmart has started to carry Oxbow. I recommend that to everyone who gets a chin from me because it's not worth getting the 25 or 50 pound bag for one chin and I think the price isn't bad (maybe even better) than the crap food since it's $12 for 5 pounds. Not too bad of a deal for people who do not live in heavy chin populated area.

Oxbow $12.50 for a 10lb. bag

Is that in a pet store or online?!?! If it's NOT online, then what store is that? I've seen that price online, but it ends up being about the same for me with shipping as if I just bought 2 of the 5lb bags in the pet store.

Is that in a pet store or online?!?! If it's NOT online, then what store is that? I've seen that price online, but it ends up being about the same for me with shipping as if I just bought 2 of the 5lb bags in the pet store.

By me, I think it's $14 for a 10 lb bag of Oxbow at the Pet Supplies Plus. I guess I'll find out soon enough when I have to go get more...

I have to drive a bit to pick up my orders. But the farm feed store is a Purina dealer. Thus Mazuri is about $16.00 for 25lbs. The mill dates are about a month. I have 9 chins and keep 50lbs at a time.

Yeah its $12.50 special ordered through a local small pet store. I also order it for about $13.00 when I get a bunch of stuff only from Drs. Foster and Smith if it doesn't increase the shipping cost would already pay without it....it comes out cheaper minus our tax of 9.5%.

my local petsmart isn't too bad, 10$ for a 2.5 pound bag of mazuri,and 5$ for a bale of western timothy hay from oxbow,i but my rabbit food there too, the only thing is that they only have superpet and kaytee dust

Back