Pet Owners and sudden vet bills.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really glad something good happened as well. The story broke my heart thinking about the poor guy in pain or possibly being "thrown away" because of an injury. I'm glad some sense was talked into the guy. I like happy endings. I hope everything is going ok as well.

So pleased to hear the little guy got the surgery he needed.

Personally I always keep a little money in a savings account reserved for such medical emergencies. Even squirreling away $5-10 a week can add up, and literally be a lifeline in times of trouble.
I spent over $1500 on my lovely pig Molly when she had a bladder stone that got lodged in her urethra. The poor dear still didnt make it, but I've never regretted spending the money. I'd have happily paid double or even triple if it could have saved her.

Awww...Newt. You sound like my vet. He's said that people should put a little money away like $5 to $10 a month for when the inevitable problem occurs and then a few years down the road there's some cash there to take care of things.

Sorry about Molly. :( Things just happen. That's the way pets work. Sooner or later there are issues and you are right, the money doesn't matter one bit. Unless that pet is my first chin...he's never had an issue in nearly 15 years...because he's awesome and I am very lucky!

I experienced an emergency with my dog yesterday. She ate up my vet fund, so I had to borrow money from my mom. She is worth it though. I always have places to borrow money from if need be. I wasn't expecting a $500 vet bill yesterday for my dog. A month earlier her bill had been $200. I can't imagine not helping her. She is 13, but I would do anything to save her.

I have not had major health issues with Trixie, but when I had my guinea pig, he had some issues with malo and needed a lot of care before I decided to let him cross the bridge as he was in so much pain. But the thing is, my vet was really good about accepting payments over time.

Back