Pet insurance?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you use the search tab, you can see where this question has been discussed ad nauseum. General consensus is that it often does not cover what it necessary for chins.

My vet says to save up $10 or $20 a month in a special account and then when you need it some money is there to help out. Insurance for chins works about the same way. Save a little every month to make sure it's there when you need it.

So I did a search of this topic after it was suggested (don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place) and have to chime in.

I'm also thinking about getting VPI pet insurance for my future owned chin(s). Having read some of the other threads I don't entirely agree with the general consensus that it isn't worth it. I had a guinea pig for 4.5 years before he passed away and he ended up costing me almost $4K (USD) in vet bills due to multiple unexpected health problems. Paying $50-$100 a year in pet insurance would have been a very small sacrifice in order to have $4000 in vet bills covered. Of course the companies won't cover pre-existing conditions (usually, though the pet insurance for my dogs does), but if you get the insurance at the time you get your pet before it is ever diagnosed with problems, then you will have that reliable coverage later on if/when problems do arise.

I have PetPlan Insurance for my dog and my mother's dog; it has paid for itself 3x over. They have honored every claim and been timely (I hear Pets Best is also good here in the US as well). I wish I could use PetPlan for my future chinchillas, but in the US they don't cover exotics, only VPI does.

I do see how if someone owns a lot of animals (such as breeder, rescue, or someone with just a LOT of pets) pet insurance wouldn't be worth it monetarily, since the premiums would compound and the amount paid into it probably wouldn't come close to any future pay out. But for the person with just 2-3 pets, Pet Insurance seems pretty smart to me.

CareCredit is alright, but now I'm paying a fortune of interest on top of vet bills...all coming out of my pocket. If a pet insurance sends me a reimbursement check though, what money am out? Just the pittance I paid in the premium, nothing more. And yes, savings are good too, but it may not be enough, and I still wouldn't get the reimbursement the insurance provides.

I guess my main concern is: Does VPI regularly honor its claims for exotic pets? That's the answer I want to know. Because my current pet insurance (which I know honors claims because of my own experience) won't cover an exotic, which is why I would consider VPI.

I thought about it and dind't get it... one of my three chins had hand probelems and I've proabbly spent $1K on bills for that, one of my 2 Gpigs has wonds froma fight followed by on-going skin issues and insurance would have helpped. One of my 2 cats had cancer and over ther lifetime it would have been a "break even" situation, but in the last few months it would have saveed us a lot.

I have nver and hopfully will never have to forgo vet care because of $$$, but soemtimes I do whish I had insurance for my zoo. the thing that's hard to know is when will it pay out for "injuries" and "illness" most policies have clauses that say they wont cover some stuff. so is Bugs hurting his fingers and needing xrays and stitches (all the freakign time because he seems to have probelms with the intching and him chewing them) is that covered or not?

That said I oftern go "out of network" for my own healthcare and I pay 100% of my insurance premiums - I'm just ralistic.

As a person who works at a vets office and deals with these claims regularly, I wouldn't bother. The rarely cover anything and when they do its minimal and after they argue and nit pick everything.we regularly get back questionaires asking why specific drugs are used. Everyone knows strongidis used to treat a roundworm infecton in a dog or cat, but they argue that it was a unneeded medication. If they argue the necessity of worming a pet theni don't see how they would cover a big event. I have had clients turned down dogs that were hit by cars that were turned down for reimbursment cause the dog got out of the yard so the owner was at fault. Be sure to read the fine print if you even bother.

I had it for my dogs, but we ended up getting rid of it. Now that we're up to five animals, it's really not worth it. I figure, if something goes wrong, we can afford it. If we can't shell out the cash, we have credit cards.

Back