Pet Carrier Suggestions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morselchip87

Hi All,

Last night I was able to single-handedly kill my air conditioner while pruning poison ivy that was growing around it. :facepalm: Luckily my boyfriend was around and we were able to transport Gizmo to my friend's house in his old cage in the back of his truck - His cage doesn't fit too nicely in my car.

Now I'm looking for a small pet carrier and didn't know if there was a certain size or style that is safer than others. If possible, it also needs to do double duty and serve as a long-trip carrier as I plan on using it to take him from St. Louis to Cleveland for the holidays (roughly an 8 hour drive). Gizmo is fully grown (4.5 years old about) so I don't know if that makes any difference in suggestions.

Thank you!
Michelle

The smaller the better. And the less plastic the better. You want to use a carrier that's small so he won't jump around or get hurt if you have to stop suddenly. Plastic is for obvious chewing reasons. I'm assuming you are taking a spare cage along on your trip?

When I head to Ohio I am planning on taking a smaller cage with me. Either the one he originally came in (which he is in now at my friends) or a small bird cage that my boyfriend has or something else... He will definitely have a larger area than just the pet carrier for that week. I also plan on taking the Ware Pop-up Playpen with me so that he can run around.

Tonight, I'm taking him to my boyfriend's house until my AC is fixed. He lives 40 minutes away so I thought the friend that was 5 minutes away was safer until I get the pet carrier. I haven't tried fitting the cage in my car, but I know I'll have to tilt it all kinds of funny just to try to get it in the backseat and I don't want to do that with Gizmo in it. And if it doesn't fit, I'll use the spare bird cage he has at his house.

I really should have planned for an emergency like this. :facepalm: I'm worried Gizmo is going to give me the cold shoulder with all the moving and new places.

Has anyone ever just used a small all-metal dog crate/kennel?

Thanks,
Michelle

I transport chins in small cat carriers/pet taxis all the time. That seems to work really well in keeping them safe. There are smaller carriers, but if a chin is going to be in the carrier for more than a few hours I like for them to be in something a little larger. The smallest cat carrier is usually just the perfect size.

There isnt much choice. I use the same type small pet taxi. Sure they chew on it a bit but Ive never had a medical issue with any of my chins. Once they are in the car they usually dont care about that stuff. Only other option is a show carrier.

I have used the plastic cat carriers for years with no problems with chewing plastic, chins usually pass out in them on car rides. I would not use it for overnight or leaving the chin unattended, for that I would use my three hole carrier. But for vet visits or car rides no problem.

I have used this exact same one and he chewed most of it off and there's a huge hole in it. I wouldn't recommend this for a chinchilla, because when they want to get out, they will chew the windows and the top.

What windows and top? I can see the air holes but how could the chin chew through the solid plastic top, that would be a new one on me.

What windows and top? I can see the air holes but how could the chin chew through the solid plastic top, that would be a new one on me.

I meant the airholes on the side, he chewed the sides and for the top, there is like this plastic thing that sticks out for the dog leash I remember and there is a huge hole on the top and the sides are all chewed off.
The areas where he chewed:
iverea.jpg

Last edited:
I use the metal carriers from bassequipment.com. I used to use the pet taxi carriers, but I had a male chew through the little air holes overnight so I switched to all metal.
carrier.jpg

If the OP wants a metal carrier, chinchillas to go makes really nice metal carrier, my three hole carriers-people will often buy a 2 hole carrier and use the second hole to store food, hay and toys. Chinchillas to go can be reached at [email protected]

carrier.jpg

As far as the plastic carriers, if the chin chews it its obvious the chin cannot stay in a plastic carrier, but many chins do fine in them so they really should not be ruled out as a option for the OP.

Thank you for all the great information!

Since this is more of a last-minute purchase (I need the carrier tonight) I'm going to purchase the plastic carrier. Gizmo loves to chew everything though so I'll keep an eye on him. He won't ever stay overnight in the carrier; it will only be used for car rides.

I appreciate the information on the metal three-hole and two-hole carriers as well. I had no idea where to purchase something like this to begin with. I might end up buying one of those for the Ohio trip depending on if he decides to chew the plastic one this weekend. It might be best just to get one for that long ride anyways. I prefer to drive overnight (less traffic!) and he might be awake and rambunctious for a good portion of it.

Thanks everyone!
~Michelle

Back