People UGH!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smhluvsmh

Whisker Kisses Addict
My co workers make fun of me because I have chins and I often GUSH about them and that's fine but the other day when I took Sterling to the vet for her eye, one of them had the gall to ask " Why I would waste money that way because weren't chinchillas DISPOSABLE pets?". I could not believe that actually came out of his mouth!:hair:Are people really that ignorant and insensitive?

They must be uneducated about chinchillas. So from their point of view they think it not worth spending money on a tiny creature.

I know that you felt offended because you love your chins. But you are doing a great job taking care of your chins because you care and love them. That's all it matters..

If they are uneducated about chinchillas you can explain. But if they are saying it just to pick on you. Then just move on and ignore.

My co workers make fun of me because I have chins and I often GUSH about them and that's fine but the other day when I took Sterling to the vet for her eye, one of them had the gall to ask " Why I would waste money that way because weren't chinchillas DISPOSABLE pets?". I could not believe that actually came out of his mouth!:hair:Are people really that ignorant and insensitive?

Lots of people see mice, rats, hamsters, etc as disposable pets because it is cheaper to replace them than to treat them and they have a relatively short lifespan anyway. Most people are unaware that chins can outlive most domesticated animals and can cost a pretty penny. They also don't realize that they a huge personality that is easy to get attached to. Most people's experience with rodents as a pet was having a hamster for 6 months until it either got out or died and they never really develop a bond to it. I don't gush about Flea (mainly because I don't gush about anything, and it sounds strange when a guy gushes about a chinchilla), but all of my friends ask about him.

Yeah I have had people act about the same with me about chinchillas. Very few people realize how long their life span is compared to other rodents or have any idea of the cost that goes into their care. I think the same issue exists when people purchase them. Yes they might pay $150 or more for them but they assume that's the end of the high costs. I spent thousands on my little malo guy in vet bills. There was at least one $200-400 vet visit every six months and my vet has very reasonable prices. Filing and exam (with xrays) usually was only like $120.

I had hamsters when I was much younger, the small petstore variety dwarf ones. They didn't live very long and no matter how much I tried to handle them they bit me. I was always sad when they died but not anywhere near the extent of losing Raisin, my first chinchilla. I mean I can almost understand not putting large amounts of money into a pet that lives 3-6 months but you form a totally different bond when you have a pet for years. That being the case I'd take even an obviously ill hamster to the vet.

whenever i hear anyone making remarks about smaller pets (rodents, rabbits, etc) being disposable or easily replaced, i ask them if they have a beloved dog or cat and if they would do nothing if that dog or cat got sick, wait for it to die, and then get another. then i say my chins are just like your dog or cat. that usually shuts them up.

Lots of people see mice, rats, hamsters, etc as disposable pets because it is cheaper to replace them than to treat them and they have a relatively short lifespan anyway. Most people are unaware that chins can outlive most domesticated animals and can cost a pretty penny. They also don't realize that they a huge personality that is easy to get attached to. Most people's experience with rodents as a pet was having a hamster for 6 months until it either got out or died and they never really develop a bond to it. I don't gush about Flea (mainly because I don't gush about anything, and it sounds strange when a guy gushes about a chinchilla), but all of my friends ask about him.

I agree that this is how most people view these animals and that it would be cheaper to replace the pet than to take them in for any care. I can see how people may mistake a chinchilla for the same type of replaceable animal. But I don't see how someone at a vet's office could be so naive, and I can't understand how they would actually voice that opinion aloud to you! I can't believe some of the crap that comes out of people's mouths. Yes, they are very insensitive and rude. With so much neglect out there, I find it surprising that a vet's office employee would criticize someone for being responsible with their pet.

Totaly off subject but I am aware that hampsters only live about 1 year if that. I find this very odd because my daughter had one hampster that lived 6 years and one that lived 3. After that we got our chinnies. :)

Totaly off subject but I am aware that hampsters only live about 1 year if that. I find this very odd because my daughter had one hampster that lived 6 years and one that lived 3. After that we got our chinnies. :)

Average lifespan of hamsters is 2-3 years- shorter for some dwarf breeds and longer with proper care and genetics... Unlike my cousin's hamster and lizard that each lived over 5 years (3 hamsters and 5 lizards replaced without him knowing).

Last edited:
I had great luck with hamsters as a child :\ I was surprised when my wife brought home Spunky, 'cause she's not a rodent fan :D Well... so she thought.

Sadly a lot of people see that in rodents, how they are just disposable cheap pets. Annoys me when anyone thinks that about any animal. I'm glad you care for your chinnes as well as you do, bet they are very happy balls of fur!

SIX years? Are you sure it was a hamster then? :p

Hamsters usually live about 2-3 years, I've never heard of a hamster living to six. What a lucky (and healthy!) hamster!

Really.. wow.. When we got ours they told us that it would live up to 2 years..

I get odd looks when I tell anyone I'm taking a hamster to the vet. I agree that people think they are disposable. My hamsters are as much my babies as my chins. Even though one of the hamsters attacks me on site! They wonder why I pay $70, and then the hamster dies two days later. My moms hamster had twisted her teeth and broke the roots. Tried treating her, but it was more humane to put her down.

I had hamsters when I was much younger, the small petstore variety dwarf ones. They didn't live very long and no matter how much I tried to handle them they bit me.

Dwarf hamsters are never nice! they also HATE to be handled. But i know what it feels like to have people think its dumb to want to help a small animal. Even if it is a hamster. Im a huge animal lover and will do what i can to keep them all healthy.

I had the same when Bubbles was being taken to the vets msot days! My manager would ask me to work- and I'd say no my chinchilla has a vet appointment. Her response was "Well, we need you to cover. I'm sure the animal will be fine, you could just get a new one if she dies". I couldn't believe it! I turned round and said. No she is my pet, who has been with me for 9 years. I'm not just going to let her sit there and die when I'm pretty sure I can fight her to the end!" i was so shocked to hear people say that. I honestly couldn't believe it. I felt like slapping a fish in his face t he ignorant little ..... GRR!!.

I get that a lot at work. I have a house rabbit and a chin, and I do gush about them too. But I get called weird and strange. Funny, cos when they gush about their children, I don't say it to them!!!! I don't have nor want children, so my animals are my children.

Next time they say something like that, I suggest you say "well, next time your child is ill, just leave them. After all, they are replaceable too!" :tease:

It's taken a long time, but people at my work now accept that my animals are my babies, and I will spoil them and do all i can to ensure they are around for a VERY long time!

Dwarf hamsters are never nice! they also HATE to be handled. But i know what it feels like to have people think its dumb to want to help a small animal. Even if it is a hamster. Im a huge animal lover and will do what i can to keep them all healthy.

Actually, they do like to be held, but since they are fast little guys it's hard to even get them tame enough to stay on hands because they will be zipping around. People kind of give up once they realize they aren't going to sit still and be calm, it's hard to tame those little guys. Syrians are slower and easy to handle, and are cuter in my opinion! Sorry, I'm getting off topic!

I totally agree though, I know what it feels like to have people think it's dump to want to help animals, any size or shape. I get looks from my family whenever I talk about my animals, but they have started to ignore me and just let me ramble whenever I try to tell them something, even if it's serious, I get ignored. You would be lucky if you caught me not talking about my little furry babies!!

I get that a lot at work. I have a house rabbit and a chin, and I do gush about them too. But I get called weird and strange. Funny, cos when they gush about their children, I don't say it to them!!!! I don't have nor want children, so my animals are my children.

Next time they say something like that, I suggest you say "well, next time your child is ill, just leave them. After all, they are replaceable too!" :tease:

It's taken a long time, but people at my work now accept that my animals are my babies, and I will spoil them and do all i can to ensure they are around for a VERY long time!

Haha! That's exactly what I feel like saying to people! I'm sick of the looks and remarks of ignorance.. Whenever people want me to go back to NY to visit them, I try to explain that I can't leave Chester alone for that long..even one day makes me feel uneasy. And they're like, "Oh, please. Leave him food and water and he'll be fine for a few days." It just sets me off so bad.. he means the absolute world to me and I would never risk anything happening to him-especially if I'm not even in the same state to take care of him. D:

I'm dealing with the same type of comments from my inlaws right now. They think any time a pet requires any kind of complicated vet care, basically throw it in the trash and get a new one. Or they think the dogs deserve better vet care than the chinchilla even though the chinchilla will probably outlive the dog.

I'm in the army reserves, and it kills me to leave my animals. Generally, when I'm away for the weekend, my house mate is at home, and I usually end up sending 5 texts and a phone call to ask if they are ok, what they've been doing etc

This is the 21st century people. Not all people want to settle down, have kids and live happily ever after! Not every man/woman wants to have babies, so for those of us that don't, animals are equals.

I've had some heated arguments at work on the whole kid vs pets situation, and I'm fed up of hearing "oh, you'll change your mind about children" and "but animals aren't the same as children..." **** YEAH, I agree!!!! My animals don't wake me up screaming at 3am, they don't hit, kick, punch, they don't have terrible manners, or make demands every 3 seconds, they don't talk back, they generally do as they are told.......do I need to go on! :hair:

I recommend standing up to people about it. Its terrible that in this day and age that animals are still seen as inferiors to humans!!! Errr, they've been around a sh*t lot longer than we have, so maybe we should be learning from them!

Go on, stand up to the ignorant imbeciles.......it'll make your day!!!

Rant over.....

:thumbsup:

Back