Penelope gave birth to Triplets.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christina Noraas

Christina
This is my first and Penelope's last baby batch. She had them around 7:50 this morning, I haven't been able to weigh them yet. But all three seem to be doing fine huddling under mom, squeaking, and moving around; Penelope seems more angry than usual. :thumbsup:

I haven't really tried to bug them too much, aside from switching out the fleece liner. Any advice would be great, because I have no idea what I'm doing. For those who want them I can try to get pictures of mom and babies up later.

No offense meant but if you have no clue i would have done ALOT of reasearch by now and already have a good idea of what my be ahead of you.

Thanks for the link Stackie, but I've already read that and printed it out. What I meant by I don't know what I'm doing is that there is a huge difference reading about it and actually going through it.

Such as how would I some how mark the kits so I know which is which and stuff like that.

Well there's obviously tons of advice that can be given so if you have a specific question, ask it. Otherwise all the general advice is covered in our breeding and babies section. I have also seen threads asking about how to mark kits: some people use a sharpie and mark the ears. The search function can turn up lots of things.

How soon can you sex a kit? I went off from Tabithas sexing thread in the babies FAQS i believe it was and what I could tell from my three is that I have a little girl and two little boys. Or is this too early to tell? When should their bellies be getting round and firm like described in the thread that was posted they've been sucking away all morning and their bellies don't seem to be getting any rounder or anything. Another thing before I get off the computer for a bit, I read that if I need to hand feed goats milk is what is listed, what about calf replacer? My mom is picking up goats milk for me at the moment just in case but i was curious if calf replacer would work?

You can sex right after birth but it's a good idea to recheck in a few days or even hours if you're inexperienced. Baby chins can trick you because they are so little, boy parts can look like girl parts at first.

You can sex right after birth but it's a good idea to recheck in a few days or even hours if you're inexperienced. Baby chins can trick you because they are so little, boy parts can look like girl parts at first.

Heck, they fool the more experienced breeders sometimes. It is definitely a good idea to recheck.

(Although it's disappointing if you think you got a female of a certain color and it ends up being yet another male :cry3: lol)

DSCF4139.jpg

DSCF4138.jpg

DSCF4136.jpg

DSCF4140.jpg

DSCF4143.jpg

I don't know why some of them turned out so big, I've resized them on photobucket. :/

Last edited:
Get a weight on them and then weigh them again tomorrow at the same time. do this every day to make sure that they are gaining weight. If they aren't gaining, it means that mom's milk is not in and that is when you will need to help out. Sometimes, it takes 2 or 3 days for mom to get her milk in, so don't panic. Wait 3 days before jumping in.

I use sharpies to mark their ears. A different color for each one.

So far as for weights:

blue tail is at 67 g
blue foot is at 45 g
zero blue is at 39 g

I'm not sure what the average or acceptable weight of a kit is, but I hope they're all healthy.

Those are decent weights, the only thing I notice is the huge difference between blue tail and the other two. Keep an eye on the weight gain.

Back