Pedigrees (on the computer instead of hand written)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razberry224

I wanted to get the details and how easy, good and any bad of doing chinchilla pedigrees with the computer software.

Do you just enter the parents info and then each time they have a baby you click on their name and then just create the babys pedigree, or do you have to type and fill out each and every block. Every time.

How many different ones are there?

Do any of you prefer one over another?

I am have hand written all mine and considering looking into the software, but wanted to ask others first.
Thanks

I was looking into this too- after a long night of making pedigrees! I would love to hear some experiences with software as well.

I have the Evans software. For babies, you just enter in the litter info (how many born, males/females) under the mom & select the male from within your list & it automatically fills in the pedigree information.

Evans is really easy to use. i really didnt see the point in getting any program when i had about ten or so but now that i am over 40 evans makes it so much easier. the hardest part is putting all your pedigrees in there. but afterwards you just fill in the blanks and it puts it all together for you. plus the people that run it are nice and freindly. its super easy to download and start.
you can also email pedigrees, which is nice also

We have Evans software also it will keep of alot of different things such as show winnings. I like this because we can go back and see which pairings are producing alot of show winner. It also help keep track of expenses/income. Which males are producing the most babies. We are sure glad that we have it.

I keep meaning to get the softwere but I have been dragging my feet. Maybe this year. I have already had 35 kits born I think it is time.

Evan is decent for it's price, but if I could afford it I would use the one the JAGS use. It is so much more detailed. Unfortunately, it's $250.00, sooo, I went with Evans. :)

I've been looking into this and am thinking I will be getting myself Evans as a birthday present. I think that the one JAGS uses is the Mac compatible one (which I'd prefer) but as Peggy said, is super expensive. So I will just run Evans on my husband's Windows desktop I guess. I've heard good things about it and think it will be worth the money.

Evans

Does any one rember how much the evens cost?

Is it a one time fee? or like a yearly fee?

question

Now how do you save so that if your computer ever dies you dont loose all your pedigrees/ work of entering them.

That is why I like my hand written because they can not crash.
But at the same time I dont want to wright up hundreds of pedigrees anymore.

Ours is backed up on 2 flash drives and is also on three computers. With almost 15,000 animals on it there is no print out hard copies and there is no chance Jeri will reenter all those records back into a spreadsheet if they were lost.

Back