Pedigree Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacd061506

I'm not sure if this is in the right place but I have a question about pedigrees I guess. If it's not in the right place please move it thanks.

When a kit is born it is given the breeders ranch letters, the letter for the year of birth and the number of it's birth. But it also has letters after that for it's color...what is the common abbreviations for each color? If someone could list all of them that would be a great referance for me (or anyone else who needs it).

Thanks in advance for all help!!

You really don't need to put an abbreviation of the color on your animal - if you're just asking about showing. When you're filling out paperwork there is a column for the animal number which is JUST ranch brand + and the year letter, birth number. Then a separate column for color, then depending on the show another column for phase.

As far as pedigrees, that is personal preference. On mine, as well as many others, it is assumed the animal is a standard unless otherwise indicated. On my pedigrees if there is something other than a standard in the background I just put the color (mosaic), (beige), (etc) after the animal number or below the line. It isn't a PART of the animal number though.

If you're using a pedigree program there may already be abbreviations or you can make up any you like - as long as people can figure out what it is.

Letters for colors after the ranch brand is not something that's standardized. In fact, I've only seen it on one or two pedigrees, and it was pretty easy to figure out what stood for what since there aren't that many colors, e.g. EB = ebony, BG = beige, SA = sapphire, SC = sapphire carrier. But those abbreviations were chosen by the breeder, it's not something everyone uses and is on the same page about.

what is the common abbreviations for each color?
Like mentioned above it's up to the individual rancher.

The pedigrees I deal with the most annotate like this;

Blank for standard
TOV - indicates Velvet on the base color
sc - sapphire carrier
vc - violet carrier
ebc or ec - ebony carrier, noted in lower case on animals that have no visible ebony but a parent with ebony.
PW - pinkwhite
Mos - Mosaic, only used when there are other mutations; Tov Mos vc
EbWh - White ebony
H. Beige - homozygous beige
psc/pvc/pebc - possible carrier for any of the above.

If you'd like to see a variety of pedigrees I took pictures of all of Ronda's when I listed her herd here. You can see there is quite an array of different styles of notation even within the same herd. :))

Thanks, I wasn't exactly sure how to ask that, and it seems everyone has answered my questions!

Latest posts

Back