Pearl is pregnant :O

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proudmom25

I think it is official. Pearl, one of the chinchillas I recently adopted, is pregnant. When I first got her she was at 580g but had lost 26g in a 2.5 week period. Recently however, I noticed that her and Jade weren't sleeping squished together in the fleece tube as much. And she just wasn't acting her usual self.

I started weighing her every couple of days. In 6 days, she gained 37g (67g in the past 3wks). I was hoping that perhaps it was due to some great food. But today, I found a nipple...extended to her hairline. I don't think I can deny it anymore. Pearl is pregnant. ACK!

Is there a guideline as to how much longer once the nipples elongate? She is with Jade (who is still recovering from her injury). Do you think it would be better to separate them? I will definitely get a maternity cage ASAP and also a few supplies for the upcoming birth.

Off to re-familiarize myself with the process.

Awww, man. Sorry you have to deal with this.
I'm so thankful she's with you. Here's hoping for an uneventful labor and delivery when the time comes.
Can any of the Canadian breeders PM their phone number to Proudmom in case she has questions after the delivery that need answers more quickly than the forum can respond?

Jennifer, just wanted to say--I'm glad Pearl is with you. Read over the FAQ section for babies and that way you'll be be prepared. I know a big thing that seems to happen and catch some owners unaware is if they have to handfeed. It seems everyone has trouble locating fresh or canned goat's milk. You might want to check into that now, just in case.

I'm crossing my fingers for a super smooth delivery and a cute baby to two--no more than that!

Try to feel her belly and see if you can feel any kicking. It'll feel like little flutters. Nipples elongate about 90 days into the pregnancy, so if they just elongated you have about three weeks until delivery, and should be able to feel kicks by now.

However, that's not really much of a weight gain to be this far along, even if she's having only one kit. It has happened before (including to me) that a pregnant chin does not gain much at all, so every chin is different, but I usually don't even begin to suspect a pregnancy until I see 100+ grams increase in weight, even for a single kit litter.

Hey Jennifer
I am still here for you if you have any questions....feel free to email or even call me, I gave you my phone number!

I am glad to hear that Pearl is most likely pregnant, I am hoping that she has a good delivery and that she has healthy kits, but just to say something, you have to recognize in this forum, that when you purchased Pearl and Jade, I mentioned that there was a possibility that they could be pregnant, especially Pearl, because of her belly, and you said that you were interested because she was probably pregnant, and was willing to take on them, so please, don't show people signs of sort of that I sold you the pregnant chin so you had to take care of her on your own and leave you with that responsibility, I wish you good luck anyways, and that everything goes good, I am just saying, so there is no misunderstandings anymore.

take care

However, that's not really much of a weight gain to be this far along, even if she's having only one kit. It has happened before (including to me) that a pregnant chin does not gain much at all, so every chin is different, but I usually don't even begin to suspect a pregnancy until I see 100+ grams increase in weight, even for a single kit litter.

I agree with this. Like I said in chat, that is really not a large amount of weight gain for me to think she's definitely pregnant. If chins have had kits in the past their nipples will be elongated. I went through a building with a rancher who spent a few hours showing me the difference between females who had nursed babies and females who hadn't.

I hope, if she is pregnant, that she has an uneventful pregnancy, but like Kathy said...you DID buy two females that you knew were in with a male so pregnancy in either wouldn't be out of the blue.

When I bought Pearl and Jade I knew there was a possibility that either would be pregnant due to being with a male. I just didn't think she was because of the weight loss and such. So when I saw the elongated nipples I was like ACK. I didn't post this to make it seem like you did this unknowingly to me. It was more of a post to let people know of my excitement, fear and also to make them aware as I am sure a flurry of questions will come their way.

Thanks for the well wishes. I hope all goes well too. :)

I am glad to hear that Pearl is most likely pregnant, I am hoping that she has a good delivery and that she has healthy kits, but just to say something, you have to recognize in this forum, that when you purchased Pearl and Jade, I mentioned that there was a possibility that they could be pregnant, especially Pearl, because of her belly, and you said that you were interested because she was probably pregnant, and was willing to take on them, so please, don't show people signs of sort of that I sold you the pregnant chin so you had to take care of her on your own and leave you with that responsibility, I wish you good luck anyways, and that everything goes good, I am just saying, so there is no misunderstandings anymore.

take care

Yes...I DID know that there was a possibility she was pregnant. I wasn't trying to make it seem like I didn't know. As for her nipples, she has never had kits before so her nipples shouldn't be elongated.

I weighed Pearl yesterday and she has officially gained 102g. I also felt some light flutters. We are all keeping a close eye on her and praying for a smooth delivery.

Thanks for all the well wishes.

I agree with this. Like I said in chat, that is really not a large amount of weight gain for me to think she's definitely pregnant. If chins have had kits in the past their nipples will be elongated. I went through a building with a rancher who spent a few hours showing me the difference between females who had nursed babies and females who hadn't.

I hope, if she is pregnant, that she has an uneventful pregnancy, but like Kathy said...you DID buy two females that you knew were in with a male so pregnancy in either wouldn't be out of the blue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad anyways for you, I am hoping that she has a very smooth delivery, and maybe with only 100 grams she might have just one kit, maybe two, but for sure one then, and hopefully she has a baby girl to make her company. She might also have about month left in her pregnancy, by you saying that you already felt some small kicks, so you should see some babies soon.

Also, this would be the first baby born between Rocky and her, and also Rocky, would be a first time daddy just like Pearl. With Rocky being a light homo tan, Pearl might have a pink or tan white, a light tan or a beige baby, just to let you know in the color possibilieties.

take care

They are doing great!

Jade has recovered from her foot ordeal and is now working on putting some weight on. She has become a real snuggle bug. I would even be inclined to say that this has turned her into a lap pet. HE HE!

Pearl is holding her own. She looks like a balloon that is about to pop. Poor thing. I really feel for her. She has gained a total of 176g. I am sure she will deliver any day...although I have been saying that for almost two weeks now. LOL! So I guess it is a waiting game.

Thanks for asking. :)

Hey Jennifer, I have been thinking about these girls lately, how are they doing?

Last edited:
Here are some pics of Pearl that I took today. They don't show how roly polie she is as she was hiding behind the metal pan. I already did her weighing today and didn't want to bother her again. I will try to get a few more in the next day or so (if she hasn't delivered yet).

"Do you come bearing treats?"
100_5626.jpg

"Please let me out...I promise I'll be good"
100_5630.jpg

"I might be big...but I am still beautiful"
100_5634.jpg

Back