"Pearl" grey chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Dreamlite saying the chin is probably a hetero beige v/c. The parents and grandparents determine the chin's size, not the color. Also, size at a young age does not mean the chin will get any larger. Some mature a lot faster and will reach their full size by 8 months, some take 2-3 years.

I have pictures here of a comparison between Beige, Begie v/c, BeigeViolet and Violet. I have never heard of them called pearl, though that term is sometimes used for homo beige. :))

I agree with Dreamlite saying the chin is probably a hetero beige v/c. The parents and grandparents determine the chin's size, not the color. Also, size at a young age does not mean the chin will get any larger. Some mature a lot faster and will reach their full size by 8 months, some take 2-3 years.

I have pictures here of a comparison between Beige, Begie v/c, BeigeViolet and Violet. I have never heard of them called pearl, though that term is sometimes used for homo beige. :))

Hey, thanks for that link, it was really helpful :) After looking at the pictures on that link, and after actually seeing him in person, he definitely looks like the Beige Violet, not the Beige v/c. Maybe when this new chin becomes more comfortable with me, I will try to snap some pictures of him, because I think the pictures that I got from the original owner don't show his true color very well.
Also, this might be a dumb question, but when is the right time after dusting to truly determine color? I know that right after their dust bath, they look a bit lighter than they truly are, so how long do you wait until after their dust bath to determine their color?

My input, he's a cutie and if you're enjoying him then you made the right call in getting him.

It's hard to tell anything from pictures alone but he looks to have the proper size for age. While size and weight is rarely the same thing, get a scale and weigh your guys. It'll help to know what's going on a lot of the time and it's a fun fact to know.

As far as quality goes, he's probably NOT show quality...but that can NOT be judge by photos. Ever. Period. And as far as color goes...he appears beige violet to me but I do not breed the violet aspect. I've bred beige and he doesn't look like just a beige to me. V/c may be the right assumption. Ask the breeder what his parents are, won't hurt!

ETA- IMHO calling a beige violet cross Pearl is ridiculous. It's a beige violet. Has been for many many years. I think half is a marketing ploy to try and sell them as rare and unique...the other half is sheer ignorance. Regardless, I think the term used here in the us is asinine and mostly because it's used interchangeably for several different colors. Here's the ad I was referring to where apparently it's used to describe a beige v/c http://www.hoobly.com/50u4xuvkt1/chinchillas-mama-daddy-and-daughter-with-condo-cage.htm

AND...most importantly...enjoy your new pet!

Last edited:
CONGRATS on your new baby!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks so much! This morning he met me at the cage door and was dying to get out! So cute! :)

My input, he's a cutie and if you're enjoying him then you made the right call in getting him.

It's hard to tell anything from pictures alone but he looks to have the proper size for age. While size and weight is rarely the same thing, get a scale and weigh your guys. It'll help to know what's going on a lot of the time and it's a fun fact to know.

As far as quality goes, he's probably NOT show quality...but that can NOT be judge by photos. Ever. Period. And as far as color goes...he appears beige violet to me but I do not breed the violet aspect. I've bred beige and he doesn't look like just a beige to me. V/c may be the right assumption. Ask the breeder what his parents are, won't hurt!

AND...most importantly...enjoy your new pet!

Thanks! I am enjoying him a lot, and trying to make him as comfortable as possible! I wish I knew someone who knows chin colors well, and could look at him in person. But I guess it doesn't really matter, I just like knowing what my chin's colors are. The woman I got him from was not the breeder, sadly. The person that she bought it from was a breeder in my area, but she didn't tell me the name of the breeder. I guess I could ask her. Anyways, thanks again! I am having so much fun with all of this! :)

Whatever color he is, is is incredibly adorable and I think you did the right thing in bringing him home! Have fun with him!

Congrats on the new guy! He's super cute!!! (And don't stress if they don't get along... I stressed a lot at first when my brothers started fighting but now I have 2 boys who both live happily in 2 separate cages!). :)

Congrats on the new guy! He's super cute!!! (And don't stress if they don't get along... I stressed a lot at first when my brothers started fighting but now I have 2 boys who both live happily in 2 separate cages!). :)

Thanks! I hope they can learn to like eachother :) We'll see how that goes I guess! I am so impatient, I wish I could put them together now! But I know they need time.
Are there any signs that I should be looking for to know whether they are ready to meet or not?

Different lights, different casts. That's why at shows they used special lights. He's most likely not a beige violet. Very very few breeders even touch that color.

Oh, really? Why is that? (just curious)
Beige adds a reddish cast to the violet most of the time. Carole Kessler only used beige in her herd to breed out mutations so they are more common on the east coast than the west.

Beige violet cross in the UK is generally called a pearl - and in Europe, I believe - since the violet should give a pearlescent sheen to the fur.

Back