"Pearl" grey chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It should just be called a Pearl not Pearl Grey. $140 isn't a bad price but the chin in the ad looks like it is just pet quality. If you are fine with that and think it is a cute chin then I'd say go for it.

I also talked to her. I dont think it is a fair price, but she told me she told me she would lower her price. wouldnt he just be a beige violet carrier?

Pearl can mean a beige violet or a homo beige depending who you talk to. The chin in the picture is a hetro beige. 140 is high for that color in my area but that varries by location. Pearl isn't a common term used in the US, its more commonly used in europe (like blond is a beige over there).

It could very well be a Pearl. Sometimes it is hard to tell from pics. Here is a link to a page that has a photo of a Pearl so that you can compare. Scroll down towards the bottom of the page... http://www.chechinchillas.com/colors.html

Eventually I want to breed a Pearl line. Now granted when I do I plan to use some really nice animals but I would price them starting at $175....

Last edited:
This is a hard choice for me, haha. Just curious, why do you think he is just classified as a "pet" quality chin? I just don't know enough about what traits/qualities they have that determines whether they are pet quality, show quality, etc.

I got the impression from the photo that he looked small and appeared pinched at the neck. He didn't have the eye appeal of other chins I have seen even in photos. It is really hard to tell from a photo though. I may be mistaken but what I do is look at as many different breeders websites as I can. I look at what chins win and it at least gives you an idea for comparison. Then if you REALLY want to see some nice chins go to a show...

Honestly though if you just want a pet then it doesn't matter....Me I am a new breeder so I look at things from a different perspective... Like I said before if YOU think he is cute then go for it!!!

Last edited:
Oh, Okay. Thanks for telling me. :) Like I said, I just don't know enough about them to be able to determine that.

Yes, you're right, he is just a pet for me, so it doesn't really matter. I think he is cute, but I was really hoping to find a white mosaic! I am having such a hard time finding chins in UT. I am really just nervous about him getting along with my only chin, Buddha. I already posted another thread about that though, so I probably shouldn't bring that up here :p

Last edited:
Do you think he is the most adorable thing ever???? Can you just not wait to be able to scritch that little head??? If the answer to both of these questions is yes then I'd say you might have just found yourself a new friend...! :) Best of luck to you!!!!

haha thanks, sorry for my indecision. I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice.
PS. I'm REALLY really sorry if all my posting is bothering anyone. I am just a first time chin owner, and I love learning and talking about all of this! Thank you for tolerating me :)

No worries. I can talk "chin" all day. What I tell people though is to meet a chin before deciding. Yes physical attraction is step number 1 but then you have to have the chemistry too. They all have different personalities. They also have a loooong lifespan so you want to make sure you click....

Yeah, I think I need to go see this chin before I make any decisions, and then go from there. Thanks so much for your help. I literally have butterflies, that's how nervous/anxious I am about this!

You have to get chins that speak to you. If he isn't cute to you then don't get him just cause he's what you found. If he's not the one for you then hold out. Quality doesn't mean anything when it comes to a pet. Yes he looks small and wedgy in the picture but that doesn't mean he won't make a great pet.

I got the new chin! He is surprisingly big compared to my standard, Buddha. Buddha is 6 months old, and this new chin is supposedly 5 months old. I am not sure if maybe he is older than they said he was, or if Buddha is just a small chin. I know that Buddha was a twin when he was born. I don't know about this new guy. When they are able to play together, I will post a picture of the 2 of them side by side, so you can see the difference. Maybe it's just because Buddha is a standard, and this new chin is a Beige/Violet. Do the color of chins ever determine their size?

If his parents are a beige and a violet he is a beige v/c. And no that does not determine size. Genetics and food determine how big a chin gets. Your other chin may have smaller parents.

Back