Passing plastic/synthetic materials?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CerLynn

At playtime last night, Kenai managed to pull up a piece of that plastic-ish floss-like thread in carpeting and ate it - it was probably about 2" long. It's about 24 hours later and droppings/appetite/activity are 100% normal, but my concern is that it could just be sitting in his stomach or intestines and could ball up and cause a blockage at some point. Is this a cause for concern, or will it likely pass? Normally I wouldn't hesitate on a trip to the vet, but I'm at my parents' for the holidays for the next 2 weeks, and only trust our vet back down in MA (I'm up in rural NH, about 3 hours away). I was considering looking through all his poo to see if it's passed yet (only a day's worth on paper towels under the grating), but if it's not necessary, it's something I certainly wouldn't mind skipping. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

If it's been 24 hours with no problems, you probably won't see any problems with Kenai. I've had a couple of very similar occurrences where chins have managed to get a hold of something I do not want them to have. What I generally do is watch their droppings and make sure they are eating. The chins have always managed to not get a blockage when they have, oh, gotten a piece of cellophane or a little bit of something like your guy did.

For now, I wouldn't worry about the vet because whatever the chin ate has probably already passed through.

It's could be nylon and he probably chewed it up, as he would've choked had he swallowed it intact!
If everything seems normal, don't worry about it, as it should pass, but if anything changes, head for the vet!
X-rays wouldn't show nylon or ANY fiber, so all you can do is wait!

Latest posts

Back