Paralyzed Kit

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMSChins

Hendryx Chinchillas
Curious to know if any breeders out there have ever had a kit born with below the waist paralysis. If so, what was the outcome.

I helped to deliver a kit breech 3 days ago. She was very weak but I managed to revive her. Other than being weak she appeared fine. Several hours later she seemed even weaker and barely moving. Noticed at that time she appeared to be paralyzed from waist down.

Left her with mom and that evening she was alert and attempting to nurse when mom was right by her but made no attempt to follow mom. Does not pull or drag herself around cage.

Decided to give her some time to see if caused by swelling. Each day she seems to get stronger but still no movement in back legs. No response to painful stimuli. Unable to determine if she is eliminating on own or mom is doing all the work for her but she is clean.

Here we are at day three and I just can't see a positive outcome for this kit. Once weaned not sure how she will do when mom can't keep her clean.

Any advice/stories?

I had one kit that had no control of its hind legs. It lived to about a month old and then died. The post showed a birth deformity so there wasn't anything that could have been done. Does the kit seem to be getting around at all at this point?

Annie was a bit different Rhonda. She improved by the hour and I could tell it was more from being crowded in utero.

I think this one was injured during birth process.

Other than pushing herself up with front paws she does not appear to push or pull herself around the cage or try to follow mom. She just lays there looking around. Her sister and mom stay right with her. Eventually if she does not move she will develop pressure ulcers.

Feet are warm and pink. Just not responsive.

The biggest issue would be whether she can urinate and defecate normally. If she can, great - you can probably figure out a way to house her.

If she cannot completely express her bladder then this will predispose her to urinary tract infections, stones, etc. Much more difficult to manage.

I'd wait a week or so to see if she improves (as long as she is perky) and see if it's damage that will heal, i.e. bilateral peripheral nerve damage or contussive injury to the spine.

Does she appear painful along her spine? Can she move her tail?

She doesn't appear to be in any pain Alicyn and no reaction when I pinch toes or tail. Tip of tail was chewed off by mom while attempting to litter.

The issues you mentioned are my concerns as well and since mom seems to be caring for her it is hard to tell whether she is eliminating at all on own but apparently she can be stimulated.

I will continue to monitor and if she deteriorates I will have her pts. Thanks.

She could make it! Kits are very resilient compared to adults. As long as the condition doesn't worsen, you'll have to see how she does.

I hate to say this. In my experience kits like this usually don't make it to adulthood. Some definitely can, it depends on the injury and if the kit can get enough nourishment, of course. Most of the time I end up finding the kit has passed away after a few weeks, or maybe even at a few months of age. It doesn't hurt to try to see if you can give her a good life. Some of my favorite chins have had issues, they don't seem any less happy than the normal chins.

You'll have to keep us updated on her progress. I hope she does well for you (or by some miracle regains use of her back legs!)

I have had several here that way. I think they get pulled on to hard in the birthing process and have spinal damage. Some have lived for several hours and some have lived for several weeks, but I have never had one make it to weaning.

Thanks everyone for your input. When I came home from work today there was no improvement. It wasn't just a matter of not being able to move her legs. She was completely paralyzed from waist down. Couldn't move her hips and muscle wasting already setting in. No response to painful stimuli at all. I made the very hard decision to put her down. A bad breeding week all the way around.

Thanks everyone, it was a very hard decision because she was so mentally with it! Unfortunately going to the bathroom was going to be an issue even if nothing else developed. This is why breeding should not be taken lightly.

So sorry Juanita, my thoughts were with you and the kit. Unfortunetly it's not all cute kits like some think. See you soon!

Back