PANR vs. Nutrena

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lydz

So I am getting ready to switch from Mazuri and I have heard a lot of talk about PANR and then some about Nutrena. I found a place near me that has both but I was wondering which one is better or if it is just preference.

Do you happen to know the analysis for Nutreena? I couldn't find it on the site and see that there is a dealer a lot closer to me than where I get my current feed. It is probably personal preference as is most feeds. Because other things such as water, genetics, and environment come into play it is hard to distinguish one feed better than another. What may work for one person may not be the best for another.

Nutrena offers both 16% and 18% rabbit pellets. No they do not post the analysis of their products online. Most of us in Wisconsin use the 16%. You also can check the bags at the place that sells Nutrena. The bags have the tag with all percents of the ingredients along with the Julian date, which is the mill date. I buy Nutrena 16% Rabbit Pellets and they have a program if you buy 10 bags than the 11th bag is free, so ask the dealer if they offer this program. One of the most knowledgeable people on chinchillas is who told us to switch over to 16% Nutrena Rabbit Pellets.

I have a tag for Nutrena in front of me. I will type it up and post it to the nutritional thread in a little bit.

I use Nutrena. I have never tried PANR, but I did check into it and it was quite expensive out here. $20.00 for a 50 pound bag, and I just can't afford that. My Nutrena did just recently go up, but it's still under $14.00 a bag and my chins are doing really, really well on it, especially after the PenPals fiasco.

I switched from Mazuri to Nutrena Rabbit feed 16% and I'm very happy. With Mazuri my chins would have occassional soft poos, since the Nutrena I haven't noticed this problem. The Mazuri seemed "dustier" than the Nutrena. Here I can get a 25 lb bag of Nutrena for about 8 dollars, it was twice that amount with the Mazuri.

Does anyone know or notice a difference in the hardness of the pellets? That is really what I like about Oxbow over my manna pro but it's just too expensive. Since the manna is the only rabbit feed I've used I was just wondering if there is any noticeable difference in how hard/crumbly the pellets are between nutrena, panr, manna pro.

I started using PANR last year and I havent had any problems with it. Gotta love that I can get it for $15 for 50 lbs!

I was just wondering if there is any noticeable difference in how hard/crumbly the pellets are between nutrena, panr, manna pro.

There's actually seasonal differences in all of them. It depends on what the mill gets in and what they use as a binder. I've had PANR show up as dang near powder and hard as a rock with elk pellets in it.

I recommend that people get whatever cycles the fastest, that way you ensure you have the freshest feed. If it looses it's quality, try the other brand. Not all mills mill the same. I've had some beautiful PANR in the south so far, vs. WA's mill was terrible.

Nutritionally they're all good feeds.

I switched from Oxbow (my chin REFUSED to eat this) to Nutrena Rabbit Pellets and I had great sucess. He likes the food and it did not upset his GI tract, so it was a win-win!

Just like Rach (though opposite) I know of a few people who switched to Nutrena, and a few chins wouldn't eat it and had to switch back to PANR.

Does Nutrena smell like rabbit food? My manna pro smells like rabbit food whereas my oxbow did not.

Back