Pancake after dental appt-not eating or sleeping

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it would be good to get the more videos the better, different owners have different techniques-Me, I don't ever burrito so you can see how I do a spazz without a burrito. I will be home in a few hours and will make one for you.

It took about 3 days for Chilli to calm down just for meds. I finally mixed his meds in some weak chamomile tea and he slurped it down. In the beginning he wouldn't take the CC either, Dave cradled him like a baby, and we would be able to get 10 ml in him that way. Now, he runs up to the cage at meal time and waits for his syringe.
Question for everyone else- How do you feed 45-60 ml at a time? do you have a super size syringe, or do you fill 2? The ones my vet gives are 35 ml, so I use two for each feeding.

I feed 30ml at a feeding and fill two 10ml syringes up to the top which measures 15ml. I find the 10ml syringes are are easy on my hands and easy to control flow. I feed 2-3 times a day, depending on the weight of the chin, depending on if I am feeding LL or CC and depending of the weight stability of the chin, is how I personally determine how much I feed.

Last edited:
:)

Pancake just took 3.5 teaspoons of watered down CC and lifeline from a spoon without a fight! He also drank some water out of his water bottle, not a whole lot but stayed there for at least 1min while drinking :)

I will attempt again in a few.....

It took about 3 days for Chilli to calm down just for meds. I finally mixed his meds in some weak chamomile tea and he slurped it down. In the beginning he wouldn't take the CC either, Dave cradled him like a baby, and we would be able to get 10 ml in him that way. Now, he runs up to the cage at meal time and waits for his syringe.
Question for everyone else- How do you feed 45-60 ml at a time? do you have a super size syringe, or do you fill 2? The ones my vet gives are 35 ml, so I use two for each feeding.

I think Dawn was referring to daily, not in one feeding.

I use a 60ml syringe that way I know the chin is getting at least that much in a day. Usually they end up eating more. I fill it completely in the morning and then refill near the end of the day if needed.

i use 10cc syringes and fill them. when i first was handfeeding richie i would do 3 or 4 at each feeding, so 30 - 40 cc's, that is how i got so much into him.
i tried the 60 cc syringe but personally it was too big for me to manage and i ended up making more of a mess.
now i just supplement as he does eat some pellets. he takes 20 - 40 cc's a night.
also in the beginning i would have to burrito him all different ways, now he just sits on my lap.
for the gas drops, i use mylicon or the store brand of infant drops. you can even mix it in the syringe you are using for the meds. 1 cc is good to start.

I've attempted a few more times to feed Pancake with no success spoon or syringe. I've tried cradling him, doing the burrito etc, and it's everywhere again!

If nothing really gets in I guess it's about 24.5mL of CC and lifeline that I fed him today with current weight at 698g. I know it's not 45mL, but I'm hopeful with the flood of poo I see :)

I will update tomorrow when I can. Thanks for the input again!

I think Dawn was referring to daily, not in one feeding.

I use a 60ml syringe that way I know the chin is getting at least that much in a day. Usually they end up eating more. I fill it completely in the morning and then refill near the end of the day if needed.

Chilli is eating about 40-45 in the morning and in the evening and another 20 late night, so I split them into two 35 ml syringes for easier handling. I know on my thread about how much I was feeding the pill she mentioned that for a malo chin she has fed around 140 ml in a day. I will look for a 60 ml one tomorrow at Petsmart.

Not good

FYI Pancake started experiencing heavy breathing last night...I tried giving him simethicone (.5mL) and he seemed to be expelling something and shaking out his body. Anyhow, I'm now worried if I might have introduced another problem while trying to feed him (ie feed or liquid going into lungs) and if he's going downhill fast. I only managed to get 5mL in him this morning...1mL water, all his metacam and antibiotic.

He's still not acting like Pancake, still not eating his pellets or hay and not drinking from his waterbottle. He's not really running around and staying in one place most of the time. On the plus side, he's 709g and pooing (hard, dark, small)

I called the vet and he is going to call me back, I think at this point I'm going to have him admitted in case if things go too downhill fast that I can't do anything...nor do I want to take him to an emerg vet over the weekend who won't know much about chins.

Forgot to add, he's shifting while trying to sleep/rest and he's not grooming himself, nor is he rolling around in sand.... :(

What antibiotic is RXed? He really needs a vet visit ASAP because URI's are often fatal in themselves and with his other issues his immune system is not going to be able to beat it, he needs at least baytril now.

it sounds kinda like he may need antibiotics, as Dawn said... But make sure you keep up the CC because Baytril made my chinny get sicker when he lost his appetite after a small URI. It's a common side effect. I hope everything goes well at the vet and I am sending healing thoughts to you and Pancake!

Pancake was getting antibiotics daily after the operation. Anyhow that doesn't matter now. I took him to the vet and he just died. Thanks for everyone's help.

Latest posts

Back