Pairing my chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you I think that was a fair post. Yeah I think think they may only be a year old maybe I will wait to see if anything happens. Thanks for the help.

Really sorry guys about this I think I will wait for them to get older and wait another 6 months or so. I think that is a good idea. Do they die when the genetic problems hits?

Originally Posted by Hannahdear
My god you guys are being really stupid why even try, why????? you should write some freakin sheet on your hates of breeding so no one gets mistreated like this I have been on many forums. ... once you see a slight fight even if it could be the part where they mate then you take them out. ... Kick me off please I can't even talk and I know this forum I won't be able to talk on this forum after this because you administrators talk about this and make it impossible for someone.

Woah....right there! You should know that we don't tolerate this type of discussion on this forum if you know ANYTHING about it at all. So, if I were you, I'd knock it off right now. If you truly need help, ask and take the answers you get. Otherwise, let me know and I'll be happy to delete your account.

I understand that I was being stubborn but I will not aggree to the idea that they die always when you breed. You guys breed and it doesn't happen to you all the time or you wouldn't have any babies. It sound like you were saying it happens all the time.

You know I was apologizing and you just add that... come on let me end the ranting not start another up...

I feel very sorry for these chins. I wish more people could be content with just enjoying them as the wonderful pets they are and not feel the need to make cute furry babies that could harbor deadly and painful diseases.

I understand that I was being stubborn but I will not aggree to the idea that they die always when you breed. You guys breed and it doesn't happen to you all the time or you wouldn't have any babies. It sound like you were saying it happens all the time.

Now that I myself have had a breather.
Hannah, no, we are not trying to say females always die. What we are trying to say is that complications will eventually come up (90% of the time) because I haven't seen one breeder who hasn't had a female attack mate, male attack mate, female attack kits, kits die, mom die, etc. Even the best of breeders who have had years and years of experience hasn't figured out a way to prevent these things because they can't be prevented.
The purpose of breeding chinchillas is to better the species, and even though JAGS the almighty started out originally with a pet store chin, as Peggy said, they weren't around nearly as much then as they are today and JAGS got lucky. You really can't just grab a pet store chin and think it'll be okay and that is what we were trying to express.
Obviously though, if so many negative opinions were expressed, then most people including myself feel that you are not ready and it's not competition at all as some may think, it's the welfare of the chins that is at mind.
And no, none of this was said to be rude, I'm very calm at the moment. But when someone is trying to explain the dangers of breeding and the costs, it gets a little frustrating when someone won't listen. I honestly do hope you stay, and I hope you decide to not breed and learn as I have.

Really sorry guys about this I think I will wait for them to get older and wait another 6 months or so. I think that is a good idea. Do they die when the genetic problems hits?

They can, it is extremely painful, and if it is bad they should be euthanized. It is also very expensive to treat (no cure, just trying to better their life), and has to be done about once a month. That is why people don't approve of pairing pet store chins. It's not that it is against their business, it is that you have no history of what problems they may carry.

If you are dead set on breeding, then no one can stop you. However, I would advise to keep your pets as pets, and buy good quality for breeding. I have a girl that I would die if something happened to her. Ecspecially if it was something that I made happen to her by putting my wants before her life. She is my pet, but I also have others I purchased with the intention of breeding.

Last edited:
I will get all the info to you and I will go to the vet to find out if they do have. I think that is the really problem here. If I want to breed and my chinchillas are fine than that is good right? I won't be bring in geneticly bad chinchillas. If they aren't then I won't.

I really love my chinchillas and I would hate to see something happen but some people feel the need to try something. You never know I can create a geneticly strong chinchilla if they aren't because I am 90% sure they aren't.

My first step before buying a chin was printing out a list of every single exotic vet in NC, putting them in order from closest to furthest, and mapquesting the ones that were up to an hour away (Ended up with like...12) that took emergencies no matter time of day or night. Maybe you should try working on something like that just to get you started some where.

I actually have a good vet but I was just saying that if there wasn't pain involved than it would be a good thing but since there is No!!!!!! bad, bad thing evil thing.

I actually have a good vet but I was just saying that if there wasn't pain involved than it would be a good thing but since there is No!!!!!! bad, bad thing evil thing.

It'd be a good idea to make sure he/she's an exotic vet that specializes in chinchillas enough to do surgery, and also make sure they do emergencies just in case.

This is a pelt nuetral forum, so you can not bash ranchers. A lot of ranchers humanely euthanize the ones with genetic issues and then sell the pelts. There are those that breed for pelts. I had to euthanize my horse, and I kept his tail for myself. That doesn't make me a bad person that used his tail.

My point is, if you are going to breed you might as well breed to better the species. Not just have 2 chinchillas that don't have mallo, but to improve what is here. To do that like Tiffany said with the amount of chins there are now, you can't just put 2 chins together and have good quality.

By the way, most pet stores have to buy from people that are liscensed. I don't know the exact details, cause I've never looked into it, but I think you have to produce at least 100 kits a year.

BTW-- I love doing chin rescue, but it is irresponsible people like you that contribute to the over population of unwanted pets-- unqualified people taking in your baby chins will think they are cute at first but when they are too much work they list them on CL!! There is nothing wrong with breeding for the better animal, but just to breed b/c it is fun, well I wonder how many of your baby chins will end up being put down or worse.

I will get all the info to you and I will go to the vet to find out if they do have. I think that is the really problem here. If I want to breed and my chinchillas are fine than that is good right? I won't be bring in geneticly bad chinchillas. If they aren't then I won't.

The issue IMO is that there are many things you need to take into consideration.

I am not a breeder, but have delbt with chinchillas for a few years now and have delbt with babies through a small rescue I run.

Chinchilla quality is judged though many things, not just how healthy they are. What body type do both chins have? Are they blocky and a hefty weight??? Are their coats dense??? Do you know all the different points of judgement for their body and coat (this would be shown to you if you met with a breeder, judge etc.). It isn't just that they have yellow teeth and clean eyes and lungs-you should know their history. that is why you have been told that pet store breeding is a no-no.

Did you check (or do you know how) to see if your girl is set up properly with a large enough pelvis to pass the kit?

If your girl gets pregnant and cannot pass the kit, can you bear to literally rip the kit in bits and pieces to TRY to save the mothers life and then pay the $100s of dollars, not to mention the amount of after care, to ensure the mother lives?

I had to deal with a mother and two kit rescue a few months ago. One kit had to be hand fed every two hours round the clock. And it doesn't stop there. Belly rubs to help with digestion etc., making sure that they are set up correctly (in a small cage with a heating pad on low under half of the cage). I was litterally about to drop after all was said and done. The kit died anyways-no matter how much time I put in and how much sleep I lost. The other kit cost be just over $400 and the mother cost me just under that in vet bills.

Just think about it is all we are saying

My gosh did you read what I just wrote? Sorry for the terseness but I just said I wasn't going to or I thought I did well I am not at least I don't want to right now maybe when I have geneticly sound chinchillas.

My gosh did you read what I just wrote? Sorry for the terseness but I just said I wasn't going to or I thought I did well I am not at least I don't want to right now maybe when I have geneticly sound chinchillas.

Maybe I'm missing something but you've said several times in this thread that you've paired up the chins already (it's in your first post, for example). You also said that you had waited 111 days (post here) - so how long have you had these chins paired??

Your story keeps on changing - it's difficult to know what to believe and/or respond to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back