Pair Breeding Chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jags

After a call today I was just wondering if there are many breeders that only pair breed? I was approached today by someone wanting me to purchase or if not if I knew of someone else who would be interested in their herd of 150 breeders, 75 females and 75 males. Seeing as I breed in runs I just do not know what I could do with all the extra males.

I know a couple people who pair breed and colony breed. Its definitely not very common though that I can think of.

I only have a few 'pairs' right now because I'm short on females, but normally that is not my preferred set up. I wouldn't know what to do with so many males either.

I've always done breeding in pairs, but then again I only have a 5 pairings currently. So I guess its not like I have a whole bunch of extras.

I do pairs, trios, or quads. I've never bred run style and I never will. I don't, however, want another 150 chins.

I have always bred in pairs or trios, but now its strictly pairs...
I have often considered switching to runs but honestly do
enjoy the pair set-up best of all...I have also found it is much
easier to find a really awesome male so I like to take
advantage of that since so many breeders like to hoard there
awesome females! : )

I primarily breed in runs. Although in several runs my females are not collared. Here and there I have pairs if I don't want to dedicate an entire run to someone or a specific color (ex my white violet male is paired, I have no desire for a full run to produce white violets)

I know two breeders with 100-200 chins that pair breed and are not on this forum.

That's a lot of males to deal with.

I've always pair bred too but I don't think you need an equal amount of males and females. When a female is on break from breeding or doesn't want the male in with her while she tends to her babies, I have a male to move in with another female. It makes more sense to have more females than males when pair breeding.

I usually run breed, as like Megs I will often leave females uncollared though. Really depends on the animals. I was actually unaware that so many even on here pair/colony bred. I assumed anyone with over 40 animals was run breeding.

Agreed, sell off the surplus males. Problem being you're going to take a beating for price possibly. If their asking price will offset the loss on the males then it's worth it if you have the money to spend. For example, if they were asking 7,000 for that herd and they were reasonable quality and whatnot...it'd be worth it even if sold each male for $30.

I think sometimes maybe certain chins work better in either runs or pairs. For example I have a male who was used in a run with no success and I have 2 females who were in a pair breeding situation with no success. So I have since reversed it. I am pretty sure the 1 female is currently pregnant. Other than the 1 girl the other 2 have only been set up their new way maybe 1-2 months so my theory hasn't had a chance to be fully proven yet but I am hopeful. Only time will tell...

I breed in pairs mostly with a few colonies. I really like having the large open cages for easy viewing. I don't like the extra shavings expense and extra cleaning!

I can see people with a small amount of animals and those wanting larger cages but with 75 females in runs I would only need about 15 males. That leaves 60 extra males to feed and clean up after which to me seems like it would be a lot of extra expense. It also would take a lot more room to house them all.

One advantage would be that you would have a nice sized selection of males to pick those 15 from....if the price is right I'd do it.

Back