Packrats are not chinchillas...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZChins

Pro Cage Cleaner Champion
Sahuarita, Arizona (a half hour south of Tucson)
Several times a year I get a phone call that is about the same. Someone has found a "baby chinchilla" in their yard, house or that has been attacked by cats, they need my help in caring for it and no one else can help.

Either they take pictures or bring it to me or I go to see it. And, when I get there the animal is a packrat...usually a packrat that is not in the best of health and possibly close to death.

I wanted to post a picture of a packrat on here in hopes that maybe people will see it here and be able to understand that they are dealing with a wild animal and not a chin!

There have been occasions where chins have been found out wandering around and I want to make sure that if someone finds a chin here in AZ that they have some place to take it...but if it is a packrat it should be released back into the desert because that's where it belongs. (And, most people call the exterminator for them....)

Attachments

• packrat.jpg
    packrat.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 109
I thought a packrat was someone who kept lots of things in their house that they didn't need....

I learn new things everyday. I guess it does look a *little* like a chinchilla.

I have no idea how someone could let their chin free or have it escape into the wild :S

There was an article in my chin society's newsletter a few months ago about somebody dumping a chn in the vegetable section of a supermarket, poor thing.

Packrat is CUTE

They're probably about the size of a three to four month old chin, but a little longer and a bit shorter. They're quite the nuisance out here since they will pull insulation out of house and cars and destroy electrical wiring...and then leave huge collections of things that they have found in the strangest places.

Out here they are particularly fond of digging through the compost pile where I put the chinnie waste. They pull out old pieces of toys and wood and line their nests with them. They can cause a lot of damage in a very short time, too. We have cats that keep their population in check here.

Haha, was that little guy hanging out in your backyard, Susan?? Too funny. In this day and age its amazing that people can't simply google image "chinchilla" and see what one actually looks like.

Hmmm Susan... it sounds like it behaves awfully like a chin. Chins have been known to make huge piles of their toys and destroy anything their teeth can reach. I see the issue with tons of packrats running loose around houses and businesses and such though.

Back