oxbow to mazuri

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bostongirl'sChin75

Stephanie: Zoo Poo Gal!
Zoe, my newest chin, was on a really bad food when I got her so I cold switched her to Oxbow Chin Deluxe, which she seemed to love. But in the last few days she has started to dig through her food, eat one or two pellets and dump it out all over her cage. And last night she threw her bowl on the floor after dumping it. It was almost like she was really disappointed in the food or mad at me for giving it to her. :impatient:

So, this morning, since it was feeding time anyway, I gave her some Mazuri pellets. ( my other chin Herby eats this ) After I gave her a tablespoon of them, she automatically buried her head in the dish and started eating and did not come up for air until they were gone.

Is it possible for chins to just not like a food after eating it for a few weeks and then like another food? or is this just typical chin behavior? And any ideas on what I can do with the bag of Oxbow ( its from petsmart ) I just bought 2 weeks ago? It has been opened but only has one cup missing from it and it has been stored in a ziploc bag.

I don't see why chins wouldn't be like any other animal (or human) and have food preferences. She may like one over the other, and I would consider that normal. It could also be that the Oxbow was milled differently. We'd like to think it's the same every single time we get our feed, but it isn't. Why not try a mix of the two? See if she consistently goes for the Mazuri, or if it's just a new flavor that's attracting her. If she stays with the Mazuri every time, and it works for you, then stick with it.

I have been having issues with my newest chin eating. I tried every food, counting the one from the breeder, and he wanted none of it. Lo and behold, I had a bag of Mazuri on hand (I sell it on my website, but feed my chins my chins Purina) so I tried it. While he didn't bury his head in it, he did actually start eating after a month long battle.

So I agree with Peggy, test it out to see if she consistently goes for the Mazuri. If so, stick with it. A good quality pellet is all that really matters. While Mazuri isn't the highest on my list, it's still a good quality pellet.

Thanks Tunes and Essentia! :) I think I will try mixing it and see which one she goes for and go from there. I am secretly hoping she wants to stick with the Mazuri as it will be easier to buy a bag of that instead of 2 different foods. ;)

Last edited:
Marble used to be on Mazuri which he ate fine but he was eating through that little 2.5lb. bag in less than a month all by himself so I switched to the 5lb. Oxbow bag which he likes too. However his preference is more in the hay. He seems to like the Oxbow botanical mix over all the other kinds out there. If I give him just regular timothy hay he won't eat it.

Zoe and Herby likes the Oxbow hay better than any other hay I have tried. Herby especially loves the Oxbow orchard hay, whereas Zoe likes the Timothy hay better. They both like the hay cubes too, but as I can only find those in the small bags from Petsmart, I feed those only occasionally.

Latest posts

Back