Oxbow or Mazuri?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danakscully64

Chinchilla Mommy
I've been feeding my chinchillas Mazuri for years. A few years back, I started buying the bigger bags and keeping them in an airtight container. I was at a pet store yesterday and noticed they carried Oxbow Chinchilla. Does anyone have experience with both or know how to compare the two nutritionally?

Here are sites with nutritional info: Oxbow and Mazuri. I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

Also, should I be buying the smaller bags for freshness, or are the bigger bags fine if I'm using the air tight containers? I've been very happy with Oxbow, I switched my rabbit's food to Oxbow and my guy went from refusing to eat hay to eating it daily (the old food must not have been very healthy). The Oxbow Orchard grass has been a huge hit with the chinchillas and rabbit. I believe Oxbow Chinchilla is more expensive than Mazuri, but if it's worth the price difference, I don't mind buying it.

Thanks!

I have been told they are equally nutricious. I just switched from Mazuri to Oxbow because the only local store that carried it discontinued it. It took a while for Trixie to take to the Oxbow, but I did wean her into it and now she really seems to like it. I keep mine in an air tight container in the refrigerator. It seems to maintain its freshness longer, and she seems to like it when I give her some cold food.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would say go with whichever of the two is easier for you to obtain.

my boys are on Oxbow, and i plan to keep them on it. Rhino has been doing really well on it since he came home in February, and Guss is eating it with gusto since being cold switched off treat food when i brought him home a couple days ago.

hmmm I had a question about that as well. I am currently using Mazuri and its been harder to obtain this brand in my area. I believe I've seen Oxbow. But I am wondering IF i should be staying away from particular brands? Our large stores in MA are mainly Petco and Petsmart around here! Any suggestions would be great!

Have you considered order pellets from some one on the forum. Quite few people on here sell pellets and you will find that it is cheaper from them (shipping included) than buying at the pet store.

I used Oxbow for years until they reformulated months ago. I started having issues with the chins not eating it so I switched to Mazuri.
Either of these is a good choice.

I used Mazuri late in 2008, but switched to Oxbow in early 2009 when my boys started having issues with Mazuri. I have been using Oxbow on all of my boys since then and all of them are doing great on this feed.

Thanks for all of the responses :)

Does anyone know if the food keeps long if I store a giant bag in an airtight container?

I'd say to use up that food before it is about five months old, that seems to be right around when the food starts getting stale and probably is not tasting very good. My chins won't eat food that is more than about four months old because they are very spoiled.

no. freezing causes condensation on the pellets when they are taken out of the freezer, and that can lead to mold. better to just store them in a cool and dry location in an airtight container.

Thank You! Going to get a smaller bag soon. I have 3 chinchillas, do you think the 5 or 10 pound bag would be a better idea for a 4 month span?

i'd go with the 10 pound bag. i've noticed before i got my second chin that a 5 pound bag would last a couple months with just Rhino.

I had problems with Mazuri awhile back (they may have changed ingredients by now). My chins would get very soft stool, and some even went downhill in health. There was this problem throughout the midwest (and mainly WI). I switched to Manna Pro Premium Rabbit Feed, which I buy in 50lb bags for under $15. My chins have done GREAT on it. I have heard great results from Oxbow, it is a very reputable brand.

Back