Oxbow Food so expensive ?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickv0195

Nick
So i know that Oxbow chinchilla food is healthy for chinchillas, and now petsmart carries Oxbow products and the bag of food was $15 on SALE that is wicked expensive to me. Is this normal for oxbow food or is this way overpriced ? because there is a store down the street from my dad's that sells it but i'm not sure the price , i won't bother looking if this price is normal .

$15 is CHEAP for Petsmart. Take a look at the for sale section. We have members that sell Oxbow for less than what it will cost you in a petstore.

Another option is you can buy it from a member here on CnH, Sandi. She sells it at a reasonable price. Compare her prices to what you find online, including shipping. Sometimes you can find a good deal online but when you add in shipping.......:hair:

I think Oxbow pellets are ridiculous (as is their hay) no matter who you buy it from. There is no way I would pay $30 plus dollars for a bag of pellets. They aren't made out of gold.

Here's something to think about for the people who get chin food from Petsmart -- Oxbow is in a 5 pound bag, and is usually $15.99. I think all other chinchilla foods are 2.5 pounds and are what, like $9 to $10? So Oxbow is actually one of the cheapest (and best) food you can buy.

But yeah, it is still expensive in bulk compared to rabbit pellets from feed stores.

It's more expensive than chin food too. Tradition, which is one of the best feeds IMO, is $15.00 for 50 pounds. Mazuri is around $18.00 here for 50 pounds. APD and Oxbow are ridiculously high on their chin food. Nutrena (rabbit pellets) I pay $11.99 for 50 pounds.

Yeah, Oxbow is quite expensive, here it is $65.99 plus tax for a 50 pound bag, and Mazuri is $38.99 for 25 pounds at the pet store, so almost $80 for a 50 pound bag, but the Riedstra pellets, which is a chin farm in Ontario, they sell 50 pounds for $20, and they sell it for $30 at Flowertown chinchillas. But I love the Oxbow, it its expensive, but I would say it is worth it.

Wish they sold the tradition here, because once, I got a few pounds from Jags quite a while ago, and my chins loved it when I gave them a couple pinches, and it is cheap too.

I looked up Tradition and it is 17% protein, Mazuri is 20%, Oxbow 16%, Purina Professional 18%, and Purina Show is 16%. Does anyone know the best protein amount for chins?

The lower the better. I was told 15% would be ideal from an experienced rancher. I used Tradition for years with no issues. My problem was availability out here in the boonies. I use a rabbit pellet now that is 16%.

Tradition was formulated and tested by a rancher who has been around forever, and who has the reputation and show standings to back up his research.

I thought I heard that rabbit pellets are no good for chins because it can cause them some health problems, so what brand of rabbit pellets would you suggest? I just don't know if it would be necessary for me to switch to rabbit pellets that are cheaper than the oxbow ones.

There are plenty of threads on rabbit pellets and recommendations on the forum, just do a search on rabbit pellets and you will find lots of info.

The lower the better. I was told 15% would be ideal from an experienced rancher. I used Tradition for years with no issues. My problem was availability out here in the boonies. I use a rabbit pellet now that is 16%.

Tradition was formulated and tested by a rancher who has been around forever, and who has the reputation and show standings to back up his research.

You mean Purina Chow Show? I am ready to slowly switch feed from Oxbow to PR Chow Show. Already bought a 50LB bag of Chow Show. It was like $18. Unbelievably cheap as compared to Oxbow, like $70 a bag.

I am changing feed because I read a thread here that PR Chow Show is good to put some meat on chinnies.
My chinnies are small, so I want them to a bit chubbier. Plus, the price of PR is unbeatable.

I've had a male chin that I purchased a while ago, and from 550 grams, gained weight to 676 grams with the Oxbow in maybe like 3 or 4 months, that's why I am sort of a afraid to switch to a cheaper kind of pellet

ok, thanks, but what I was trying to say, would you prefer to feed rabbit pellets than Oxbow?

The rabbit pellets that are recommended aren't available in Canada as far as I can tell. I contacted a few places and no one can get it in. That goes for Tradition as well.

The price does not reflect quality of pellet, its because rabbits are a more widely known pet there are more competition beween companies to make and sell pellets, this keeps the price down. Oxbow thinks because chins are still a boutique pet they can charge whatever they want and people will pay. There is nothing "special" in a Oxbow pellet that is not in a rabbit pellet-I am talking quality rabbit pellets.

I pay $12.27 for 50lbs of tradition. (Sorry pegs!). I cannot see paying $16 for 5lbs of oxbow + shipping it in. You are paying $3.20 per LB. I'd just switch them to a similar quality feed, and ship it in. Most people sell tradition for $1.00 a lb or less after "mark up" expenses, and shipping isn't all that much. Would work out cheaper in the long run.

I pay $12.27 for 50lbs of tradition. (Sorry pegs!). I cannot see paying $16 for 5lbs of oxbow + shipping it in. You are paying $3.20 per LB. I'd just switch them to a similar quality feed, and ship it in. Most people sell tradition for $1.00 a lb or less after "mark up" expenses, and shipping isn't all that much. Would work out cheaper in the long run.
Sandi sells Oxbow for a reasonable price, and shipping is included in her quoted prices. It also works out to $1.00 per lb plus shipping.

I'd love to be able to find something cheaper that the chins will eat. They loved PANR. But have hated everything else I've tried since Purina stopped making PANR. The only thing I can get them all to eat well is Oxbow.

Latest posts

Back