Overheating?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibbyLou93

Today it hit a staggering 86 degrees, yesterday it was 60 and it was 40 last week so it has been very up and down (so we don't have the AC on yet) in Wisconsin. So I let Sombra run around for an hr I think even less then that.
So I put her back in her cage and after about an hour she laid down and I went to check on her and her ears were very warm. (her ears werent red or VERY pink) So I quickly moved her to the hallway and opened the balcony door (which is baby proofed and has cooled down to about 60).
I filled up her water with cold water and I am freezing a jug of water just in case? Should I keep checking on her all through the night? or leave her?
She is acting completely normal. Shes running around.

When my chin had a fever, i was told to keep a fan on her. You could try that to keep her from over heating.

If you have a/c it needs to be used, never let a chin run around in temps like that, heat stroke is very sudden and kills very quick-the blood coagulates in the veins and becomes thick and clots-its not a pretty death.

Yes, with temps that high, there is no excuse not to have the A/C on. I had my A/C in the chins room running in late March/early April because it did get very warm. You are asking for your chin to get heatstroke.

When my chin had a fever, i was told to keep a fan on her. You could try that to keep her from over heating.

Fans do absolutely nothing to cool chins off. They do not sweat like us. I would never point a fan directly at a chin as the drafts can cause problems.

I agree with Dawn. Do not let her run around without the a/c on. What is the temperature in the house? If it is above 75 you need to turn it on. Chins get very uncomfortable in those temps.

I havent only because it has been 40 to 60 to 50 to 80 very crazy but better save than sorry! I am happy its back to 55 today. and 48 tomorrow. I didnt turn it on to be cruel its just been ridiculously cold for this time of year.
I'll be so happy to be out of WI.

It never really gets that hot where I am but on the few days that is has, I let the chin play in the bathroom that's covered in tile which naturally maintains a temperature lower than the air. If you have a tile bathroom that might be a good place to play! But I guess I'd limit playtime a lot. Again, it doesn't really reach that high where I live so I'd probably listen to Ann on this one haha

My Chinnie seems to like the fan, but he used to be in my bed room and i always have a fan on in my room. so i guess he was just used to it. However a fan does come in handy if your AC isn't in he same room as your chin. I am now using a fan to pull cool air into his room. I also double ziploc bag crushed ice, to make a makeshift ice bed for him. And i cover it with a thin layer of fleece. My Miguel doesn't chew on his fleece so i find this safe to do for now. He likes this and just having it in the cage near him cools it down at least three degrees. I like your frozen jug idea! I'm going to have to try that once the temps creep up to the eighties here.

Well we have central air which is even better, my dad informed me today that he has no idea why the fan didn't turn on. So hes looking to fix it by the time it starts heating up. If worse comes to worse I'm gonna keep her at my moms who has window units.
Thankfully its a cool 45 degrees today.
And thank you! I read it on a site and I thought it would be a good just in case sort of thing!

Here in Texas its usually HOT HOT HOT starting now. But somehow for a few days it gets down to the 50's at night. Our A/C is geared up and ready to be on when needbe, but on those night where its chilly, I turn the A/C to off instead of "auto" and just open a window.

Its perfectly fine to adjust the A/C when its cool outside- it'll save you money. But once it starts getting up to the mid 70's (inside or out) turn on the A/C!:thumbs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Fans do absolutely nothing to cool chins off. They do not sweat like us. I would never point a fan directly at a chin as the drafts can cause problems.

I'm so glad a vet gave me this advice :banghead: She also told me to keep her sitting on an ice pack.

I'm in the Chicago area where the temps have been all over the place (which really isn't that odd here for May). I don't go by the date on deciding when to turn the air on. If it is over 70 degrees in the house in the morning and it is going to be in the 80's outside, I know that I need to turn the air on. Of course, I would try to open windows in the evening to cool things down, but that doesn't always work.

Back