Overheating question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kendra

I was wondering what warning signs of over-heating are, I've seen pictures and stuff with really greasy looking chins who look probably lethargic, is there any like first signs to look for besides temperature?

This will be my first summer with ferdniand and have a thermometer and am getting a few granite slabs soon. I am being paranoid and want to be sure that I've got everything I need (I also know the whole cooler the better and should be around the 60's mid to low range). I also know things happen and want to know what to look for if it does get too warm and the thermometer isn't working well or something and be able to notice before it gets too bad- or I may be really paranoid and it's actually something really obvious.

Thanks

I didn't see you say anything about an a/c but you do have one, correct? Signs to look for is very red ears and/or the veins will be really noticeable. Others include lethargic, inactive, and possibly laying on side on anything remotely cool to GET cooled...

Just an FYI for any new people nothing replaces an air conditioner.

If the room they are in gets hot now, you definatly need a A/C unit!
Some things you can do to help, and keep your bills down are;
get the solar-reflecting film on any window that gets direct sun, cover the same window with room-darkening shades and curtains,
put a de-humidifier in your "chin room"
If you have central A/C - you can adjust the vents to keep the room cooler than the rest of the house. Open the ducts in that room all the way, partially close the one in the room with the thermostat, and adjust the rest for comfort - might take some time to get it right, but it's worth it! I kept mine at 65-68 degrees and they were very comfortable.
Reverse the vents accordingly for the winter!

Last edited:
A de-humidifier produces lots and lots of heat and I would not recommend putting on in your chin room. An AC unit cuts down on the humidity on its own.

Great, sorry I didn't mention an AC, I have one but it sucks so I'm going to get a small room one as well. It stays really quite cool around here otherwise (I'm right on a bay), it generally does not get above about the mid 80's and that's pretty warm. I just want to be prepared in case of a heat wave or something and ACs not being up to par (I can get nervous easily and tend to think of worst case scenerios just in case).

Thanks for the info!

Also if it's not that bad you might be able to put a fan on, but remember one thing whether it's a fan, A/C or the window is open on a nice breezy day, do not let the air flow right on top of your pet.

Jean

Back