Over a year and my chins still don't like me

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deliamaj

love my chins!
I have had my older chins for a little over a year and they still refuse to bond with me at all. They run away if I try to touch them, they totally ignore me during playtime even when i'm on the floor with them. They ignore my voice when I talk to them. I say their names constantly but they refuse to acknowlege or respond to them. I know I asked before but I tried everything people suggested and nothing changed. Should I give up and just let them be how they want to be? I still love them and take care of them but it is frustrating that they won't even pay me any attention unless they think they are going to get a treat. And now the little one is starting to act this way as well. I have only had him for three months so it's to be expected that we havent bonded much yet, but he used to sit still when I petted him in his cage and now he jumps away after only a few seconds. I have been holding him and petting him a little before every playtime trying to get him used to me and to trust that I'm not going to eat him, but I can't tell if this is working at all as he still looks for escape routs when I do this and today discovered, thanks to Elena making a loud noise and scaring him, that he can jump from the height of my arms and land on his feet.

Maybe I am just a horrible chin parent. I don't get to spend as much time with them as I would like. They get playtime 4-5 nights a week and lots of toys and things in their cages, so I think their quality of life is okay, but maybe i'm just not around enough to bond. I am still trying with Cloud but maybe Elena and Tseng are too set in their ways (they are 11). Any thoughts?

Danielle

Each chin has their own personalities. Idk what you want them to do to show they like you. They aren't like dogs and cats who like getting held and petted. That's extremely rare.

they sound like normal chins to me. What are you expecting out of them? I have never had a chinchilla that ENJOYED being held. I've had a few that tolerated it, but none that I would say actually liked it. The only time any of then pays me positive attention is while I am handing out treats. It is my opinion, but Iwould enjoy them for who they are. They know you love them, feed them, and care for them.

I've only ever had one chin who when I got him (from a pet store) was horrified of people. I put alot of time into him to the point where he follows me around the room and I almost never give him treats. I've heard a lot of comments on their indifferent nature towards people but he's very loveable towards me. I keep him in an area where he gets to see what I am up to every day from his cage and he gets playtime every evening. By being in close proximity to me and my family he also very friendly towards other people and warms up to them quickly. Maybe spending more time with them wouldn't hurt? Im no chin expert or anything I just think that putting in time and effort can pay off. Plus I dislike the idea of such a complex minded animal being in a cage at all.

I don't really know what I expected, but people say their chins respond to the sound of their voices, beg for attention, climb on them during playtime, things like that. I have heard of chins who will go to their people and rest on them or with them when they are tired of playing. Kkits' chin follows her around. People have said their chins groom them. Chins can supposedly learn their names, but mine never have. Elena and Tseng don't do any of that. Elena actively avoids contact with me of any kind. If I lean in her direction she takes off running. I don't need to hold them or anything but I did rather expect them to accept me eventually. Everyone talks about bonding but it's just not happening with them.

I think Cloud's problem is that he's ADHD. He seriously is worse than a two year old. He can't do anything for longer than a few seconds. He bounces around his cage like a tiny rocket. Is this normal?

Yep the bouncing is totally normal!

I've had 3 chins, but none of them liked to be held. They would tolerate a small amount of petting, but would take off as soon as they'd had enough. Chins just aren't super-cuddly pets. None of my three responded to their names either, and would only come to me if they knew it was play out time, or if they were going to get a treat.

It doesn't sound like your chins are unusual in any way. It's not your fault either I'm sure. Chins are just independent lil critters!

Perhaps save treats for when you are having play out time with them, and then reward them with a treat when they get close to you. After a while, only reward them when they touch you. Wait a while longer, then only reward them when they climb on you. That way, your chins will associate climbing on you with getting a nice treat.

Don't be disheartened... keep trying :)

I thought my chin didn't like me - after over 18 months I only last week was able to hold her without her dropping fur and struggling to get away! But then I took her to the vet in the weekend and the first thing she ran to was me, not her cage. Just because they don't show affection, doesn't mean they don't like you, just that there's more interesting things to check out at playtime :D

As everyone else is saying, you're chins sound quite normal! Even though mine loves attention and will use me as her own personal jungle gym during playtime, she's still very independent and prefers to do her own things a lot of the time- things like having her run away or completely ignore me is very common during her playtime, even when she's not doing anything in her cage. We have a very strong bond together, but we both know our boundaries.

She was years old when I rescued her I believe; I've had her about 4 years now- if a miscared for chin who sat alone in her cage most of her life and open up like she did, I'm sure you'res can too. :)

It also sounds like they're very happy, I don't think you're doing anything wrong!

Tseng and Cloud don't seem unhappy so I guess they are doing fine but Elena acts miserable all the time. She sulks and hides, she doesn't want to go out for playtime and when I tried to encourage her to come out yesterday, she kacked at me and bit me! She kacks at me on occasion so that's not new but she's never ever bitten me. Then when she leaves the cage she runs under it and won't come out. She might be having a mood swing, I don't know. If it's possible for a chin to be bipolar, Elena is. I'm pretty sure she's mad at me but I'm not sure for what. I want her to be happy but I don't know how to make her happier. It's really her acting so cranky and ornery that makes me think they don't like me. Can I do anything to cheer her up or pep her up?

She just sounds like she wants left alone. That doesn't make them 'happy or un happy'. Not all chins like attention. I have 2 that would prefer Ionly feed and water them... anything more they just don't like.

She used to have good days, be exploratory during playtime, come to the cage bars to beg for treats, and also her sulky days when she hides and kacks at people (I found out yesterday its not just me). But lately she hasn't been having good days. I'm hoping its just a phase and will resolve itself with time.

honestly, I wouldnt take Elena out for playtime. If it scares her then dont do it. I have one chin who hates people, I dont mess with him. I dont take him out (unless medically needed), he gets fed, watered, and he gets treats. He is healthy and cared for. He is much happier not being messed with.

Your chins do sound very normal, I wouldn't worry. They are temperamental creatures, and can go 'moody' for anything - for example, if my chin doesn't get his bath on time or something like that, he will be overtly cold towards me until playtime. Also, I think you should keep trying. No, they probably will never like being petted and held, but it makes it more special when you get the odd snuzzle off them. I think they could maybe sense your stress, I know that sounds odd, but I was the same when my chin seemed to adore my partner and hate me. When I accepted it and relaxed and left him to it, it was the first night he came and climbed all over me. Try and relax, and try not to let it affect the way you treat them (I'm not saying anything about you personally, I'm sure you would love and care for them regardless, but just be sure you're acting consistently lovely towards them so they don't feel they've done wrong).

I've read before (please, someone correct me if I am wrong) that females are generally less tolerant to being held than males, and are much more distrustful. Just make sure to keep that in mind. Make sure it doesn't get you down! Keep at it and good luck! Remember that chins are very independent creatures, it is nothing you're doing wrong.

A few days ago Elena decided her mood was over and was back to normal. She ran around during playtime, sniffed everything, and came close enough to take a treat from my hand (though she ran away to eat it). I may have done something before to make her mad at me, she's picky about her environment and kind of a control freak, so I think she's easily offended. Whatever I did, she seems to be over it. I don't think she'll ever be affectionate, I'll just let her be herself and leave her alone if she wants to be cranky and be available if she wants my attention. And I will have to try not to make her mad!

My little guy, Gizmo, absolutely hates being touched. He will tolerate it in small increments if you catch him in a good mood & he lets us pet him right before he takes his after-playtime nap, but he certainly doesn't enjoy it. For the longest time, if I'd try to pick him up for any reason, he'd keck at me and flail around like a madman until I put him down. After about 6 months, he'll give a halfhearted keck every now and then, but he won't flail & usually wont make a peep, opting to shoot me a furtive glare instead lol. Every chin is different, and not to sound like a broken record here, but they don't like to handled much & they are happiest when we (as owners) respect that. Whenever I let Giz out for playtime, I always sit or lie down & let him zoom around and do his thing. He eventually caught on that I wasn't going to chase him, and he started using me like a jungle gym! Just be patient & do your best to respect your chin's comfort zone, and they should open up a bit

If you want a lap pet, or a pet that runs up and greets you, a dog is for you. Chins never got the notice. But I'm sure in the last year they've trained you well to do their "dirty work" for them!

If by dirty work you mean taking care of their constantly increasing mess, then you would be right! i wasn't expecting them to be lap pets after all I read before I got them, but I wasn't expecting a total freak out when i tried to pick them up either. My research somehow missed that. I expected them to be grumpy about it, but I didn't expect to get chomped or scratched up, which is exactly what I got when I had to hand feed Tseng when he was sick. (That burrito wrapping thing is impossible.) Maybe that's why he is so intolerant of being touched now? Is that something he can ever get over?

I have 5 soon to be 6 and each one is different. The 2 females don't mind being held the most. They'll sit still for a couple minutes before getting wiggly and let you pet them on the head for a short while. The 2 young boys are treat junkies and so will step on you looking for a treat. The smaller one will sit on my arm if I put it near the cage and wait for treats. Neither sit still for holding very well. They are wiggly and may jump for the cage which they often miss. Katsu my older male is a hyper spastic thing. We were warned about that when we got him but decided we don't mind. He's all over the cage, near impossible to catch, barely stops for treats, and has to be held by the base of the tail when transported to the chin proof room or being checked over to avoid him leaping away. He'd be gone immediately otherwise and I often have scratches after handling him. My husband has gotten him to the point you can pet him on the head for a few seconds when he's sleepy or shredding an apple branch but that's it.

None of them care about me during out of cage time. They want to take a bath, jump on all the objects left in the bathroom, fall in the bathtub, take another bath until the floor, toilet cover, and edge of the bathtub are covered in blue cloud. So glad I didn't get the sparkly kind. They might run over my foot or something on their way from one side of the bathroom to the other. They won't stop for treats while out.

We just accept they are fuzzy things to look at, feed treats to, and laugh at. Pretty much all the money I'm getting from hedgehog sales next month is going in to buying chin objects so they can be even more entertaining in their cage. We have 2 cages set across from each other in the main path through the house so they get a lot of attention even if it's not touching them. My husband often forgets what he was doing because he stopped to talk to or feed treats to a fuzzy that is out playing. We just make sure their cages are interesting and give them things to chew and shred. Katsu is working on one of those hay tunnels right now and making a huge mess but it's funny to watch him rip pieces off and he's having a great time with it. It does lead to me going outside in the very cold temps to shake out fleece so it doesn't kill our washer. Cleaning the washer junk trap leads to all the water stuck in there running out on the floor. It's a bad design.

Latest posts

Back