Others doing your grooming?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tati121

I will be trying to attend the York show in April and I want to show Watson just to see how the whole process works first-hand. Since he's my first chin and I have no showing experience, I neither know how to groom nor have any combs of my own. Is it a big no-no to ask and pay someone to groom your chin for you? I mean, it's not like you're helping the competition since Watson's just a lovely little pet-store chin.

Yay, nay?

You can ask someone to groom for you, or the best thing would be to ask for someone to show you, then loan you some combs. Many people have enough grooming to do without adding another, lol. Also show prepping will make a huge difference, make sure you do it. If you can find anyone around you to show you how to comb and stuff before, it will also make a difference.

I am a terrible groomer and have had people help me many times. My plan it to win the lottery, buy a huge motor home and hire a driver/groomer! Then I'll attend shows all over the country!

Jan Ryerson is almost always willing to help. If Dave Woods (the judge) sees a chin that hasn't been groomed right on his 'show table' he often says 'go to Jan she will show you how'

I should have added that I am willing to help others groom at shows as well. I think I have helped Becky several times.
I think one year at Nationals, I helped three or four other people, including grooming my own chins. However, if I have brought many chins of my own, I am not so willing to help. lol
And if the chins I groom do better than my own, I may not be as willing to help again. ;) JK!!

Brenda is a great groomer Becky and would do you well, she pre-groomed the Grandshow at the Michigan show the night before.

Everyone is very willing to help people learn (some of us still need a lot of work on grooming...I know I do)

Brenda is a great groomer Becky and would do you well, she pre-groomed the Grandshow at the Michigan show the night before.

Yep - I could have mentioned that, too. Might be the last time I help Randy, considering my girl was reserve to his black I groomed!! ugh!!!

Yup. I'd be very happy if Brenda would groom for me at every show, but I usually can't talk her into it!! Nicole helped me at MI and she also did a great job!

I've helped groom. I can't sat that I'm that great at it (especially with the squirming chins) but I do ok.

With my own chins, I prefer to groom them before we leave for the show (when they are at home and relaxed) that way I get most of the dead fur out and I just have to do a quick touch up groom the morning of the show, leaving me free to help others who have more chins to groom.

I had help grooming when I showed Bronwyn, it was a bit traumatic for me but I don't thnk her lol! I never offer to help groom because a lot does ride on grooming, but I'm more than happy to learn on any rejects lol!

Yep - I could have mentioned that, too. Might be the last time I help Randy, considering my girl was reserve to his black I groomed!! ugh!!!

I will mention more Brenda.....You only pre-groomed the black, I did the actual morning of the show grooming. It was still a female effort and Randy shouldn't get any credit at all for getting Grand show.
Jeri

I will mention more Brenda.....You only pre-groomed the black, I did the actual morning of the show grooming. It was still a female effort and Randy shouldn't get any credit at all for getting Grand show.
Jeri

That's right! Randy can't take credit for her at all. hehehe ;)
Maybe Jeri & I should colloborate on grooming more often!! :D

It's so nice to hear so many people are willing to help!! :dance3:

Back