Opinions on this counter top

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To have or not to have... a backboard.

• Lip Lip!

Votes: 31 93.9%
  • No lip!

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

Spoof

Kung Fu Chinny!
Long story short, I need a countertop here. Being exceptionally short on funds but having a crapload of wood from the chins I decided to embark on the make your own countertop journey.

Someday when I have funds I'd like to get the current fugly counters and wall tiled with some black or green granite or something.

That said, should I put a lip on the back or not? It looks kinda ghetto with the paneling in the back as I didn't putty or prime that far down, which is an easy fix. However a traditional butcher block counter doesn't have a lip... and I might have to sell the house before anything else (except painting) gets done.

Attachments

• CounterLip.jpg
    CounterLip.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 115
  • CounterNoLip.jpg
    CounterNoLip.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 110
  • StraitLip.jpg
    StraitLip.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 124
  • StraitNoLip.jpg
    StraitNoLip.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 122
Put the little backsplash on. It will look better in the long run, and keep stuff out of that little crack between the wall and the countertop. You probably need to caulk it anyway...I'd go with the lip.

Are you going to seal up the wood with something? I'm not familiar with putting such a countertop in! I have to ask.

I like the lip too. That reminds me so much of my cabin that my grandpa built. I love that wood and think it looks nice.

Thanks!

Are you going to seal up the wood with something?

Definitely. I'll have to use the good stuff as pine is very much not recommended for this type of use. It's too soft. Luckily I have some left over from an old project, it's $40 a gallon.

Next steps are to start gluing and clamping pieces together, those will take about 24 hours to dry, probably a couple of days for all of them. Attach the front and sand everything, then start the hardening/staining & sanding process which takes forever. This is going to be a long haul as I'll need more layers and want it to be glossy and resist scratching.

Time wise it'll probably be a two week project, I'm already three days into it. :D

I think the backsplash is needed (at least here it is) to catch crumbs etc. and I do think it looks better. You could look at doing a tile one too. I like what you're doing, it looks nice

I agree that you should have the lip in place to match the otherside more evenly...maybe a nice stain as well???

lip. then it will match the other side

I believe she's tearing the other side out?

I like the lip as well. As mentioned, it keeps the junk from falling behind and is so much easier to wipe down.

I need to make a list of projects for when you come up here............<snicker>

I flicked back and forth between the last 2 photos and I think it looks more "finished" with the lip.

Ok, ok, I'll put the lip on it. I was worried it would look odd when I rip out the other stuff and put tile - but then again it is 'stand alone' so might look cool.

Everyone's right about the crumbs too.

Thanks!

Yes to a back splash, but if you want something fun/cheap/decorative, get a few dollar store/cheap plates (yard sales work too), break them up (pillow case + hammer + cheap dishes = great after a crap day at work), then trowel on a 1/2" thick layer of grout where the back splash would be and press pieces of the busted glass/ceramic into it. Let it dry and seal it well and you're done. :)

I finished the final coat on this Sept 1st. It took a long time to compress and glue the individual boards, I gave each one a day to dry. I still need to find a front piece for it.

I've also finished priming the back wall and put a socket cover over the oven. Not sure if I'm going to leave it primed for the new owner or attempt to paint. I dislike painting.

Attachments

• Counter1.jpg
    Counter1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Counter2.jpg
    Counter2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 85
From what I've seen looking at countertops around here they include a lip in the price of the material and install. I'm not sure how that works if you do it yourself. But for example here I can get granite for $80 a sf installed (which is $160) a linear foot don't forget! But they include the back lip

Back