Opinions on feed...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CritterLover86

(Sorry for 3 threads here in one day, just lots of diet related questions today! )

I currently feed Mazuri, and just heard today that Mazuri is not as good for older chins because of the protein levels? Keeping this in mind, Dodger is about 7 years old, so I'm wondering if a food switch is in order, I would just like to do what's best for my boys. (By the way, Raider is 2, and Polaris is 11 months) So, it'd probably mean all 3 of them being switched.

Not that I wouldn't try again, but I did try oxbow a while back, before finding out that the culprit to Dodger's weight loss was silent giardia that he had going on since I had brought him home. I had thought it was maybe the Mazuri, I brought home oxbow.. and neither boy would touch it. I could try again, but I'd love to heard other opinions on feed.

I know tradition is another one that's recommended, and I've also heard good things on Manna Pro Sho.

I'm open to all suggestions, if I should switch them, I'd like to be switching them to a good feed that they'll eat!

I use Mazuri for old chins, they do just fine on it. I think that the extra protein is good for them to build good, lean muscle mass as they get older. Thor is going on 13 years old, he's been eating Mazuri for over 12 of those years. :)

There are other options, but if he's used to the food so I wouldn't switch him if he were here.

I don't recall anyone saying it was bad for older chins. It is, I believe, the highest in protein count for chin food, but older or younger wasn't an issue.

What people have said is that they have had loose poop with Mazuri and better results with other feeds, better poops, better coats. However, those who like Mazuri and have no issues with it just stay with it. It's the old saying of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I don't like Mazuri, and I won't use it again because of how it affected my chins. Other people love it and have no issue. If it works for YOU, then continue to use it. If it doesn't, then switch.

i have used mazuri since i first got richie about 5 years ago and really had no problems, i am on my last of it though. the reason i switched it because i noticed my other chins didnt seem to eat much of it and they really seem to all like the Purina Advanced Nutrition for Rabbits, which is now called Purina Rabbit Chow Show. I just bought my first bag of the show so i cant comment on how they like it however; they have all done really well on the PANR, with most of them gaining weight and much less waste. I have 2 chins that still like the mazuri but they are getting weaned off very slowly and i will start introducing the new show formula and see how that goes.

Latest posts

Back