Opinions needed for pet tent please :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn

ZooKeeper
Hi guys! We are looking at getting one of these pet tents for our chi, Maya: http://cgi.ebay.com/PET-TENT-DOG-PU...EL-MAROON-/140442432165?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 What do you guys think about them? We want to put Maya in this when we can't keep an eye on her for short periods of time, or when we go camping. Can she chew her way out of this? It looks very convenient for packing around, but I want to make sure that if I'm not watching her, she won't be chewing her way out and escaping. Any opinions and comments are great! Thanks!

That's similar to what most people here use for their chins for playtime. I know most people love them, but she might be able to chew out of it if she really wants to. What about metal collapsable pens?

I thought about that, Ash, and we can certainly go that route, but this type is just so much lighter and much easier to transport. But if the majority of opinions are that it may not be safe enough to keep her unattended in it for short periods of time, then I'll go with the metal pen instead.

The material is a coated canvas and the windows are mesh. The floor uses velcro to hold it down so a chinchillas shouldn't be left in one unattended. Edgar however loves his and can run around the sides of it.

Lots of people seem to use those for their dogs without any problems. I certainly wouldn't leave any animal in it unattended, simply becasue there is the possibility of escape, but I wouldn't leave a dog unattended in a strange place anyway.

I agree Peggy, this would be mostly used at home when I have to turn my eyes away for a minute. My dobie can be chained up, but I really can't do that for the chi. So we thought a covered pen would be best for her. And it would be placed as close to us as possible.

I'm wondering how tall the covered sides are...Maya will stay small, only 5 lbs, and may not really be able to reach the mesh above it...??? The door is more exposed, but may be able to cover a small portion of that as well. But like said, it is more of needed to put her down, but have her close by while we are eating, or cooking, or doing something that makes it hard for us to watch her 100% of the time. Not intended for leaving her for long periods of time or out of eyesight.

Last edited:
I bought one of those for my chins and my floor is not velcro. The dimensions on lower on the page saying 24" high. I got the 36'' one i think to also double it over as a spot to put my dog during agility trials.

If she is a chewer though she might be able to get out.

I'd just get a crate. My dogs have crates and if they need to be contained, in their crates they go. It's a safe place for them and everyone else.

sounds like a crate, or collapsible metal pen is the way to go, then. Safety first. I just liked the idea of how easy it would be to transport and to carry the mesh tent pen. We have a larger crate that my dobie doesn't use, and as long as it is safe for her small size, I'll just use it. It is sooooo heavy, though! lol

I have one of these made by the Port-A-Pet company, and honestly, it is the best money I have spent. But, I honestly think it really depends on the individual pet. If your pet is prone to trying to escape, I would not advise getting it.

I got some great tips from people on craigslist. Don't just plop them in it the first time and leave them. Have them go inside of it with the doors open, so they can come out when they want. Then add a few play toys, food, and water.

There are loops on mine that you stake into the ground.

My cousin has two Chi's. One I would never put in it, the other has used it while visiting - and it works great for him. If you want to try it and it doesn't work out, I will say this. They are generally very easy to resell for really close to new price if they are in great condition.

Thanks, Phoenix, we still are leaning toward the pup tent, and I will check into the one you mentioned. Maya really isn't much of an escape artist, at least not yet, and I think it is worth trying out before we dismiss the idea. Being that when she is in it, she'll be close by to us, I think it will be ok, but we do have a heavy crate, not easily transportable, but it is something we can use at home when our attention to her isn't 100%. And we have found some that are quite cheap, so it won't be a huge monetary loss if it doesn't work out. But I agree that it comes down to the individual dog, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will work for her. :)

I have a 5lb Shih Tzu/Maltese and I bought her a mesh crate, which is kind of a midpoint of your 2 options. It's mesh and a canvas material which is like the play pen and it is a crate with bars that hold the mesh/canvas up. It zips all up and is absolutely wonderful!!! I use it for travel and if i'm going to be gone for long periods of time and she has never escaped. She is a big "scratcher/digger" but she has never gotten out of this cage. And if you want a little more room for your dog you can just go up the next size. And it's fully collabsible and comes with a carrying bag!
Here is the link: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3097929&ab=hp_ln_dog

They are a bit costly. But totally worth it! I lucked out and got the small for only 29.99 on clearance a few years ago.

Latest posts

Back