Open Wound Help - Keeps re-opening

• Thread starter GreaseLightning
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the update. I've been thinking about your little one lately. We have our quills crossed that the biopsy results give you some answers and that they are results for something that can be cured quickly and easily.

Well, the preliminary results of the biopsy came back, indicating a mites/allergic reaction. The vet did not see any signs of mites nor did I, but she was treated for mites last Saturday just to rule that out. I can't imagine what she could have an allergic reaction to. I use newspaper to line her cage and use the same bedding in her litter box that I've always used, and her food bowel, water bottle and wheel are all plastic.

When this whole thing started I switched from newspaper to plain white computer paper, and instead of bedding in her litter box I used shredded white computer paper. So I can't imagine what she had any allergic reaction to, and if it ever was mites they should be taken care of.

Anyway, she leaves the wound alone as long as she's on the pain meds. So we'll just keep her on those long-term unless that stops working.

Did they determine it was an allergy because there was an absence of anything else? If so, hopefully it heals up enough so they can check and eliminate a physical (muscle/bone) injury as well.

Greyson is scabbing up again finally. He was on metacam but we switched him to buprenorphine since he was still bothered with the metacam. He seems to be leaving it alone (thanks for asking).

Quills crossed for your little one. Once it heals, it may be worth ensuring it isn't something below the skin (muscle/bone) if you haven't already.

I'm not 100% sure if it was ruled allergic reaction as a last probable cause or not.

The vet looked at her closely the first time she opened her wound up, when there was only one and it was a lot smaller. I'm pretty certain that there isn't anything going on in the muscle and certainly not in the bone, but if this doesn't heal up or she continues to have problems that's an avenue we'll certainly check out.

We are keeping her on Metacam until she's allowed the wound to heal. It's scabbed over and see seems to be well on her way to recovery. She's tolerating the Metacam pretty well, but if she starts to have problems we'll switch to something else.

It's great to hear that Greyson is finally scabbing over as well. I'm sorry that this happened to you as well but it was very comforting to be able to talk to someone going through the same thing.

I have no idea what caused this whole disaster but it looks like it's all over now. Quills crossed for Greyson, too!

Update for everyone still following the story.

My hedgehog is completely cured. Her wound is closed, not scabbed over anymore, 100% healed. She's off her pain meds and seems much happier and perkier.

We're going to dose her one more time for mites, just in case. But I consider her cured!

Thanks to everyone for your support.

So glad to hear!!! I really think it is a pain reaction when they can't leave it alone.

Greyson's scab has just fallen off leaving a small portion behind that remains to be healed. He has been completely leaving it alone so that is great. After the last bit of scab falls off, he'll be in for a wellness check to ensure there's nothing that can be felt underneath (since he was completely healed and decided to re-live the entire fiasco).

I'm glad both our hedges are doing well and thanks for the update.

I'm glad to hear that Charlie is doing well, too. The vet saw my little one yesterday and gave her the all-clear.

Back