Online products

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have that same magazine. I'm looking at getting some of the Terramycin Ophthalmic Ointment For when milo gets another scratched ulce and some of the Benepac.

Also the Fish Medicine on page 15 is the same thing that they give to dogs and cats, just so you know. The keflex thats used to treat staph infections is the same thing that's used to treat in dogs, cats, and humans. The metronidazole is for GI Tract Infections, they also use that for dogs and cats. So if you have any it would be cheaper to buy it from the magazine.

I guess for me personally, if I'm going to buy medication, I'd wait til I needed it and pay a bit more to get it from the vet. Reasoning would be that some of that stuff will expire, so you'd waste your money if you can't use it. And you shouldn't self-medicate anyways unless you're a vet or know what you're working with.

I tried looking and didn't find anything I would buy on there, but that's just me.

self medicating your chins or any other pets for that matter can be dangerous. until you have seen a vet for the serious symptoms, i wouldnt just purchase meds only preventative OTC items.
for eye irritation, the first route is a saline solution...the drops or ointments should only be used if you have used them before or your chin was seen by a vet.
gastrointestinal problems are usually dealt with first by trying some baby gas drops.

personally, if i had to buy anythinig to keep on hand, i would go with baby gas drops & saline both that can be purchased at walmart. and i would have either critical care or my chins prefer the essentials for life found at www.fuzzieskingdom.com
i would either keep a can of pumpkin or a small jar of baby food squash that can be mixed in by the teaspoon to the CC or EFL. anything else should be prescribed first by a vet until you are familiar with chins and their symptoms.

My mom and the vet are very close, and the vet actually told my mom that it was the same thing. We talked with our vet before we purchased the Keflex. Only because Zeus one of our dogs always gets staph infections, He gets 500mg 2x's a day. That doesn't expire until the 2012. We only buy the keflex and the GI Med for the dogs. My chin goes to the vet. The terrimycin is used for the chin because its the same thing that I have now for her scratched ulcer :)

I could be wrong, but aren't "Mycin" anti-b's bad for chins, anyway?

Tobramycin, terramycin, etc. are safe for chins so not all mycin antibiotics are toxic to chins.

I also looked it over and I don't think I would buy anything. I don't even like bene-bac personally, I just use probiotic capsules.

:) I was just there last weekend and looking at things for milo! They have activated charcoal and the Natural Brand Probiotics. I'll have to stop there again to pick some up.
Thanks!

What is activated charcoal?

The reason that I was asking about this site is because I'm trying to make up a basic First Aid kit for my chins. I know there's a post that has all of the things listed (Thanks Peggy). But I don't know what everything does. I know very well what bene-bac does, so it's basically the only thing I'm familiar with.

The only thing I would buy is Albon, but its not a good idea to self vet unless you have a boat load of experience with the illness you are treating and the chin has seen a vet for that in the past and you are replicating the treatment.

Latest posts

Back