One vs. Two?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raachhelxd

While looking into buying a chinchilla, I've noticed it's harder to find a same sex pair than it is to find a mixed sex pair, or just a single chinchilla. Mainly I'm looking for a boy. I've yet to find two boys together that are bonded. Is having one chinchilla still okay? I know I would have to pay more attention to it, & give it lots of love. But it's still okay, right? And is there any pattern in sexes? Is the male nicer? Female? Thank You!

I have noticed, as you stated, that you often do see opposite sex pairs for sale rather than same sex pairs. However, what many people do is get one chin from one person and another chin from another person, and after quarantine, try an intro. However, you never know if that will work out, so you would still want to have a spare cage on hand. Maybe check with some local chinchilla rescues? I can't speak for all of them, but here, we often have several males or several females living together that could be adopted out together, and I would think other rescues might do things similarly.

Having one chinchilla is perfectly fine, though. Chins can do perfectly fine on their own, and some even prefer being on their own. Some chins would rather be on their own than with a cagemate, and if your intro between two different chins did not work, then you'd have two that are living on their own.

I personally think males are nicer, but that's just me. I currently have several "nice" rescue females in, but typically I think of the females as constantly PMSing. But that's just me - some people have awesome females.

Yup, one chin will do just fine on their own. :)) And like greychins stated, you could always get two and try and intro after quarantine, and if they don't get along, just keep them separated. And I have mostly experience with males, but have owned 3 female chins (one currently, 2 in the past). All of my males, with one exception, have been extremely friendly and tolerant. Even the exception, my pink white male Charlie, isn't actually aggressive. He just hates it if you approach him, he HAS to approach you or he gets an attitude, lol.

Out of my females, all but one were really sweet. Lucy, my very first chin, was actually a lot like Charlie. It's not that she was actually mean, but she didn't like if you approached her and actually sprayed my cousin in the eye one time, lol. Apparently, it really hurts. :p Daisy, another female that I had, was just as sweet as any of my other males. And Cherry, who is currently my only female, is very sweet, and my only lap chin! She does have her moody moments when she just doesn't want to be messed with, but other than that, lol, she's a lovely chin! :)) So, in my experience, I truly thinks it depends on the individual chinchilla, regardless of gender.

Oh, and good luck on your chin hunt! :)) Getting your first is so exciting! :D

One is definitely ok alone. Keep him in a place where you and your family spend the most time. My chin loves to watch us watch tv and interact. Males seem to be friendlier too but that's just what i think.

I have a male and female as well. I really wanted a standard (just cause of the purty color), but when I found Sappho (my standard girl), she was already bonded with what the previous owner was told--by the breeder--was her "sister"....but what turned out to be her brother. :wacko: He is a mosiac.

And sadly, since they're male and female, I had to separate them. I think they miss each other....before I knew they were opposite sexes, they were always playing and sleeping on top of one another. And often Sappho pokes her nose through the floor of Confucius' cage (they're in a divided Ferret Nation cage). Confucius doesn't seem to care too much either way.

So far, he seems to be the sweeter one (though they're both about 4 and 5 months old, and I've been told their dispositions can change since they're so young)....he seems the most tolerant of being petted/handled, etc., and he LOVES to cuddle. Sappho would much prefer to explore.

I guess they're like most other kinds of pets (dogs/cats/etc.).... ya never know what you'll get!

I've got three boys. I had Mouse first and then got two brothers. For a while they were a bonded trio but then Monkey and Mouse started to beat up on Bugs so no Bugs is livign on his own while they other two remain bonded. so even having two brothers from the same litter wasn't a garuntee that they would get along. Bugs is so sweet with me and the other two want nothing to do with me unless I have treats for them.

I dn't know where you are but rescuees may have bonded pairs. No matter what you should have a set up that allows you to seperate them ASAP if needed. A FN 142 with the middle in is great, becasue you can just ocver over the hole beteen the levels with a chin chiller tile in a metter of seconds.

I think it's best to get two..I started with one and he seemed so lonely so I got him a another male friend. They are best friends, and I wouldn't dare separate them. My advice is to get two babies though, and let them grow up together. Hope this helps! :) I have two babies right now that are both males. I live in TN.

Many times if you go to a breeder they have same sex pairs. I wean all my babies into a same sex pair or trio.. But chinchillas really do often do fine on their own and it is much less risky. If you have one chinchilla he will not ever fight with his cage mate where sometimes 2 chinchillas will turn on each other

A lot of the times when going to the breeder they may not have them together, but are willing to do the introductions for you if you decide to purchase two animals of the same sex.

I try to wean in same sex pairs when I can. I often have same sex pairs that can be sold together because of this. Also, if a customer purchases 2 animals from me and they are housed in different cages I'll introduce them here before they leave so the customers don't have to worry about trying to intro them.

You just need to keep looking. If you are seriously interested in a pair search for a breeder who has more then one male for sale and is willing to do the intro for you, or you can purchase from two different breeders and do the introduction yourself.

It's perfectly fine to keep chinchillas alone, not all want or need to be housed with another chinchilla.

I think it's best to get two..I started with one and he seemed so lonely so I got him a another male friend. They are best friends, and I wouldn't dare separate them. My advice is to get two babies though, and let them grow up together. Hope this helps! :) I have two babies right now that are both males. I live in TN.

I did the same thing. I started with one, but with my job at the time i couldnt give him enough attention and felt bad. So i ended up getting him a female playmate. (and 3 kids later...)

I think a chin thats been alone most of their life after being weened is easier to keep alone as a pet. Rather then taking one that is bonded with another, and moveing them to be alone. Cause then they realy no what their missing :(

Latest posts

Back