Old(er) Chinchillas having babies.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZChins

Pro Cage Cleaner Champion
Sahuarita, Arizona (a half hour south of Tucson)
Lately I have heard many people in emails, online, in person and in phone calls that they have chinchillas that they put together because either they believe or were told that the animals were too old to breed. It's true that most older females (starting somewhere around 8 or 9 years old) may slow down considerably or may stop having kits altogether. However, this does not mean that there is not a chance that they can get pregnant and deliver kits in the future. Chances are that younger chins are more fertile, but the older girls may still have some eggs left!

I hope that everyone will stop saying that it's alright to put older females in with males because they won't breed. There can be risks involved to the lives of these females because 1) they may not be able to pass a kit...just because they are older doesn't mean that they physically can deliver without issues, and 2) they are older and there may end up being a greater likelihood that the pregnancy could cause problems simply because they won't bounce back like a younger female would. (With that I am not talking about breeding females that have been evaluated by a knowledgeable breeder or rancher, I mean any old female that someone finds on Craig's list or as a rescue, etc.)

It seems that a lot of people like to say, "It would be nice to have babies, but that's not the most important thing. We wanted a friend for our boy!" That can be difficult for me because I'm face to face with someone saying that and the person just doesn't know better. Not that ignorance is a good excuse, but they hear from someone at the petstore one thing and another from the person they bought a chin from in the past and that's all the information that they are going on until they are corrected. They don't know that there can be horrible problems even if everything is done correctly from the beginning.

Please understand...just because a female chin is 10 to 20 years old it does not mean that she no longer has the ability to produce kits. It's more unlikely that they will have babies, but it isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

(Yesterday I had a nearly 11 year old female have a really beautiful baby after over 5 years of not having any babies. I have babies of hers that are 6 to 8 years old right now! It was surprising that she would have a baby, but it wasn't a complete shock.)

I remember reading on one of the Chinchilla organization sites (think it was Empress) that asked breeders what their oldest female was in production, and the winner was in her 20's.

That's probably about right! I've had females give birth at around 14 - I really don't like for them to be that old and having babies, it makes me nervous. It goes to show that people thinking that they can pair up a old female with a male without babies may not work out.

I just want you to know that some of us hear what you are saying. We got our first chinchilla kit and we decided to show him because he had a decent pedigree. I got a mentor and learned from so many wonderful people but in the end we realized we like being pet owners. Breeding comes with so much risk and as well as a different way of looking at the chinchillas you do have. It also means that once a female is pregnant the boy is alone again unless you get him yet another female. I am very thankful for all the research we did into breeding but we only have boys at our house for a reason.

I've got some older girls in breeding. Not in their teens or anything but not spring chickens either. Every now and then they'll give me a baby.

My 15 year old male was my best breeder up until I retired him last year!

We have had females have babies on a regular basis up until they were 18-19 years old.

I have some of my older lines that are 7-13yrs old...some of them haven't had babies in a spell (over a year) but they're still here. Likely to retire them soon though. Males on the other hand...well...as long as the kits are quality they'll stay in as long as they want. BUT you have to know your animals. I've heard this "I was told they couldn't produce" story all too many times myself. Chinchillas are not humans. I'm sure they slow down in their later years, but they most definitely can still produce. Cautionary tale.

Back