Old clothes as something to play or nest with?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kwong2001

Well I got this idea yesterday, has anyone put any of their old clothes in their chins cages? I was thinking maybe Zoe might use it as nesting material or something just to mess around with. Maybe cut the clothes into small strips or just leave it intact so she could do whatever?

Assuming my idea is any good, is there any type of material I should shy away from?

There is controversy over this. Most people will argue that fleece is the only safe fabric. Other fabrics can fray and chins can ingest fibers that cause problems internally. I totally get your idea, though, just don't know about the materials. I'd stick with fleece to be safe personally.

Fleece is really the only fabric you can use with chins. They chew EVERYTHING, and that means unraveling the threads of the fabric with the possibility of a blockage should they ingest enough.

Check the classifieds -- we have a lot of very talented crafters here on the forum that make all sorts of accessories out of fleece: hamocks, fleece tubes, pillows, daybeds, etc. The possibilities are endless -- they are usually very happy to look for a certain pattern on which your heart might be set.

Hmmm, maybe I'll take a trip to the fabric store this weekend and see what they have.

Hmmm, maybe I'll take a trip to the fabric store this weekend and see what they have.

Check out Wal-Mart too. They have pretty good prices and, depending on the store, a pretty good selection too. I made a hammock this week that I didn't even sew - just cut fleece to the shape I wanted and hung it with some clips. Most people like to double the fabric, but I just cut a single piece and it's supporting one of my chins just fine and she loves it! So easy and cheap!

WalMart's are phasing out their fabric sections I was told, so many do not have them anymore.
That's interesting because I found a new WalMart this weekend that had the biggest fabric selection of any WalMart I've ever been to. I swear they had 3 aisle sides just of fleece! I know our other WalMart has an ok selection still too. Maybe I just got lucky...

Several Walmarts are rethinking phasing out their fabrics. The one near work is not phasing their out (in fact, the remodeling plan for the store is making it bigger!). I'm still hoarding fleece, though, in case they change their minds...

P.S. I get my sewing machine this weekend!!! No more sewing by hand for hours to make cage stuff safe!!!! :D

Back