oh yay!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't remove the wire at all. They haven't had any problems with it. But on the wire shelves, if you choose to keep them in (I did) Make sure that shelves hadn't previously been in it because the rip up the wire and then they poke their little feetsies :]

Any news on him?

l
pellets (nutriphase, but the ingredient list is very close to mazuri, and no treats in it! and his previous owner said he's done well on nutriphase before)

Nutriphase is far from a good pellet. Take a look at the ingredient list again..

Nutriphase Chinchilla Formula
Sun-cured alfalfa meal, dehulled soybean meal, ground oats, ground wheat, wheat middlings, dried beet pulp, lignin sulfonate, dicalcium phosphate, soy oil, oat groats, ground barley, sunflower seed, wheat, raisins, dried beet pulp, dried bananas, soy oil, dried cane molasses, wheat germ meal, salt, dl-methionine, magnesium oxide, calcium carbonate, dextrose, choline chloride, l-lysine, sodium selenite, anise oil, riboflavin supplement, manganous oxide, zinc oxide, vitamin b12 supplement, ferrous sulfate, yucca schidigera extract, biotin, mixed tocopherols (a preservative), citric acid, rosemary extract, copper sulfate, niacin, menadione sodium bisulfate complex (source of vitamin k activity), vitamin e supplement, vitamin a supplement, calcium pantothenate, cholecalciferol (source of vitamin d3), thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate, folic acid.

I just bolded the worst ingredients, many of the other ingredients are not that great either.

What is he being fed now? If it's a crappy brand, he needs to be switched to a good pellet. If it's a good pellet, he needs to be kept on it. Switching pellets around too many times can be pretty detrimental, so if you're going to do it, it needs to be to a good quality pellet that you can get consistantly.

Last edited:
the bag of nutriphase i have does not contain those bolded ingredients Stacie, and i mentioned that in this thread: http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22619. perhaps up here in Canada our nutriphase is a different formulation? i don't disagree that it isn't the best pellet out there, but it is better than the crap/treat food that pretty much takes over the small pet/rodent food section in petsmart.

regarding the consistency of getting a good pellet, the only stores around here that carry oxbow are petsmart, and they are very often sold out, but nutriphase is always available. this lil guy has been on nutriphase before and done well on it, according to the lady i'm getting him from (she's part of the local chin rescue group and has had this chin before he went to a supposedly forever home temporarily). the note in his supply bag when he came back to the rescue merely said 'petsmart brand pellets', and he had no pellets or even the empty bag in his supplies. oy!

perhaps i will call my nearest petsmart (walking distance, yay!) and ask them to put aside two bags of oxbow when they get it in next, and that way i'll have a supply for a while in case i can't find it at petsmart for some time. the only problem is that petsmart here doesn't know what is coming in to the store until they open the shipping boxes, so if they don't get any in on the next order then i'll be feeding the nutriphase if i get the chin before petsmart may get oxbow in. this petsmart usually gets their shipments in on tuesdays and the products are on the shelves for sale by wednesdays.

no news yet! i'm hoping it'll be earlier than tomorrow that i get him. i'm not good with waiting for anything, lol.

It's sort of hard to combine information if it's located in different threads through out the forum. Could you please post the ingredients that's listed on your bag of Nutriphase, as well as the nutritional analysis when you have the time?

He may have done well on the Nutriphase at one point, however you have to consider long term dietary effects, not just short term. You can feed an unhealthy pellet and the chin do fine, but they could end up having considerably shortened lifespans due to dietary deficiencies or problems caused by inaccurate feed. I.e., fatty liver disease- it's a gradual thing.

Is ordering online an option for you? I know there are several breeders up in Canada that sell good quality feed, and I'm sure there's other suppliers as well. Plus you would probably save money this way anyway.

Last edited:
just to clarify (and to practice my typing, lol), here is the ingredient list from the bag of nutriphase i have:

sun-cured alfalfa meal, dehulled soybean meal, ground oats, ground wheat, ground corn, wheat middlings, dried beet pulp, lignin sulfonate, dicalcium phosphate, soy oil, dried cane molasses, wheat germ meal, salt, DL-methionine, magnesium oxide, calcium carbonate, dextrose, choline chloride, L-lysine, sodium selenite, anise oil, riboflavin supplement, manganous oxide, zinc oxide, vitamin b12 supplement, ferrous sulfate, yucca schidigera extract, biotin, mixed tocopherols (a preservative), citric acid, rosemary extract, copper sulfate, niacin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin k activity), vitamin e supplement, vitamin a supplement, calcium pantothenate, cholecalciferol (source of vitamin d3), thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, calcium iodate, colbat carbonate, folic acid.

guaranteed analysis:
crude protein (min) 18.0%
crude fat (min) 3.0%
crude fiber (max) 17.0%
moisture (max) 12.0%

here is oxbow, copied directly from petsmart.com:

Alfalfa Meal, Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Meal, Limestone, Salt, L-ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Vitamin C), Cane Molasses, Yeast Culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement (tocopherol), Ascorbic Acid, Colloidal Silica, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Riboflavin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Pyrodoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Magnesium Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Manganese Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Mineral Oil, Calcium Iodate, Potassium Chloride.

Guaranteed Analysis:

* Crude Protein (min) 16.0%
* Crude Fat (min) 2.5%
* Crude Fiber (min) 18.0%
* Crude Fiber (max) 23.0%
* Moisture (max) 10.0%
* Calcium (min) 0.75%; (max) 1.25%
* Phosphorus (min) 0.25%
* Salt (min) 0.5%; (max) 1.0%
* Vitamin A - 20,000 IU/kg
* Vitamin D - 880 IU/kg
* Vitamin E - 140 IU/kg
* Copper - 10 mg/kg

here is mazuri, also copied from petsmart:

Ingredients: Dehydrated alfalfa meal, dehulled soybean meal, wheat middlings, ground oats, wheat germ, ground soybean hulls, dried beet pulp, cane molasses, soybean oil, dicalcium phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, dried whey, salt, DL-methionine, calcium carbonate, calcium propionate, Vitamin A acetate, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, choline chloride, magnesium oxide, cholecalciferol (vitamin D3), d-alpha tocopheryl acetate (natural source vitamin E), calcium pantothenate, zinc oxide, nicotinic acid, cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12), riboflavin, dried streptococcus faecium fermentation product, dried lactobacillus acidophilus ferment product, yeast culture, dried aspergillus niger fermentation extract, dried trichoderma virdie fermentation extract, manganous oxide, dried bacillus subtilis fermentation product, ferrous carbonate, copper sulfate, zinc sulfate, dried saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate, sodium selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (min.) 20.0%, Crude Fat (min.) 3.0%, Crude Fiber (max.) 18.0%, Ash (max.) 9.0%.

the only thing i don't like about the nutriphase is that it contains corn and dextrose (which can easily be hidden in other ingredients and not listed in the other foods), but a majority of the ingredients are on par with mazuri and oxbow. mazuri does contain a number of 'fermentation' ingredients that nutriphase and oxbow do not (could explain the soft poop some people experience with chins on mazuri?). and salt is listed much lower in the list on nutriphase than on oxbow!

everyone, i'd like your thoughts on the comparison of the three foods i've listed above.

ordering online means expensive shipping for heavier items (food, dust, etc), regardless of where they are coming from. i can't see myself spending more on shipping than the product costs. and i have yet to discover the local chin community well enough to facilitate a group order.

i fully understand the effects of bad food in the long term, that goes for any pet we keep, and also is true for us human beans too! i read labels more for my fishes foods than i do for my own food, lol, and royally ticked my mom off when she came into petsmart with me because i was reading pretty much every ingredient list on every bag of chin pellets i saw.

Last edited:
oh the suspense is killing me!!! the lady i'm supposed to pick this lil guy up from is delayed out of town and i'm not sure when she'll be back. gaaaa!!!! lol.

I can't wait to see the Rhino either! I keep hoping each time there's a new post in this thread, that you have photos!

I would just call your petsmart and see about getting a few bags of Oxbow set aside. It is a very good pellet.

Can't wait to see your baby!

I would just call your petsmart and see about getting a few bags of Oxbow set aside. It is a very good pellet.

Can't wait to see your baby!

they don't have oxbow in store right now and the problem with petsmart is that they don't know what is coming in on an order until they open the shipping boxes at the store. their next shipment of dry goods is supposed to happen today or tomorrow, and it's easy for me to get over there (walking distance, yay!), but if they don't get any oxbow in on this order it will be a week until the next order. if i get Rhino before they get oxbow in, i'll have to feed him the nutriphase. i don't drive, and getting to other petsmarts in my city is a pain in the dang tookus! lol.

i am concerned with where salt is listed in the oxbow ingredients though, it's rather near the top of the list, so that means there's quite a bit of salt. is anyone concerned about this too?

I still don't like the Nutriphase. I refuse to feed anything that has corn in it. It is one of the red flags you look for when looking for a cheap food.

The salt in Oxbow is within normal range with other chinchilla pellets. Tradition has .3-.8% while Oxbow is .5-1%. Oxbow is one of the best brands out there IMO and many people feed it with no problems.

You can feed him just hay for a couple of days until you get the Oxbow and he'll be fine. IMO I would suck it up and buy food online if you can't get it reliably locally. Might as well do it now before you get him so you have the pellets when he arrives. It doesn't have to be Oxbow. Serena at Chinchilla Park Place is in Canada sells Alderpark pellets which I have heard good things about. There are also several other Canadian members on here that I'm sure could point you somewhere. If you're going to take care of a chin, you need to be feeding a high quality pellet period, and Nutriphase is not one of those- it's Petsmart's brand. I'm sorry if it's not a convenience. When you think about how much you spend on the teeny bags from pet stores compared to people who ship food, you most likely are getting more for your money.

Last edited:
i am concerned with where salt is listed in the oxbow ingredients though, it's rather near the top of the list, so that means there's quite a bit of salt. is anyone concerned about this too?

There are pros and cons to every feed. Nutriphase has lignin sulfonate. While this may be a good binder it is actually anti-nutritional. But my feed (PRCS) has it too. And PRCS' ingredients are pretty much in between Mazuri's and Oxbow's. It also has .5-1% salt in it.

Really you just gotta try to get the best feed you can and I seriously consider the word of reputable breeders since they've seen the feed's effects the most.

At least personally, since for some reason no stores around me sell my feed, buying online is not expensive. I almost always buy my feed with other stuff and since I only have one chin, I don't have to buy a lot of it. I just buy about 5 pounds at at time and it'll last Chloe 2-3 months. And by the time she runs out, I'm already wanting to buy her more wood or another house or something anyways.

Hope you get your guy soon!!

i'm not saying i'll feed only nutriphase and never anything else, but if the chin gets here before i can get oxbow or another quality feed, then i wouldn't want him going more than a couple days on just hay. even ordering online at this point would mean a week at the minimum until it got here, and i am not paying over 20 to 30 dollars for express shipping, that truly is ridiculous when i'm spending less than 10 dollars on feed.

when petsmart does get oxbow in, i'm buying a couple bags and freezing one of them in a vacuum sealed bag to keep it fresh until i need it. 10 pounds of pellets (two bags) should last me quite a while, long enough to find a good supplier other than petsmart that isn't going to cost me a lot in shipping. we may be in the prairies but feed stores in urban Edmonton are not plentiful! lol.

woo hoo! the next closest petsmart (other than the one i can walk to) has oxbow in and i have a bag on hold until closing tomorrow, and have a ride lined up for either today or tomorrow to go get it, and return the nutriphase too.

what amazes me is that this petsmart got 6 bags of oxbow in just yesterday late afternoon and there is only the one bag left now (the one i have on hold). not even 24 hours and they nearly sold out already! i'm going to see what i can do with my nearest petsmart about having them keep me on file for whenever oxbow comes in, and immediately/automatically putting a bag on hold for me before it even hits the shelves.

for all you folks with just a single chin, about how long does a 5 pound bag of pellets last?

I know this is off topic, based on recent posts about feed, but doesn't anyone find it a bit SAD to be foster parent to a chin?

I'd miss them too much when they left. Thats a lot of heartbreak over and over the more you do this. Especially the real nice ones that love you back. :cry3:

I could never do it. Kudos to you for helping out. ;)

i'm still in the process of deciding if the long term commitment of having a chin is for me, so fostering is the perfect solution.

when Gery was here, i fell in love with her instantly, and every day since she went home i wonder if she's being cared for properly and getting as much attention as i gave her. having said that, watching her go home wasn't as hard as i thought it would be.

who knows, Rhino (the foster furbutt) may be here long term. the group affiliated with him is very particular about where their rescue/foster chins go, and i know they are currently involved with a big rescue attempt of 20+ chins, so Rhino may not be their biggest concern for forever home placement right now, and i completely understand.

still waiting for Rhino to get here though, and it's killing me! lol. i have everything ready, my Camphor order should be here by next week, shelves are all sanded and i just have to install hardware, and i've been so bored between 10 pm and middlenight lately! (that's when i would play with Gery/clean her cage).

thanks Amy! i figured it would take me at least a couple/few months to go through a bag of pellets, but wanted to double check with those that have had time to figure out how long a bag lasts on average in actuality.

Try G&E Pharmacy in Edmonton for Chin feed. They sell a good quality feed in, I think 40 or 50lb bags.

Melanie

Back