Official CnH 2010 Hedgehog Calendar - Deadline extended!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

menagerie

Creative Genius
Deadline extended to Saturday, October 24, at midnight!

I've been given the go ahead from the Administration to organize an official CnH hedgehog calendar for 2010.

The details:
The deadline for accepting entries is October 22, 2009. This means you have 3 weeks.

Submission requirements:
1. Images need to be high quality. If taken with a digital camera, they need to be taken at the digital camera's highest setting. Digital images ideally should be at least be 9" x 11. 5" at 150 dpi (1350 x 1725 pixels). CafePress will trim the edges to 8.5" x 11". Ideally, send me the original digital camera file. The file format should be JPEG.

2. When submitting photos, please also provide your screen name, your general location, and the name(s) of the hedgehog(s) in the photo.

3. I'll be only accepting a maximum of 4 photos from each forum member.

Remember, the bigger the better when it comes to photos. If your photo is too small, it won't be eligible, even if it's a perfect photo, as it will be too pixilated when enlarged and printed. Focus is important. Many a perfect pose has been turned down because the photo is out of focus. While it might not be noticeable in a smaller format, out of focus photos don't translate well to calendar sized prints. If your photo isn't chosen for these reasons, please don't take it personally.

Where to send submissions:
Email the photos to [email protected]. This email address can accept large files.

Who can submit:
Any member of CnH is eligible to submit photos.

The deadline:
I'll accept photos from now until October 22, 2009. Anything submitted after that will not be accepted.

How the voting works:
1. I will create six polls. One for Jan/Feb, March/April, etc. Seasonal photos will be included in the appropriate months (i.e. Easter, Christmas, etc.). Each poll will probably be limited to a maximum of 8 photos.

2. The two that receive the highest votes from each poll will go in to the calendar.

3. Then a final poll will be set up for the cover with the final 12 images.

I hope that's not too confusing!

How the photos are chosen for voting:
Once I receive the photos, I'll give each photo a number, and print them out. I will go only on photographic merit, on what I think would make a good calendar photo, and not base it on who's photo it is. Please don't be offended if your photo doesn't get included in the final vote. No doubt I will receive more than the 48 entries, so unfortunately some won't make it. If we do receive more than 48 awesome photos, we may increase the number in the poll. That will be decided after photos have been submitted.

I'm also going to leave names off the poll entries as well, so it doesn't turn into a popularity contest. No doubt you may recognize some of the photos that are submitted, and who submitted them, but please base your vote on the quality of the photo, not who took it.

Polls will be up hopefully not too long after submissions close. I will finalize voting dates once they're up.

Please do NOT ask/troll for votes on other forums. If this happens, it will result in the person's photo being disqualified, and the polls reset.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thank you to everyone who submits!

I was just asked if the 4 photo limit was a combined total for both the chin and hedgie calendars or 4 for each calendar. It is 4 for each calendar.

Come on hedgie people. I know you have lots of wonderful photos to submit. We can't have a hedgie calendar if we don't have any entries.

We had many, many people ask about a hedgie calendar on CnQ, and now that we've got one set up, nobody is interested? I would love to see a hedgie calendar done with all the cute pictures I see on here. There are bunches right here on forum already that would be great in the calendar - doesn't anybody want to see their beautimuss hedgies immortalized in our CnH calendar??

I have tons of great pics of my Penny & some great closeups but they aren't high res, so Ive been trying to figure this all out.... Hopefully I have some pics left on my cam and I can upload them straight to the comp and fix it from there? I will try tomorrow.

I have tons of great pics of my Penny & some great closeups but they aren't high res, so Ive been trying to figure this all out.... Hopefully I have some pics left on my cam and I can upload them straight to the comp and fix it from there? I will try tomorrow.
The photos you submitted were very nice, they were just too small and would become pixilated when blown up to 8 1/2 x 11. I assume that when you resized them for posting on the web, you overwrote the original file. I developed the naming/saving practice I now use because I did the same thing and ruined more than one photo. I change the name of my resized files when saving by adding -S to the end of the name so that I know it is a resized version and I still have the original intact (i.e. sophie.jpg becomes sophie-S.jpg when saved after resizing). If you view your files by name, this also puts the resized photos right after the originals. I never save altered photos with the exact name of the original. This practice does take up more storage space, but I never have to worry about having messed up the file and it being ruined for future use.

I have a kazillion pictures and have been trying to figure out the best 4. I'll send them to you small if you want and if you choose them, then I'll send full size.

I have a kazillion pictures and have been trying to figure out the best 4. I'll send them to you small if you want and if you choose them, then I'll send full size.
Please submit them full size from the start. That way I can make sure they work and it will save me a step.

Thanks.

Hey some of us require time to be creative and to submit a proper submission :). I'll probably have a couple for you. But it won't be until closer to the deadline. I've got a couple of weeks to look through a few thousand images and to take new ones right?

Hey some of us require time to be creative and to submit a proper submission :). I'll probably have a couple for you. But it won't be until closer to the deadline. I've got a couple of weeks to look through a few thousand images and to take new ones right?
Of course you have time. The deadline isn't until October 22nd, but we were getting a bit panicky as there hadn't been much interest from the hedgie side. ;)

I think the hardest part is to chose. Plus I plan on making a new photoshoot of both, when quarentaine is over (the best place light wise is the living room).

I can submit the Christmas photos of Maizy from last and year before, if I still have them around. I'm sure I do. They would be a larger size and resolution if you prefer that.

I can submit the Christmas photos of Maizy from last and year before, if I still have them around. I'm sure I do. They would be a larger size and resolution if you prefer that.
Please submit them full size. That saves me a step in having to ask you to resubmit the full size version.

Menagerie, you're not gonna be dissapointed when I post my pics (I have a D-SLR) they're gonna be huge.

We need a lot more hedgie photos. I'm increasing the number of photos per person (on the hedgie calendar only) to 6 per person. Everybody dig through your photos or take some more.

I may still have a pic of Maizy in the snow too. It was a morning we had a light beautiful white snow covering the ground, so I opened the garage to get a quick shot of Maizy in the snow before she got chilly.

I'd submit but all I have is my laptop camera and a room with very bad lighting. *sad*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back