Odd behavior

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CerLynn

Kenai's behavior has been confusing me a bit lately. Sometimes, both in the cage and at playtime (always when I'm playing with him or scritching him), he'll get excited and kind of bite and tug my hand/arm, make some squeaking noises, and then sort of mount my hand/arm, but no humping. I've also seen him do the squeak-and-mount with his fleece buddy a couple times. Is this just a puberty thing? He just turned one last week, so I'm imagining it could be. I don't really mind the behavior (except when the biting is a bit hard), but I thought I'd see if any of you have any insight... just want to make sure I'm not upsetting him in some way. Thanks!

It's probably a puberty thing. Hormones in young chins have crazy effects on their little bodies. They can be more hyper and definitely show more dominant or aggressive behavior. Most chins grow out of it in a few months but some may continue to be this way for a year or more. Almost always by the time a chin is around 2 years old he'll mellow out and stop being so insane. There is the rare case where a chin will not outgrow it, even if he's neutered!

You aren't doing anything to upset him. This is just how he is...wait it out and he'll probably stop once his body isn't as flooded with those little hormones that tell him he's a boy.

Latest posts

Back