Occasional Sneezes...URI??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naduah82

Hi everyone...I have a chin who is recovering from GI Stasis, she's doing a LOT better, eating & drinking & pooping but she's still on reglan for about another week to make sure it's completely gone.

However when I get her out for playtime sometimes she sneezes very lightly, she doesn't sneeze all the time though, maybe 2 or 3 times a day max. Her eyes & nose are clear and she seems pretty happy and energetic. I can't tell if she's breathing heavy or if that's just the way chins breath, there's no sound to her breathing but it looks like she's breathing fast unless that's normal? (She only does that during playtime while she's running around) Does anyone know of a video of a chin breathing hard or one with URI? I called the vet & left a message, does this sound like possible URI??

My chin sneezes sometimes. I notice it's either after her dust bath or right before she plops down to sleep on her side. I've asked the vet about it, and there is never anything wrong with her and her lungs always sound clear. Chloe did have a minor URI 5 months ago, but I never saw her breathing heavy I just noticed a little mucus on her nose and heard her wheeze a few times. She recovered from it quickly; either it wasn't too virulent or it was caught early, don't know which.

I honestly didn't notice the wheezing for a bit, it was hard to tell when she was making noise unless I had my ear to her mouth at all times. I'd suggest hold her for a bit, listen to hear if she makes noise breathing (this is different from hearing her sniffing your ear--took me a while to tell the difference!), look up her nose with a flashlight and if you can easily, get someone to listen to her lungs with a stethoscope. It might be nothing, but I'd be extra careful as she'll be prone to getting sick since she's still recovering from something else.

Gizmo has a URI a few months ago and since then, he'll sneeze from time to time. Some people say that chins may have allergic reactions to things. I always notice that whenever I thoroughly clean my room, Giz will sneeze a bit (as will I). Its from kicking up all the dust and whatever else is in the room.

I would keep an eye on it. If you notice mucous (fresh or dried on flakes), then take her to the vet. The day I noticed dried mucous flakes on his nose, I called the vet for an appt for the next day, the day after that, he was wheezing and sneezing so badly. Granted, he was already starting his medications and made a full recovery.

This is not my video but here is heavy breathing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6ETrlLHHtg

My chin doesn't look "as bad" but she does breath like that sometimes during playtime, I'm calling the vet back & telling him right away. Any suggestions if he put's her on antibiotics with her just starting to get over GI stasis? She's still eating, drinking & pooping plus she's not weak looking like the chin in the video. Still has her same personality, but she is wiping her nose a lot but there's nothing coming out of it & her eyes are clear.

Latest posts

Back