Nuvaring?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done the pill, patch and ring. Pill, well it just sucks trying to remember to take it, the patch SUCKED, no matter what the ads say that thing does come off, makes your skin red and it leaves a sticky ring around it when you take it off.... eww! I have been on the ring now for around 3 years and I LOVE it! I have have had no weight gain, no difference in my flow, no problems at all. I order it through a mail order pharmacy that my health care provides and it cost me $80 for a 3 month supply.

Pills made me gain weight. Don't care for them anymore. I was on Depo shots for over 6 months and had constant spotting... Very annoying. Loved the patch until I heard so many horrible stories. I really love the rings. No side effects and easy to use, although I am still gaining weight. I'll have to blame the weight gain on my eating-too-much and not-exercising.;)

i have Nuvaring. and i love it! :)
Before my periods were beyond heavy and they hurt so bad i would throw up! but now they are super light and no more cramps!
I use to take Yasmine. && I hated it! i would finish my pills and when i got ready to start taking the new set is when i would start!

hmmm.............might have to check this ring thing out. wish i could get my insurance to cover tying my tubes though! would be SO much easier!

Yes, that's why I have opted for Paragard, a copper IUD with no hormones. It's expensive though. $500 plus when you include tax and shipping, plus they insist that the patient place the order for it anfd pay up front before they will ship it to your doctor's office. The process of getting it has been a pain, but it will sure be worth it if I don't have to worry about birth control for the next decade.

Do not keep reading if you don't want TMI.

I have asthma and allergies, too. I had the Paragard first for about a year...and then it was removed because my periods were crazy. They did all kinds of blood tests, etc. and the only thing left to blame it on was the IUD. Before I had it put in I was regular...every 28 days down to the hour! (No joke!) Then it was off 2 or 3 weeks, on for 7-14 days and varied. So they removed it, and my youngest was conceived 3 days later when hubby "forgot". LOL.
So, she was born in April of 05 and when I finished nursing, my periods went right back to the crazy schedule they were on before I got the first IUD removed. I got the Mirena in April 06. (Both IUDs were covered by insurance which was why I opted for that rather than having hubby get the V.) For the first year, periods were the same. Since then, it has gotten lighter and more spread out. I have a period every 4-6 weeks that lasts 24-48 hours and even then it's a little more than spotting.

I've been on NuvaRing for the past three years and it's been my favorite (I've done the pill and depo before too). My periods have been lighter and I don't have cramps like I used to. It can get easy to forget since you don't change it for three weeks, but if you're good at keeping a schedule I totally recommend it!

As someone else noted, this post may have TMI in it, so if you want to stop reading here, that's cool.

My primary method of birth control is NuvaRing used in conjunction with condoms. The reason for the barrier method is because I am on a medication that decreases the effectiveness of birth control medications, particularly those that are processed through the liver (e.g., oral contraceptives). Even though NuvaRing bypasses the liver for its delivery method, the boyfriend and I still use a barrier method just to be safe.

NuvaRing is my second attempt at a non-oral contraceptive. I think it's a good method and I'm content to stay on it. My cycle settled down quickly on it (after it got off-kilter while on the patch), my moods got a little better, but my PMS headaches have become bad again. I like the 21 days in-7 days out cycle, and I also like not having to worry about whether or not it was in my system long enough if I wind up being sick. I don't feel it, but I have pushed a little too hard/long while trying to poo and wound up starting to push the ring out instead (so it *can* happen - just rarely). The BF says he feels it during intimate times, but he says he doesn't mind it. I can't feel it, but I can't help but think it must be weird for him (even though he says it isn't).

My first attempt at non-oral contraceptives, mentioned earlier, was the patch (Ortho Evra). It moved, it sometimes fell off, it would pull on my skin or bunch up, the adhesive irritated my skin much worse than normal bandages, and it just didn't seem to keep me as regulated as the pill had.

So, with that said, I was on the BCP for years and my pill of choice, Triphasil-28, worked well for me. At one point, I switched from Triphasil to Tri Levelen because of insurance costs. It caused irregularities in my cycle and my moods. I switched back to Triphasil after a few months when the BF offered to split the cost of getting me back on a pill I preferred and didn't mess up my system. As I mentioned at the beginning of all this, the only reason I went off the pill was because of the other medication that interferes with it. Still, at this point, I doubt I'd go back to the BCP even if I do get off the other medication.

---Lisa Ann

I've been on Nuvaring for about a week now. So far, so good. I was really paranoid at first about it falling out, but now I don't even remember its there most of the time. Hopefully, it'll keep up the good work!

Back